Started on: 10-31-2016 05:39 PM
Replies: 11 (338 views)
Last post by: FieroStore on 11-04-2016 01:05 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just lowered a powertrain down and noticed that the dust shields that attach around the rear bearing hub were rusted through and through. Anyone know where I can get a good set?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a set from an '88... Lemme know if ya want em!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, if its for just the rear of a 84-87 Fiero...TFS sells them at 40$ / pair.

Check it out in the brake section.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Dennis, if its for just the rear of a 84-87 Fiero...TFS sells them at 40$ / pair.

Check it out in the brake section.

Appreciate the lead but $39 for two pieces of sheet metal doesn't seem like a good buy. If nothing good used comes up then its the Fiero Store by default.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, my recently acquired 87 GT has none installed, hasn't had them since the grand am brake swap over 10 years ago. I drove in the rain myself twice now with no detrimental effects.
I have a truck with one that is missing on the rear (S10 ZR2 with rear disc) and it has no issues even in winter.
Are they needed?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 11-01-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

I've got a set from an '88... Lemme know if ya want em!

Checked the parts book. The 88 rear shields are different than the 84-87 shields. Thanks for offering though. The question is the part number listing different because they changed the design and is the bolt hole spacing the same.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 11-02-2016).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Interesting, my recently acquired 87 GT has none installed, hasn't had them since the grand am brake swap over 10 years ago. I drove in the rain myself twice now with no detrimental effects.
I have a truck with one that is missing on the rear (S10 ZR2 with rear disc) and it has no issues even in winter.
Are they needed?

Good question. Don't know the answer but we must ask why they were put there?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Appreciate the lead but $39 for two pieces of sheet metal doesn't seem like a good buy.

While the rear dust shields are indeed two pieces of metal, they are die stamped and formed using tools that carry significant cost. They are also powder coated. If they were two flat pieces of steel that we could simply laser cut, they would certainly be much less expensive.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theres no real harm in not having them. Dirt and water get past them easily. In fact it would probably let your brakes run cooler if they were gone. My race car didnt have them.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good question. Don't know the answer but we must ask why they were put there?

May be mostly beneficial in keeping dirt from the pads, which would likely mostly happen on dirt roads. I did wonder about wet discs and that causing poor braking if the disc wast hot enough to keep dry. But haven't had any negative effect yet.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroStore:

While the rear dust shields are indeed two pieces of metal, they are die stamped and formed using tools that carry significant cost. They are also powder coated. If they were two flat pieces of steel that we could simply laser cut, they would certainly be much less expensive.

I have dealt with you guys many times before and have always been pleased. I was under the impression that your dust shields were just repainted used shields. Were they not in the past? For brand new shields that have a significant tooling cost associated with them, I would agree that the price is in line. Thanks for clearing things up.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was under the impression that your dust shields were just repainted used shields. Were they not in the past? For brand new shields that have a significant tooling cost associated with them, I would agree that the price is in line. Thanks for clearing things up.

No problem, the shields have always been new. For future reference, we always identify reconditioned parts as such. If you don't see 'used', 'reconditioned', or 'refurbished', the part will be brand new. Reconditioned parts almost always include a core charge as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock