'85 GT Indy Pace Car Widebody? by rjblaze
Started on: 09-18-2016 05:37 AM
Replies: 5 (404 views)
Last post by: rjblaze on 09-18-2016 11:24 AM
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just in Downingtown, Pa. yesterday and came across a fiero for sale. It was painted white/silver(gray) with a red rocker stripe and indy pace car emblems like a real pace car, but had a rear wide-body clip. It was definitely an '65 GT, V6, Auto, A/C, power everything, clean gray interior, and apparently only 33,000 miles on the ticker. It even has nice Centerline wheels (not like original wide-bodies, but newer) with the correct size tires. I forgot to check for emblems inside like by the door handles. So, is this thing for real? Was there a wide-body Indy Pace Car produced? This owner kept saying that "came off the factory line" this way and was not a wide-body add-on. BTW, it also had a nice "mesh" covering the front grille opening and front turn signals. I am considering a purchase, but will definitely need to get the price a lot lower than his $6500 asking price. Rear clip needs a lot of crack/damage repair, has about a "50 ft." paint job, missing the wrap-around rear spoiler, body panels need a good alignment, and the left -rear wheel/tire don't seem to line up in the wheel well opening as well as the right side does. Wadaya think? Real or not?

Thanks
Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rjblaze:

It was definitely an '65 GT...

I'll bet it wasn't.

There was never a wide body factory Fiero unless the Meras were a bit wider than the non-Meras. The Indy was an '84 only model. No model had a "wrap-around" spoiler. If it were me, I'd walk away. The owner has no idea what he's talking about (no such Fiero EVER "came off the factory line" with the Indy stuff, gray interior, Centerline wheels and wide body). Since he appears clueless, I'd doubt the 33k miles, too. The left rear tire being out of alignment would worry me, too. Could be it was in a wreck which would explain why the AFTERMARKET wide body has cracks/damage and why it's missing a spoiler.

Bottom line, it's not factory. If it ran perfectly and everything was in mint condition (other than the rear tire and wide body), I'd offer a grand, maybe $1500. If the seller really thinks it's worth $6500, tell him/her to find some better drugs.

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 09-18-2016).]

edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the car for sale online anywhere like Craigslist where we can see some pictures?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can safely say this car is not a factory line produced car. This is likely a case of a owner that was told a false story and repeating it.

Check the Vin and odds are it was a 85 GT or 2M6SE and that the body is a DGP conversion.

To be fair the story may have just gotten mixed up over the years and the fact that the GTU body panels were used for the factory race team may have morphed into a deal where the present owner now explains it as a factory built car to this point.

Over the years I have heard some whopper stories from Fiero owners. One guy a few years back had some Fiero with odd pipes sticking out of the deck lid bolted to it not the engine, a big nose wing and a roll bar with a lot of numbers and stickers on it. He proceeded to tell me it was a race car. It had a stock engine and cheap cast wheels with even cheaper street tires on it. I asked him where he raced it and he could not be specific. I also asked what he used for tires as the ones he had would not even be good for track time and he said those tires. At that point said OK and I just walked away as I could tell he was a Walter Mitty living a dream and only a dream. Nice car a bit over dressed but why fabricate?

It is not just the Fiero but all models have their dreamers or people who just do not know any better even though they own the car. I have had to break the news to a few people that their claims they were making were not right and that they in esseance got ripped off paying to much for a car that is not legit.

Keep in mind Indy emblems are easy to buy and also there are a hand full of modified pace cars even Frans with a Turbo V6 around so anything can be made.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003
As for this car I would really check the condition. Crunch the VIN and RPO numbers to know what it realy is and make your own judgment on condition and what it worth to you. Discard his story and make this a case about pure condition only. His story is a non factor.

If he wants to make the story a factory make him have documentation to back it up. No documents no value. Any real value car with a history has to be documented if not you have no value no matter the make or model.
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just as I suspected. Wrong year, no wide-body, couldn't be an Indy. Nice looking car tho' in those colors. He just bought a new car so he is trying to re-coup the costs by pricing this pretty high, I'm going to keep working him to lower the price. We'll see if he bites. Not on Craigs list that I know of......didn't ask. I'll see if I cam post some from my iPhone.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock