Started on: 10-24-2016 11:02 AM
Replies: 19 (1095 views)
Last post by: nosrac on 11-10-2016 05:31 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started on another hood scoop yesterday.
Hole cut, scoop bonded in.
This same scoop for my car took way too long, so this time I`m going to see if I can cut down the finishing time to make this
a profitable endeavor.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I wish there was a good one that could be put in and not filled/blended/require repainting hood... and look good.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-25-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one that`s on my car now took longer than I expected.
The bonding of the scoop

I used too much filler.
It should have only needed about a 3-4" ribbon round the perimeter.
Also, I just used filler which shows the seam where the scoop and the hood meet.
This one I`m doing now will get fiberglass mat over seam.

In primer.

And final paint.

The present one should take less time to complete.

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good work, I've been looking all over the internet for different reverse hood scoops like this one.

------------------
Any Oregonians out there?

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do a general search on the web
Angel on earth fiero
Paul on here makes this one plus a couple more

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 10-25-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hole cut for mesh and top fiberglassed.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unboundmo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see all these scoops and such.. From everywhere.. Great job, by the way.. They all look great and I know they are functional... I would love to have one as well...

But what happens if you "show".. With hoods up. How does one clean up the underneath to look like factory again after they've chopped it all up?.. I haven't really ever seen a factory-clean setup around the support framing of the hood.

How do you tackle this?

------------------

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 11-06-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my hood I used abs to fill in the hole left
On this one I'm actually moulding in the bottom of
the scoop into the hood
I will post a pic when I get it filled in
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I love your work.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by unboundmo:

I see all these scoops and such.. From everywhere.. Great job, by the way.. They all look great and I know they are functional... I would love to have one as well...

But what happens if you "show".. With hoods up. How does one clean up the underneath to look like factory again after they've chopped it all up?.. I haven't really ever seen a factory-clean setup around the support framing of the hood.

How do you tackle this?

Good thought.
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Terrance, did you get a hood to use on your car?
I felt bad that I didn`t get the one I had finished in a timely manner.
It still isn`t done, but after I finish this one, I`m going to finish that other one and if you need it in the future I will make you a good deal on it.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just make a pattern and cut it out of plastic/ 1/8" wood to fit the whole inside of the hood. You can paint it, cover it with fabric or carpet. I did the inside of my SuperBees trunk with paneling and glued on low pile carpet, and just screwed it to reinforcement braces underneath. You couldnt see the screw heads in the carpet, killed a lot of road noise and looked good at car shows. Prob spent 2 hours on it. Ive seen a lot of show cars where they cut it out of mirrored plastic and just used a few nice chrome headed screws and washers or heavy duty velcro. Thats really big for Corvette guys.

its just plastic and you cut it with a bandsaw or jigsaw, and sand the edges with a block.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-09-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just make a pattern and cut it out of plastic/ 1/8" wood to fit the whole inside of the hood. You can paint it, cover it with fabric or carpet. I did the inside of my SuperBees trunk with paneling and glued on low pile carpet, and just screwed it to reinforcement braces underneath. You couldnt see the screw heads in the carpet, killed a lot of road noise and looked good at car shows. Prob spent 2 hours on it. Ive seen a lot of show cars where they cut it out of mirrored plastic and just used a few nice chrome headed screws and washers or heavy duty velcro. Thats really big for Corvette guys.

its just plastic and you cut it with a bandsaw or jigsaw, and sand the edges with a block.

That`s a good idea and I sort of did that on my hood for my car.
The only problem is in the front the scoop doesn`t come all the way up flush to the rest of the structure so you would have a void.

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is cutting the brace and not reinforcing it back, make the hood Wobbly?.. I can't see carpet up there... I've had over splash on the hood several times.. It's 90 degrees in November now with 100-105's through the summer, I want to make sure I'm full.

I was more thinking in the line of a redesign of this brace structure in order to except the scoop and to look like Pontiac did it that way to begin with.... Not with panels?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My hood doesn`t seem to be any more flexible than it was before cutting for the scoop.
The way you bond the scoop onto the hood makes the scoop itself become a supporting part of the hood.
Mainly because initially you only cut through the upper skin of the hood and the scoop fits flush and sits on the underneath support.
Then you just cut out the part of the support that allows the bottom of the scoop to fit down through the lower bracing.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

That`s a good idea and I sort of did that on my hood for my car.
The only problem is in the front the scoop doesn`t come all the way up flush to the rest of the structure so you would have a void.

Thats easy too. just make another pattern of the underside of the scoop and cut out a 'spacer' from wood whatever thickness you need and paint it black or car color. it only needs to be an inch or two wide. Would be similar to a carb spacer. Just glue it to the underside with something like Liquid Nails.

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Thats easy too. just make another pattern of the underside of the scoop and cut out a 'spacer' from wood whatever thickness you need and paint it black or car color. it only needs to be an inch or two wide. Would be similar to a carb spacer. Just glue it to the underside with something like Liquid Nails.

Good idea, never thought of that.
I kind of played around with the idea of making a moulded piece to cover that cut-out plus hold the mesh with my vacuum forming box but I don`t make enough of those to make it feasible.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you build one off customs and kits for 40 years, you learn how to improvise and think out of the box a lot. You just study the problem and list anything that might work, then start eliminating what wont. I did some cars back in the 60s that needed rear wheel wells cut out for slicks or larger tires. If you just cut the quarters, its flimsy and sharp. Cutting pieces out of 55 gal drums i found out back and welding them on made them really strong and no more cut tire treads. It also made it easy to flare them nice and keep them strong.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I got one. Found one local to me on CL and scooped it up. I may still need the another one in the future.

Thx,

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Terrance, did you get a hood to use on your car?
I felt bad that I didn`t get the one I had finished in a timely manner.
It still isn`t done, but after I finish this one, I`m going to finish that other one and if you need it in the future I will make you a good deal on it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock