Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Modern Interior - Need your input! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Modern Interior - Need your input! by Slammed
Started on: 10-26-2016 08:07 PM
Replies: 84 (4251 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-21-2017 12:21 AM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Aren't you a bit biased being one of the only ones to complete a firebird dash swap?

This is something you can swap in an afternoon. Something else to consider is this isn't fiberglass work. Once we complete the tooling, which will cost very little as ABS has a low forming temp compared to say the polyc we use for valve covers, we can make the molds out of mdf and get hundreds of pulls. If I ran both my machines all day, I could easily pump out 10 complete console and gauge housing kits, packaged and ready to ship per day. Not that it would be needed but it's just a point to make. I won't say how much a whole kit will cost to produce, but it isn't much.

Fair, I have no idea what your costs are, and I am a bit biased, but I do know that a Firebird dash can be done in a weekend for a couple hundred dollars in parts and labor.

If you can produce the dash for $600 then great! We need new products for the community, I support 100%. But the main reason I did a swap was to update the gauges, I just have never been a fan of dash swaps that use the old 80s gauges. But that's just my personal opinion. Not a criticism of what your doing.
IP: Logged
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's good criticism, I appreciate it! Really what it comes down to is availability and compatibility. We'd have to source everything and make sure it'd work with swaps and the complexity increases cost. Then there is trouble shooting for customers if something doesn't work right, it is all just a lot at the price we are shooting for.

Added a little bit to it

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-02-2016).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... what it comes down to is availability and compatibility. We'd have to source everything and make sure it'd work with swaps and the complexity increases cost. Then there is trouble shooting for customers if something doesn't work right, it is all just a lot at the price we are shooting for.

Good point... I know how to hook up the Firebird gauges and make them plug and play 100% and troubleshoot if something doesn't work right, but I couldn't make a dash like that to save my life. It is a very nice looking setup. Keeping with the stock gauges makes it easier.

In addition to Firebird gauges, I've had a couple of folks send me their Sunbird Turbo tachs for calibration.... that kind of stuff is easy for me to do. Maybe sourcing gauges as an upgrade would be easier than you realize?
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely look into something to update the ac controls. That's my biggest catch right now trying to figure out how to update my interior. I also agree with ditching the factory gauges but I don't want 90s gm gauges, either, so an option for a blank gauge panel to mount your own gauges would be great. I think going with a Speed Hut 6 gauge set.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

I also agree with ditching the factory gauges but I don't want 90s gm gauges, either, so an option for a blank gauge panel to mount your own gauges would be great. I think going with a Speed Hut 6 gauge set.

That's a fair criticism... I've been rocking the 90s Firebird gauges since 2002 and I'm getting tired of them. If I had a modern OBD2 engine there would be tons of options. But for old school analog systems there isn't much I like that are that much better.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gauge cluster tooling is going to be cast aluminum then machined but the rest is mdf and fiberglass. Still a lot to do. Working on a compartment and pop out cupholders in the rear wall portion

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-15-2016).]

Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be watching and maybe interested depending on how much finish work it would be for me to do during install.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be zero. It'll come right out of the vacuum former to the exact same size every single time. We'll pre cut all the holes and fillet all the edges. Install should be a couple hours at most, totally plug and play

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-15-2016).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you do me a favor, and measure the width of the inside of the console, in the area that the white material is located. I am installing a touchscreen in my car, and if this console will accommodate the width of it, you have sold a console already

This is a PhotoShop rendidtion I did 5 years ago:

I actually started to try to fabricate it, and never finished. Here I was getting the dimensions and shapes using cardboard:

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It it 7.25". Big enough for a standard double din with 1/8" bezel
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It it 7.25". Big enough for a standard double din with 1/8" bezel

Wow, that is really narrow.... The stock Fiero console width is 10 inches. 7.25" is just an inch wider than the length of a dollar bill for comparison.

Will that leave enough room for a standard radio and bezel? The radio I have has a pretty thin bezel, and it would just barely fit, leaving just about the thickness of a piece of paper on each side.

PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All din type radios are 7.09" wide. The majority of which have a face that is not wider than that. The bezel will be a permanently molded in raised section of the console and the stereo will install from the back, not slide in through the front. All 8 of the stereos I have here fit
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the 350Z cluster is pretty nice...

https://www.facebook.com/ph...26676&type=3&theater
hoddy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoddySend a Private Message to hoddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even though I could never afford to get one freighted over here I reckon a glovebox would be nice.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking nice thus far I really like the design.
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2016 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Slammed, with your plastic capabilities, would you consider doing some custom work? I've been trying to find a solution for using the Firebird door panels, but everyone that's already tried it doesn't really want to try it again (and most didn't quite get it right). I'd rather have it done right than to try hacking it up myself. Interested?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITR SOL:

Hey Slammed, with your plastic capabilities, would you consider doing some custom work? I've been trying to find a solution for using the Firebird door panels, but everyone that's already tried it doesn't really want to try it again (and most didn't quite get it right). I'd rather have it done right than to try hacking it up myself. Interested?

I have door panels in the works right now that are based off the firebird and camaro 4th gen panels. Bolt on as well aside from a bit of drilling to relocate the door handles and lock levers
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent you a PM.
Didn't want to hijack this thread.
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2016 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have door panels in the works right now that are based off the firebird and camaro 4th gen panels. Bolt on as well aside from a bit of drilling to relocate the door handles and lock levers

If you're looking for a test subject, I'm your guy. Let me know what I can do to help out. ALso, still looking for the notchback lense replacements.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2016 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking real good. I really like what you are doing.

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2016 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do have a time frame for availability? Pm sent
PFF
System Bot
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beginning of January for the console and end of January for the gauge setup
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed , Just my preference , but all gauges should be at one level for the driver. Anything that takes away the drivers attention from the road is just asking for trouble. To many times these days people are playing with the new toys that todays car have and loose control of their car. Other than that, the design looks great.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2016 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am interested and will be watching to see how it looks installed
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh I am loving this! Totally interested!
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the center council skeleton be needed?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope!
REDLINE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2016 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for REDLINESend a Private Message to REDLINEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New member here! I would definitely be interested in this upgrade as I will be starting my AD355 build in early 2017. I have been looking at options for a interior change as I don't want to stay with the stock Fiero but may not go full 355 interior either as it gets quite pricey. This design may be just the ticket. Looking forward to your finished product and if it looks as good as the renderings I may want a complete interior package.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updated pics?

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next pictures will likely be the completed product in the beginning of January when they are ready for purchase
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welll, I know where my tax return is going. I absolutely want a set. As for the options for finish, I would like Alcantara that matches the stock '88's two tone. Think we can figure that out and or get a rendering?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2016 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any "upholstery" option would be vinyl thermoformed over the parts. Actual upholstery work is something I'm not capable of doing and would make this very expensive
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2016 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the original shift boot ring still going to be used? I need a new one and will order if that is the case.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2017 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to offer matching, 2 or 3 gauge clusters for additional gauges such as, manifold pressure, vacuum etc.
Good luck with your endeavor
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2017 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me on the list. Can leave a deposit.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2017 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
waiting for updates
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2017 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm all for an update. I would like to purchase if it comes out like the rendering.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-15-2017).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything on how it is coming along
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone be alert! Check out the continuing "Tail Light Repair Lenses" soap opera in the mall. Be informed, and be careful with your money.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock