paint in cans by yellow peril
Started on: 09-13-2016 02:33 PM
Replies: 10 (378 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 09-19-2016 06:01 PM
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did I read in here once that someone made paint in the factory code in a spray can? I could have sworn I read that but have been unable to get it in the search function.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't ever paint in cans, I don't think I'd fit.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Body shop supply stores can put any paint in a spray can. It's not cheap, and it's difficult to get good results.
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks, thats what I was looking for. I just have a small patch I want to fill and paint. don't need a big tadoo. I just hope I can fit in the can
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may as well go see a color paint mixer yourself as your car is sun faded you just don't know it yet.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 09-15-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duplicolor makes $7 spray cans in OEM colors. If you cant find it locally, look online at their website. Some auto paint stores will make them but their going to be $20-30 each. You can also just get a pint of OEM paint from the paint store and buy a couple of Prevail sprayers to spray it for $5

http://www.homedepot.com/p/...ay-Gun-267/202533738
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Duplicolor makes $7 spray cans in OEM colors. If you cant find it locally, look online at their website. Some auto paint stores will make them but their going to be $20-30 each. You can also just get a pint of OEM paint from the paint store and buy a couple of Prevail sprayers to spray it for $5

http://www.homedepot.com/p/...ay-Gun-267/202533738

Using OEM paint and the prevail sprayers will this give a finish noticeably better than a regular spray can? Not looking for a show car finish or even MAACO, but something better than a completely ruined finish.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theyre comparable to spray cans. The plus is that you use your own paint and can thin or tint it to your liking. They may have improved the tip so it sprays a wider pattern than a can...i havent used one for a number of years. You can get a little more pressure by soaking the propellant can in a sink of hot water. Tap hot water, not boiling...too hot can rupture can.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-16-2016).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Theyre comparable to spray cans. The plus is that you use your own paint and can thin or tint it to your liking. They may have improved the tip so it sprays a wider pattern than a can...i havent used one for a number of years. You can get a little more pressure by soaking the propellant can in a sink of hot water. Tap hot water, not boiling...too hot can rupture can.

I guess if you can get real paint by the pint or quart it might be more cost effective than a bunch of spray cans. But not really considering how much a pint of paint costs compared to a bunch of spray cans. The reviews on Home Depot were mixed. Some people couldn't get a single drop out of those prevail sprayers even after thinning the paint. Maybe there is a trick to it.

I've been through this debate in my head a thousand times. Painting a Fiero is ridiculously expensive compared to the value of the car. There needs to be a better way to take what is essentially a $1,000 car and put a semi-decent looking paint job without spending thousands of dollars. Otherwise I just have to drive a car with horrible looking paint, because spray can paint won't last a year down here in the Texas sun and it would need to be sanded off and start over.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The trouble with do it yourself people who dont know how to spray, think they can just pour in the paint and spray. It needs to be very thin...like 1 part paint to 3 parts thinner. You cant even get unthinned paint to come out of a paintgun. Modelers use Prevail or airbrushes all the time. Spray any spraycan paint onto something heavy and watch how easy it runs because its so thin.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-19-2016).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock