Ultimate tuned Fiero by 85fieroguy
Started on: 10-09-2016 11:08 AM
Replies: 6 (475 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 10-10-2016 04:28 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mind started to wander after reading Mark Donahues booK, " The Unfair Advantage". Got to thinking if you took a 85-88 Fiero to professional race car builders, what changes would they make as to the engine, suspension et al. to make the Fiero a first class fast and safe road car or racing car. You thoughts and ideas.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It depends on how far you want to go- Yes, I know you said ultimate but that means different things to different people; To stay with the original Fiero 60* V6 family, the top engine would be the 3900 w/ 240 hp/ 240 Ft/Lb....And a few lbs lighter....Or you could go with an LS/LT V8- Slightly more weight but much more power- 300(LS4) up to 505(LS7) and that is before engine mods and avoiding supercharging. Of course, then you have to get a transmission that will survive the torque of the new engine.

The chassis is rigid enough, but a little seam welding would make it even better. And the suspension needs some tuning- My personal opinion is that an early front end with an 88 rear would be best- The early front is not that bad and is more robust with easily accessible bearings and spindle. The 88 rear works properly- better ride and handling...Even if you shortened the toe link on the early suspension it doesn't have the ride and bump absorption of the 88- plus the 88 cradle is solid mounted which acts as reinforcement for both the cradle and the chassis.

We have a wide selection of brakes to chose from- I would suggest not going too big- rather keep the weight down- both unsprung and rotational. And shocks....I sure wish we could retrofit a set of those magnetorheological shocks they have on new cars.....

I have had an idea percolating in my brain for the past decade- A Fiero with the LS7- basically using as much "production" style parts, etc; You can fit C5 Vette wheels under the stock fenders, but slightly lower profile tires.....Call it either the "Group 7 Fiero" or the "Hulki GT" and then have someone who is really good drive it around a course that one of the mags test at- VIR, Laguna Seca, etc...and lay a really good time down...If the testing was publicized on Top Gear, etc or in one the magazines, it would certainly help to cut back on grief I get from almost everyone about Fieros......"They catch fire easily!" "typical GM crap!"

I almost forgot; The GTU racecars were like Nascar "Stock cars" or any other racecar chassis with body panels- Not a real Fiero...With the technology we have now, you should easily be able to build a fully streetable Fiero(With (Relatively) Stock frame/Suspension) that would out-lap the old GTU racer.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-09-2016).]

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest issue is axles breaking.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2016 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL dobey. That car looks strangely familiar!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

http://steventsnyder.com/cars/1988-pontiac-fiero/

Now that is the ultimate Fiero race car!!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock