Road trip in a Fiero, What to bring? by LorenBateman
Started on: 10-16-2016 05:04 AM
Replies: 30 (766 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 10-24-2016 05:37 PM
LorenBateman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 05:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next wkend i'm taking my 88gt to Austin,TX for the F1 Race, Other than the fire extinguisher, What will the Fiero Demons throw at me. So, who has road tripped their Fiero and do you have suggestions on what to bring
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bring a chase car/support vehicle. I have a tool set with screw drivers, a battery wrench, an ICM, a tire inflator, flashlight, 1 gal coolant, 1 quart oil, etc.

San Antonio, Texas; Davenport, Iowa and back; Dells, Wisconsin and back; numerous trips to Chicago and back.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 10-23-2016).]

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A GUN
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bring a cell phone and a credit card.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Module, coil, tools to change them, wire cutters, tape & AAA card.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MacGyver.
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Alex, Tools are a givin

[This message has been edited by LorenBateman (edited 10-16-2016).]

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LorenBateman

156 posts
Member since Sep 2014

Originally posted by steve308:

MacGyver.

I said i'm taking my Fiero, not yours!

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LorenBateman:

I said i'm taking my Fiero, not yours!

OUCH!!!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2016 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A female companion.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

OUCH!!!

I can take it, I know how to pack

That said I did have a flat today --- spare / check - low rise jack / check - socket for lugs / check ---- socket wrench ------- well damn.
First person to stop had one! so all ended well.
PFF
System Bot
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also a spare W/P belt and a p/s belt (ha)
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spare fuses, good spare tire and tools to change it, spare belts, gas can, basic tool set, first Aid kit, jumper cables. These are pretty standard to have in any car on long trips. Little things like these are possible to break. I've made 8 trips from Northern California or Northern Washington to East Texas and back. I've run out of gas thrice (My own fault because I don't check my gauge lol), had a belt break once, and had a tire go bad once. These were all fixed easily with the pre mentioned goodies. Once my water pump went bad, had to take it to a shop. For things like that there's nothing you can bring to deter a freak accident like that.

Other than those standard items be sure to pack some yummy snacks, take your favorite tunes, a camera, and if possible friend. family member or girlfriend/wife. Yeah, have fun!
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you sir, Yea i always pack the tools, belt oil and water, I've traveled 48 states racing and going to races, just never in my Fiero, Wife doesn't want to go this trip, Thank you for leaving constructive suggestions

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to check the air pressure in the spare tire.
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignition module and alternator/water pump belt and the tools to change em. The car should have the required things to change a tire (air up the spare) already. The rest is just a little out there for me. You are not going to rebuild the car on the side of the road. Tire, belt (a major pain on the side of the road) and the ignition module are all things you can do on the side of the road... much else call a tow truck.

If the car is in good shape you will be fine. If you think it is not in good shape l, don't take it. Then the issue gets to be how to fit the luggage in the trunk, and the most annoying issue of where to put that big ass soda you got at the last gas stop.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recommend taking two fire extinguishers, a cooler and some drinks and emergency food. In many areas cell phone connections are poor but an AAA card will get you a tow and don't forget your pistol. You never know who you will encounter on the road or at the hotel..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

A female companion.

You've obviously never tried it in a Fiero lol.
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

andreww

240 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I recommend taking two fire extinguishers

Why? Is his car gonna catch fire twice?
Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by andreww:

That all depends on what he tries, and how many times, with a female companion
Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drewbdo

130 posts
Member since Mar 2016

You've obviously never tried it in a Fiero lol.

Could try some "Midget Wrestling".
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those little extingishers don't hold much chemical.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have driven my Fiero from Cleveland to Baltimore, Baltimore to Cleveland, Cleveland to Florida, & Baltimore to Florida stopping all along the east coast. In the front I keep jumper cables, & some standard tools, spare fuses & a spare ICM.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At times fire extinguishers can fail to operate. If you break an oil or gas line be prepared for a major fire that may take more than one extinguisher to put out the blaze. I can make an argument for carrying the three fire extinguishers that I do on overnight trips. Overkill or better safe than sorry?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2016 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just have to say, Dennis...If it wants to go up in flames that badly...well, maybe it needs "help".....

Kind of taking the topic to an extreme here, but.....I used my 85 SE V6 for camping trips from 1985 to 2000....My Father and I came up with a camping cabinet that fit over the spare tire(Take the jack that sticks out like a sore thumb and position it in front of the master cylinder)....Had a slot for the canned foods so they didn't roll around smashing everything else. I could take a GF and either my 6" telescope or my inflatable kayak....The only thing that took up room in the actual passenger area(I packed the areas behind the seats but didn't move the seats forward) was a small icebox in the passenger footwell. Once I was traveling thru Utah, hitting all the NPs & NMs and pulled into a campsite at Zion...Started unpacking and setting up the tent(3 man) and stove(2 burner real stove) and a guy in an RV next to me was watching....First, he was drinking coffee watching out his window, then he was standing at the front of his RV...Finally I walked back to the car to get a can of chili and he was looking down into the front compartment..."How did you get all of that in this little car? It looks a magic act!"....I like to say that if I forgot something, the hole that was left open was SHAPED like what I had forgotten!

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-19-2016).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Bring a cell phone and a credit card.

That works if you're driving around your neighborhood...

May not be a big help if cell phone coverage is spotty OR the garage they towed you to has to order parts.

Fuses, ICM, coil, belts (I carry a dist. cap and rotor too) and the tools to replace them as a bare minimum.
My 87 GT's ICM died in the middle of South Dakota when I was headed to the 20th Anniversary Show.

A 5-minute swap of the ICM and I was back on the road.
Not sure how long I'd have had to wait for a tow or WHERE they would have towed me to.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-20-2016).]

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
an extra Fiero for when the first one inevitably breaks down.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing you're there this weekend. How do you like the traffic, drivers, and road destruction?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bring the Fiero on the trailer if it's over 200 miles from home. I'm getting too old to be stranded on the side of the road.
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made it there and back with no problems it ran like a dream . THE TRAFFIC WAS A FREAKIN NIGHTMARE OMFG!!!!!.. Did not take the car to the track,as i wont run it 80 to 100 mph. If your on the 130 toll road you better be doing at least 85 to 90 or you'll get run over. Cars where broke down on the side of the road everywhere, cars weren't meant to run at 90-100 for hours at a time, (excluding some of the Germans)
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2016 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a trip in the Formula to Toledo and back yesterday. Ran 85-90 the entire time. 180 mile trip. Car was flawless and good mpg to boot. I did carry some tools to change out a belt if I needed to though. And also changed the oil before hand too. Car runs smooth as silk at high speeds. Love it!!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock