No paperwork Indy; is it worth it? by liv4God
Started on: 10-17-2016 10:59 PM
Replies: 15 (365 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 10-20-2016 07:03 AM
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An indy Fiero for $200, but no paperwork and condition looks bad, but complete. http://modesto.craigslist.org/pts/5796024422.html
Would it be worth the effort of restoring without the paperwork? I have restored another Fiero without paperwork and had to register it as a built car, which was a big hassle. Also had to get papers and stuff signed from the previous owner. Any other thoughts on it? I'd hate to see an Indy die.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
200bucks, heck yes!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do a search to see what states don't require a title for an 84. Georgia is one. Then determine if you have friends or relatives in one of those states. Get a bill of sale for the car, and have your friend or relative register it in their state, then re-sell it to you.

I bought an 85GT from a salvage yard in Tennessee, with only a bill of sale. I tracked it back to it's last sale when it had a title, and got that title. But, by that time, I already had it in my name, in the State of Georgia.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I texted the guy and he said the owner died a few years ago. Has a manual transmission. Besides my daily driver my other Fieros are kept at my parents place. Not sure if I can convince them to store another one for me :/ I might give it a shot though if no one else can.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4God

733 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by fierofool:

Do a search to see what states don't require a title for an 84. Georgia is one. Then determine if you have friends or relatives in one of those states. Get a bill of sale for the car, and have your friend or relative register it in their state, then re-sell it to you.

I bought an 85GT from a salvage yard in Tennessee, with only a bill of sale. I tracked it back to it's last sale when it had a title, and got that title. But, by that time, I already had it in my name, in the State of Georgia.

That's an approach I hadn't thought of before, thanks!
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is a start because "lost" title rules depend on state. You and/or seller must follow state rules or you may never be able register the car.

Owner died is another issue... Current Seller might not be able to sell w/o problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-18-2016).]

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

An indy Fiero for $200, but no paperwork and condition looks bad, but complete. http://modesto.craigslist.org/pts/5796024422.html
Would it be worth the effort of restoring without the paperwork? I have restored another Fiero without paperwork and had to register it as a built car, which was a big hassle. Also had to get papers and stuff signed from the previous owner. Any other thoughts on it? I'd hate to see an Indy die.

How can you tell the condition looks bad? The car needs a was, is missing the nose badge, has stuck headlights, and a flat tire, but thats all I can tell from that picture. IMO that car looks to have a lot of potential and the fact that the guy hasn't even bothered to wash it tells me that he's not trying to put one over on anybody. If I was close I'd look at it. If it has decent interior I'd give him $200 without even looking at the rest of the car.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:
If it has decent interior I'd give him $200 without even looking at the rest of the car.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Owner died is another issue... Current Seller might not be able to sell w/o problems.

Georgia Fieros is about to acquire a Formula that belonged to a deceased former member. His daughter, the estate executor, has the legal authority to assign the title or bill of sale. If the seller of the Indy is the executor of the estate, it would be a legal sale, probably not requiring a title, allowing the car to take on a new owner. The state should have the original title on record and could issue a duplicate under their Lost Title statutes.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Georgia Fieros is about to acquire a Formula that belonged to a deceased former member. His daughter, the estate executor, has the legal authority to assign the title or bill of sale. If the seller of the Indy is the executor of the estate, it would be a legal sale, probably not requiring a title, allowing the car to take on a new owner. The state should have the original title on record and could issue a duplicate under their Lost Title statutes.
That's If dead guy had a will and seller is the executor or someone willed to get or executor give him the car.
Many states have rules for this too.
Example: I got my G mother's car in another state and Local DMV had problems just who, was the executor, and how sign off the title. Had to sent the title back to resign and get more doc's and still had problems. And that was POS used Chrysler K car.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look online, several companies will get you a new title, it's not cheep but for $500 or so they will do as mentioned above; you provide them with Bill of sale, they "buy the car" from you, get registered in one of the no title states and sell it back to you for the $500 +/- fee. NH is another state you can do this if you have friends family there.
PFF
System Bot
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

2694 posts
Member since Feb 2009
Oh and for $200 you should have just bought it. Even if its junk, you could easily make back the 200 in parts. Now that you posted it here it won't last for very long if it's not already sold. I like this forum but posting a "is this worth it" thread anywhere online is the same as saying "look what you can buy" no offense intended, it's just how things are. I would love an Indy and for that price I would have bought it sight unseen. Good luck!
edit to add...A CA INDY!!! I just re-read the op and if it's a rust free CA car then get it!!

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 10-18-2016).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it were in Indiana it would already be sitting in my drive.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

Look online, several companies will get you a new title,..........................................

Personally, I would be very cautious of this method. An unscrupulous company, once they have a bill of sale in their name (required for them to get a title) may decide to keep the vehicle. They have proof that you sold it to them, and are you willing to travel to their domain for a court appearance and admit you were circumventing your own state laws? I'd prefer sticking with a friend or relative.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've gotten a title from an online company. No problems. Every state is different. Your mileage may vary. Unless you are willing to pay about $200 to $500 to title it, consider it a parts car.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-20-2016 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's from cali.. he most likely has a title, but they might be rmv fee's on it. and why it's not coming with it..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock