Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Modern Interior - Need your input! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Modern Interior - Need your input! by Slammed
Started on: 10-26-2016 08:07 PM
Replies: 84 (4242 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-21-2017 12:21 AM
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're going to start creating the first one of these consoles and gauge housings this week, with plans to start production very soon after IF there is interest.

Available in leather grain ABS plastic ready to paint, pre-painted or upholstered. $600 shipped for the ready to paint version including all the wiring, buttons, switches and brackets.

If you could spend $600 to bring your Fiero out of the 80s, would you do it? Aside from posting here I have no clue if this is even a worthwhile venture. So please, chime in! Constantly changing things in the dash console portion. The shifter back is all finalized

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-02-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this a complete unit, or does it build on the stock dash? Either way I think you're on to something, but keep in mind you're going to have a limited market of people who even SAY they would buy it, and even fewer of those people who SAY they will buy it will actually crack their wallet.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that your reputation around here doesn't put you in a great position at this point. I understand you have done some restructuring and such, so perhaps before going all-in with new products, perhaps build some positive reputation for a while?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the first one is getting made regardless and it's a very small investment. Just trying to plan ahead I suppose

Stock dash. Completely replaced console firewall to dash
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And a custom instrument pod? Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm still trying to figure out what you're planning. Right now the benchmark for custom interior is the Amida G1. It's an outstanding piece, though it appears you're going for a lower price point.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Napoleon_Tanerite

683 posts
Member since Sep 2015
Also, what may be in greater demand than a custom piece would be a reproduction of the stock console skeleton. The problem with custom stuff is you're NEVER going to get everyone to agree on a design because everyone has a different vision. At least with OE reproduction parts nobody can complain so long as you faithfully reproduce the design.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
make a gauge pod that accepts the early model firebird / camaro gauges like the 90 fiero would have had. There is a market for it!
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the design exercise you're doing here. My personal take on it would be the same for the instrument cluster pod, but the console would end at the shifter surround, or at least the original armrest console. I've thought of doing the same, pulled a dash from a donor, but didn't get very far yet. Nice work.
Where are the hvac vents, or are those gt gauges in the console?
Cokeologist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would prefer to see the instrument cluster housing and HVAC/radio surround from the 89/90 Fiero prototype reproduced.

[This message has been edited by Cokeologist (edited 10-27-2016).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If and when you do make a prototype and install it fully functional. Take the car to Fiero shows for people to see it in person.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-27-2016).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes and a custom gauge housing. Reproduction consoles are coming first and are almost done. Every warped piece will be replaceable, not covered like the caps that are out now.

Skeleton is coming too.

As far as the 89/90 Fiero interior, it too is dated. Maybe I see the rendering differently and know my materials better, but I envision something much more high end.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's probably been said, but cupholders should be considered, as well as the HVAC outlets that are in the stock console. Either missing would be a deal breaker for me.
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cup holders under the arm rest and one pop out from the passenger side of the console next to the hvac controls. The hvac outlets are whats up top and are not going to be original. For cars with rally gauges I'm going to move them down in front of the shifter, under the hvac controls and above the switches in the rendering

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 10-27-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Yes and a custom gauge housing. Reproduction consoles are coming first and are almost done. Every warped piece will be replaceable, not covered like the caps that are out now.

Skeleton is coming too.

As far as the 89/90 Fiero interior, it too is dated. Maybe I see the rendering differently and know my materials better, but I envision something much more high end.

You should do a headliner.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like the board? Doesn't someone already make them?

Updated the rendering. Smoother transition up the center

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 10-27-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like the board? Doesn't someone already make them?

Updated the rendering. Smoother transition up the center

Fierostore sells an ABS one. I don't know if there is a way to a better price point. But it could also be custom design.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Fierostore sells an ABS one. I don't know if there is a way to a better price point. But it could also be custom design.

We'll be doing business with them so I don't know how they'd feel about that. But you are right about that price point. Yikes.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2016 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can vouch for the headliner sold by TFS. Better than stock, and the price is spectacular for what you get. Maybe you could reproduce some of the pillar molding, especially the A and C pillars, as they tend to crack.

Another item that would be nice would be a new shift surround that extends and perhaps deepens the slots that are ash trays in the stock surround. If you could make them maybe 7-8" long and 2-3" deep they would make great places to hold a cell phone. The stock ash trays are just a bit too short to hold a modern cellphone.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slammed, Check out this thread.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000035.html

might pop some ideas into your head!
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Slammed, Check out this thread.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000035.html

might pop some ideas into your head!

You sure were thorough in making sure I saw this lol This was based on his interior. I actually posted a thread about it a week or so ago.
BlackCherryGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackCherryGTSend a Private Message to BlackCherryGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you update the first post with a list of what is specifically included and what the buyer would need to do other than paint. For instance, shifter boot and or bezel, which switches and wiring, replacement hvac controls or uses existing, gauge face plate, etc.

Looks great.

k
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea if the material used in these pieces would also have warping issues in warmer situations or when a vehicle is in the sun?

PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackCherryGT:

Could you update the first post with a list of what is specifically included and what the buyer would need to do other than paint. For instance, shifter boot and or bezel, which switches and wiring, replacement hvac controls or uses existing, gauge face plate, etc.

Looks great.

k

Everything you would need is included. Boot, bezels, trim, brackets, relays for the window switches, extension wiring for the headlight and defrost/trunk popper, and it would use the existing HVAC controls for now.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slammed

783 posts
Member since Mar 2015

Originally posted by Steel:

Any idea if the material used in these pieces would also have warping issues in warmer situations or when a vehicle is in the sun?

Never
ltlgt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about gauges? Use stock ones? And what about the rally gauges in the middle that s lot of use have?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No console "pocket" is a big issue to many. Most Fiero has no place to store even insurance card etc as it is now except that pocket.

Originally posted by Steel:
Good Q because Interior of many cars can easy reach 160°F even in cool weather. ~200°F is no problem in summer even in northern states.

Buyer painted or not... All finishes must be UV stable too. Tinted glass helps but wrong paint etc will fade or otherwise degrade.
UV is a big reason why seat fabric etc destroys itself over time even when passengers seats are hardly or never used.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

No console "pocket" is a big issue to many. Most Fiero has no place to store even insurance card etc as it is now except that pocket.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steel:
Good Q because Interior of many cars can easy reach 160°F even in cool weather. ~200°F is no problem in summer even in northern states.

Buyer painted or not... All finishes must be UV stable too. Tinted glass helps but wrong paint etc will fade or otherwise degrade.
UV is a big reason why seat fabric etc destroys itself over time even when passengers seats are hardly or never used.

[/QUOTE]

There is a console pocket in the renderings in other threads.

ABS glass transition temp is 221*. It isn't going to warp. Even cheap Krylon Maxx has UV inhibitors in it now.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slammed

783 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Added the rally gauges and sorted out the buttons

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will it be possible to eliminate the switches or modify easily?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just not cut the holes out for the switches. The gauge cluster I have designed eliminates the head light, parking, defrost and trunk popper so the switches on the console are for those.

ABS can very easily be cut and glued. Whatever mods you would want to make would not be hard
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I'd be in for a set of pillar and other moldings if it could come in black. I'm attempting a Firebird interior in black and am still trying to decide how to go with the color change for the stock Fiero bits.
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it for the most part but would change a couple small things.

The two ports on the top I imagine are the HVAC vents. I personally don't think they flow with the design very well and also believe they are too small to be effective. It's one thing to have a good looking interior, another to hate driving anywhere in it because you can't get good airflow. Great example is my wife's equinox in which the driver vents basically excel at cooling your hands on the steering wheel and that's about it.

Also with the HVAC are the controls. The stock ones look wildly out of place with your design.

Next is the switches for the headlights and such. I like the location and switches you have rendered, but don't like how you have them raised up so high. I would prefer they were on one smooth plate that is only raised up a couple mm. It would break up the blank space there but not put a large ridge like there is now.

Lastly is the shifter. Everything is being included in the price to achieve the look of what is in the picture for the most part. Except the shifter you have rendered is several inches shorter than a stock Fiero shifter. Will a stock height shifter have any interference issues with your design?
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mr_corean:

I like it for the most part but would change a couple small things.

The two ports on the top I imagine are the HVAC vents. I personally don't think they flow with the design very well and also believe they are too small to be effective. It's one thing to have a good looking interior, another to hate driving anywhere in it because you can't get good airflow. Great example is my wife's equinox in which the driver vents basically excel at cooling your hands on the steering wheel and that's about it.

Also with the HVAC are the controls. The stock ones look wildly out of place with your design.

Next is the switches for the headlights and such. I like the location and switches you have rendered, but don't like how you have them raised up so high. I would prefer they were on one smooth plate that is only raised up a couple mm. It would break up the blank space there but not put a large ridge like there is now.

Lastly is the shifter. Everything is being included in the price to achieve the look of what is in the picture for the most part. Except the shifter you have rendered is several inches shorter than a stock Fiero shifter. Will a stock height shifter have any interference issues with your design?

The vents are a place holder for now, I haven't picked out a set. I have a couple ideas but need something affordable that I can just pick up, I don't want to injection mold new ones if I dont have to. I'm trying to come up with an alternate HVAC control, dissecting an old one and converting the cable from a linear pull to a rotation and changing the buttons to something more slick. This is a rendering of the most basic package. The shift knob pictured sits .5" lower than the stock shifter. I can't imagine anyone wanting to keep the big wonky Fiero shift lever but it should work.

I appreciate all input. Any critiques. I got a message saying with the stock HVAC it look like a retro television lol

This any better? I agree with all of your ideas

maybe just replace hvac buttons, knob and slider

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 10-31-2016).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a big fan of repackaging the 30 year old gauges. In my opinion if you are going to go to all that trouble use modern gauges or better yet go digital, and not LEDs but a screen like on modern cars.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$600 or new gauges. This is supposed to be an outline for the most basic package. Gauges will come later.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The console concept looks very nice but IMO the main item that makes the Fiero interior look dated is the rectangular speedometer console. If that console was replaced with something more modern looking that would be something that I would be interested in buying. Perhaps adding the center console as a complimentary option.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gauge cluster housing change is in the renderings in the OP

Replacement needles and faces would make the stock cluster look a million times better

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 11-01-2016).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$600 or new gauges. This is supposed to be an outline for the most basic package. Gauges will come later.

For $600 I would do a Firebird dash. It's not plug and play but looks 1000% better than stock. Your dash renderings look really good, but I don't think you can produce a totally new custom dash at that price point. But I would not repackage the stock gauges either way. Even with replacement needles and faces it's better, but not enough for $600. That is my humble opinion.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-02-2016).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your latest rendering of the console is getting my attention. The switches behind the shifter are exactly like the switches I have to operate my windows.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

For $600 I would do a Firebird dash. It's not plug and play but looks 1000% better than stock. Your dash renderings look really good, but I don't think you can produce a totally new custom dash at that price point. But I would not repackage the stock gauges either way. Even with replacement needles and faces it's better, but not enough for $600. That is my humble opinion.

Aren't you a bit biased being one of the only ones to complete a firebird dash swap?

This is something you can swap in an afternoon. Something else to consider is this isn't fiberglass work. Once we complete the tooling, which will cost very little as ABS has a low forming temp compared to say the polyc we use for valve covers, we can make the molds out of mdf and get hundreds of pulls. If I ran both my machines all day, I could easily pump out 10 complete console and gauge housing kits, packaged and ready to ship per day. Not that it would be needed but it's just a point to make. I won't say how much a whole kit will cost to produce, but it isn't much.
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last change I'd make would be to set the rally gauge and screen surround a little deeper into the back plate. I'm definitely digging the flat on the top of the gauge pod. Ties the curves to the flat stock dash together pretty good.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock