Steering Wheel Replacement by 85fieroguy
Started on: 10-20-2016 07:29 PM
Replies: 18 (1094 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 10-25-2016 01:52 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6'2 and could use some extra room at the knees. Has anyone ever replaced a stock Fiero steering wheel in a 85 GT ?? The " racing type" with a squared off bottom would be ideal. Don't have a clue as to if this is possible, but then again, on this site I find many innovative guys with advice. Any replies will be welcome.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Grant wheel in mine, just get the GM adapter to fit it to the column.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a Momo with the flat bottom in my car. It is very easy to get in and out. Here is an older picture:
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-1-060722.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Momo steering wheel on one car and stock steering wheels on the other three. I do not see any real difference wrt knee room and I am also 6 '2" tall. That being said all of my cars have a tilt steering wheel and I can adjust them upward for better leg clearance.

Nelson
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are the greatest !!...Thanks TEBAILEY, IMSA GT, FIEROSOUND, and HNTHOMPS.. may make it my next project
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a consideration, be careful if you decide to go with an aftermarket wheel. I have an 86 GT and an 87 GT, both are manual transmissions. My 87 had a grant wheel or a knock-off of grant, when I bought the car. Aside from looking ugly, it was also a good bit smaller than the stock GT wheel. The result? MUCH higher steering effort. It felt sporty and fun at first, but without power steering, it gets annoying pretty quick. I advise getting a wheel near stock size, flat bottom or not. And I mentioned my transmissions because it promotes one-handed steering, so the whole setup just really sucked for me. I had to spend a nice chunk to locate an OEM gt wheel in decent shape.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:
The result? MUCH higher steering effort. It felt sporty and fun at first, but without power steering, it gets annoying pretty quick. I had to spend a nice chunk to locate an OEM gt wheel in decent shape.

Viperine, thanks for sharing your experience. Good thing I decided to stay with my OEM GT wheel.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:
The result? MUCH higher steering effort. It felt sporty and fun at first, but without power steering, it gets annoying pretty quick. I advise getting a wheel near stock size, flat bottom or not.
And not just Fiero... Any car w/o PS have same issue w/ a small wheel. Had 11" one in a old Ford that got very tiring.

Note that some states can be illegal to use a small to very small steering wheel.
Small wheels can make the car very touchy and easy rip the wheel from your hands hitting pot holes etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to consider a larger steering wheel. I have the Trans Am steering wheel and it's not that much bigger but it's a bit closer to the driver which seems to give more leg room. As a bonus steering effort is reduced.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So no one on here likes to have a little work out when they drive? Lazy asses
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I used to drive a 34' International straight truck with manual steering. After that EVERYTHING felt like power steering.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but lack of power steering was lazy on Pontiac's part. Name one modern car sold today without power steering?
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If we did, wouldn't we just walk?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

I'm 6'2 and could use some extra room at the knees. Has anyone ever replaced a stock Fiero steering wheel in a 85 GT ?? The " racing type" with a squared off bottom would be ideal. Don't have a clue as to if this is possible, but then again, on this site I find many innovative guys with advice. Any replies will be welcome.

You could also replace your column with an adjustable Fiero steering column. Pull the lever and the steering wheel raises to your comfort level position.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but lack of power steering was lazy on Pontiac's part. Name one modern car sold today without power steering?

Lotus Elise
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

Lotus Elise

Nice try but the Elise hasn't been legal for sale in the US since 2011.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-25-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did this for more room with a Grant aftermarket wheel. I did not like the adapter that came with the wheel. It pushed the wheel toward me. I am 6', but have arms that are nearly 6" longer in span. Having the wheel so close was horrible.

With some very careful measurement, I was able to drill and tap new mount holes to the Fiero column.

I used the original Fiero emblem. A bit of patience, and I was able to carve out a void in the Grant horn button, and insert the OG emblem in it's place.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 10-25-2016).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The PO of mine tried to cut the center out of the Fiero wheel and weld a Grant to it. One good bump and I was able to separate them. NOT the safest way to go. Some people should NEVER be allowed to touch a wrench.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock