Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Is there an alternative when one has no ebrake? Line Lock maybe?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there an alternative when one has no ebrake? Line Lock maybe? by 2.5
Started on: 10-20-2016 12:32 PM
Replies: 13 (557 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 10-22-2016 04:45 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 GT has grand am rotors and calipers all the way around. So, no ebrake. Could something like a line lock be used instead?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking to pass a vehicle safety inspection, then a line lock won't work. The safety code specifically says the car needs a mechanical parking brake. Since the line lock is a device that's attached to the hydraulic brakes, it doesn't count as a mechanical brake.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Line lock is not intended for continuous use for over 30 or 60 seconds. The solenoid wouldn't last long if you wired it with a toggle switch. This is why line lock kits come with a momentary switch that requires you to hold it in as long as you need the front brakes locked.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

viperine

1401 posts
Member since Feb 2015
Furthermore, line lock has no value as a true emergency brake. As in you're driving, a hydraulic failure occurs and you have no brakes, line lock won't stop the car, whereas a functional mechanical brake/lever will. It's easy to forget that the e-brake is there for more than keeping a parked car from rolling away.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:
Line lock is not intended for continuous use for over 30 or 60 seconds. The solenoid wouldn't last long if you wired it with a toggle switch. This is why line lock kits come with a momentary switch that requires you to hold it in as long as you need the front brakes locked.
They make mechanical hydro locks for tow trucks etc but they are not made to park the vehicle either.

Big reason is Slave/Caliper seals are not design to hold pressure for more then a few minutes. If you parked and come back as little as 10-20 minute then can find the car/truck has moved. If the vehicle hits anything then expect legal problems. Insurance might not pay anything or not enough when you get sued. You might get arrested and have Criminal charges too.

Originally posted by Blacktree:
If you're looking to pass a vehicle safety inspection, then a line lock won't work. The safety code specifically says the car needs a mechanical parking brake. Since the line lock is a device that's attached to the hydraulic brakes, it doesn't count as a mechanical brake.
Yup.

The Only "easy" way is use Seville rear calipers to restore Parking Function but read https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097052.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-20-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Block of wood it is then

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Blacktree:

If you're looking to pass a vehicle safety inspection, .

Nah no inspections here.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a thought on this, just hear me out.

Many of the newer, foreign cars, come with EPB (electric parking brakes). Take a VW Tiguan for example. Perhaps one can design a bracket and a simple electrical circuit to make this all work. I don't think it seems too far fetched and I'd like to investigate this in the future.

I have a question though, if you're using the Grand Am rotor's, then why are you not using the Seville rear caliper with parking brake? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 10-21-2016).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2016 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lunatic:

I have a thought on this, just hear me out.

Many of the newer, foreign cars, come with EPB (electric parking brakes). Take a VW Tiguan for example. Perhaps one can design a bracket and a simple electrical circuit to make this all work. I don't think it seems too far fetched and I'd like to investigate this in the future.

I have a question though, if you're using the Grand Am rotor's, then why are you not using the Seville rear caliper with parking brake? Just curious.

what year sevilles?

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

what year sevilles?

1980-85 is what's used.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

VW etc use electric motors to activate/deactivate the parking brake but is purely mechanical pressure holding the pads/shoes when active. Note that Many cars etc w/ 4 wheel disk brakes have shoe/drum parking brake. The big tires, 16" and up, give room to do that.

Many don't use Seville rear because their cheap and/or lazy.
For a start... They have to make or buy brackets to work.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The swap was done before I got the car. I've had it 7 months, been working on other stuff. This is the fist time I've heard about the Seville stuff. From anyone. The car doesn't even have the cable parts on it.

Its a 5 speed, most of the time a parking/ emerg brake isn't "needed".

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-24-2016).]

darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a couple of alternatives for parking brakes towards the end of this article. Might give you some ideas. I looked into using something like the Jamar in-line hydraulic brake, but I went with the Seville calipers. I had a brake hose burst on me in another vehicle, and the only thing that saved the car from damage was the mechanical emergency brake. That's what finally forced my decision.

http://myfiero.oceanmoon.co...-fiero-brake-upgrade

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2016 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few weeks ago, I saw on a rat rod like 20's dodge,, a parking break that was so simple..
If you ever seen the go carts brakes before they started adding a disc to the rear..
It was nothing more than a flat of metal on linkage the pushed against the tire..
this had the same set up. hooked to a ratcheting parking brake handle.. to set it and hold until you let it off..
It is so, simple,, so ,K.I.S.S. There was one paddle on each side.. and the ratchet was a hand brake type not foot..
The owner said it was cheap and easy to make, holds just fine, and great for when you want to be Ken Block..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock