Proud new owner by Mr.Dids
Started on: 09-20-2016 07:49 AM
Replies: 27 (639 views)
Last post by: Mr.Dids on 10-09-2016 05:14 PM
Mr.Dids

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Day one of my new project. Isn't she majestic?

My name is Dave and I'm new to this forum and Fieros as well. I'm not new to mechanics or restorations and have been a lifelong fan of the General. Just finishing up my most recent resto, 1949 Dodge pickup, when this little gem came along at the right price. All I know right now is it's an '84, 2.5, motor is locked up and so are the back wheels. Oh, there's also a dead mouse on the driver's side floor and a few shed blacksnake skins under the hood (front end). lol

It has been sitting in this spot for the past 11 years so, yay, but my last project had sat 40 plus, so upgrade. As of right now I have no clear direction for this project, so I'll probably be looking for advice as well as opinions in the coming weeks.

Now, job one.........get it home.

http://s1146.photobucket.co...psubb46enw.jpeg.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the car, it definitely looks like you have your work cut out for you! Also, welcome to the forum.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, and welcome!

You've definitely come to the right place for advice on this vehicle. There are many very knowledgeable folks here who will set you on the right track. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and utilize the search function.

Again, welcome!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Dave
You do have your work cut out for you but one thing you wont have to worry about modifying anything
Really depends on what you want to do with it but I warn you now that you have one make room for more and parts.
Great little cars, they make fun projects but they multiply like rabbits.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Looks like storage was under a pine tree in tall grass......a bad combination for rust, so get it dried out and look for damage. There are many threads on this forum explaining rust problems in Fieros.
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Dave !!
Yep, you have some work to do, but the guys here are the best there is !!!

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!

Nice looking project! ...as long as rust repair doesn't scare you. Remove the trunk carpet and the rear wheel well liners to check out the damage. Many people are scared off by the massive holes...but that depends on your skill set, tools and sanity level. Anything is repairable...but often not cost effective. We all look forward to seeing what you uncover and seeing where you go with it. Good luck!
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You definitely have some work to do!
Welcome

Just a tip, when using photobucket, on the ride hand side of the page, if you copy the bottom link, titled "IMG" you can paste that directly in your post and the picture will show up on the forum

Keep us updated!
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the jungle !
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone! It was indeed under a pine tree. So far I've only found one rust hole, in the battery area. I haven't dug too deeply yet though.

Just for laughs, I added before and after pics of my previous project. Entire parts of its anatomy were rusted away, so I'm not too worried about a little rust repair. Although, the fewer the better. lol

2.5 is locked up. I intend to learn the nature of it's, well.......stuckness, and determine if I want to rebuild or replace. My daily driver is a 2007 Grand Prix with the 3.8. I think one of those would make a fun ride out of something as light as the Fiero.

I do also have a 350 sbc which has sat around far too long......

http://s1146.photobucket.co...recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://s1146.photobucket.co....jpg.html?sort=1&o=0

Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Dids

15 posts
Member since Sep 2016
Do you know if it's the same for mobile? I couldn't find anything like that. It drove me nuts trying to figure how to add an image. I just opened the photobucket account to post that pic. lol

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

You definitely have some work to do!
Welcome

Just a tip, when using photobucket, on the ride hand side of the page, if you copy the bottom link, titled "IMG" you can paste that directly in your post and the picture will show up on the forum

Keep us updated!

PFF
System Bot
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Looks like you are off to a good start.

What part of PA are you from? I grew up outside of Reading and there are definitely a lot of great Fiero owners in PA.

~ Jen

------------------
Silver 1988 GT
Cobalt Blue 85 GT 3.4
MAFOA Newsletter Director

Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! So you've been to the pagoda then? Haha. I actually live near Bedford (SW PA) but I spent two weeks in Reading a few years ago. I have an aunt near Staunton. Used to be in Staunton, now Verona I think. Small world. lol

Originally posted by Fierochic88:

Welcome! Looks like you are off to a good start.

What part of PA are you from? I grew up outside of Reading and there are definitely a lot of great Fiero owners in PA.

~ Jen

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.Dids:

Thanks! So you've been to the pagoda then? Haha. I actually live near Bedford (SW PA) but I spent two weeks in Reading a few years ago. I have an aunt near Staunton. Used to be in Staunton, now Verona I think. Small world. lol

That is a small world ;-) I have been to the Pagoda....many a time! We used to do Fiero runs up that hill. It was always fun. My parents are still up there.

And Verona is so close. I drive through there several times a week. ;-)

You should check out MAFOA at www.mafoa.com - although some of our events would be a drive, we'd love to have you out.
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright. So a Fiero WILL fit in a 7x14 enclosed trailer if you remove the mirrors (pics to follow).

Anyway, the Reptile Retreat............Albino Black Snake??.........name tbd, is home. Initial impressions are promising. The floorboards and trunk floor are spotless. #winning. There is some rot around the upper trunk/inner quarter on the passenger side but I'll take it. The engine is well and truly locked up. The PO said he ran it hot for "a while" lol. The locked up engine is a GM replacement engine from who knows when so, I know I have a 2.5 but no idea as to what year or what internals it may have.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the project. Welcome to PFF.
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Free at last........it's free at last!!

Had some spare time yesterday afternoon, so I pulled the head. Each of the four pistons were well and truly snuggled up to their respective positions in the cylinders. I gently caressed each cylinder with a drill mounted wire brush and followed that up with a little soak, beat, and repeat to each piston (with a plastic deadblow hammer. I'm not a complete psychopath. lol). Slowly, the long dead engine began to move, until it finally became free enough that the starter spins it easily. Now as long as the rings aren't welded to the pistons, rendering compression null and void, I should be in business.

Even better news.........the pistons in the GM replacement engine are .020 over! If I'm doing the math correctly, that should give me 300hp at the wheels, right?

Hey, a boy can dream.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2016 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paint the car red then you'll get at least 400hp... I think there are a few bumper stickers out there that'll add another 25...
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2016 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Paint the car red then you'll get at least 400hp... I think there are a few bumper stickers out there that'll add another 25...

LOL!
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOVE IT!
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

I think there are a few bumper stickers out there that'll add another 25...

My daily ('13 Kia Soul) has the following decal on the rear glass:

https://www.amazon.com/Deca...erciti/dp/B008BP0G1O

Definitely works.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

PFF
System Bot
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha. That's only like $.25 per hp. What a deal!! I'm going to get like 20 of those and hold on!
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Okay, so I think I've figured this photo thing out. We'll know in a minute.

Attached is my battery tray (not available for photo) and the offending section after being removed (with a special cameo from my daily driver GP).

Feel free to laugh with me if there are no pictures to be seen.

Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Dids

15 posts
Member since Sep 2016
May we all just take a moment to celebrate my success in posting pics?? .............................................
Yay for me! Now you can each live my build in vibrant color. lol
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Dids

15 posts
Member since Sep 2016
So. I have pulled the head and convinced the old boat anchor to turn over. Replaced the head and found I had nearly no compression. Pulled the engine, disassembled and found I had rings which were very collapsed and very seized to the piston. Replaced bad rings and reassembled engine as is (wear was quite acceptable with the exception of the rings). Reinstalled engine and am now waiting to see if it will run. Waiting because I need a new battery as my old one was ancient and was sitting on the frame rail as seen in above picture. While waiting to purchase new battery (wife insists that we do crazy things like pay bills and eat), taking the time to rebuild the battery box area and trunk.

I've decided, wait for it.............., to turn this into a sort of post-apocalyptic survival machine, complete with fake machine gun (legality tbd later). No, I'm not 12 but my maturity level has been questioned.
Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mr.Dids

15 posts
Member since Sep 2016
So. I have pulled the head and convinced the old boat anchor to turn over. Replaced the head and found I had nearly no compression. Pulled the engine, disassembled and found I had rings which were very collapsed and very seized to the piston. Replaced bad rings and reassembled engine as is (wear was quite acceptable with the exception of the rings). Reinstalled engine and am now waiting to see if it will run. Waiting because I need a new battery as my old one was ancient and was sitting on the frame rail as seen in above picture. While waiting to purchase new battery (wife insists that we do crazy things like pay bills and eat), taking the time to rebuild the battery box area and trunk.

I've decided, wait for it.............., to turn this into a sort of post-apocalyptic survival machine, complete with fake machine gun (legality tbd later). No, I'm not 12 but my maturity level has been questioned.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-08-2016).]

Mr.Dids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.DidsSend a Private Message to Mr.DidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haha. Not quite but something along those lines.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock