GT Tail Light restoration by Samuraijack
Started on: 09-12-2016 09:25 PM
Replies: 24 (1570 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 09-30-2016 09:52 PM
Samuraijack

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my car out of storage after 4 years to find the left tail light which was from a wrecker to have bad delamination.

Seeing the members here having great success restoring the delamination I contacted a friend who owns a body shop. They prepped, painted, clear coated and polished to a mirror piano black finish. I want to point out this included them polishing the inside of the lens so there is a crystal clear lens . To save money I brought home the interior parts and cleaned, polished them myself, then brought them back to the shop to have them re assembled.

Thank you PFF! I would never have thought to do this otherwise.

cost me $150.00

https://goo.gl/photos/FBWtFeqc4PGDcKwF8

[This message has been edited by Samuraijack (edited 08-04-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. But no PONTIAC??? Did you ask them to cover it too?
Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we tested out the lighting. The Pontiac is only visible now with the lights on. Very stealthy and I love it. Simular effect as Tinting the entire lens with Night shades etc.

All the pictures I have seen, and after discussion with the painter it was agreed that masking the pontiac would be a compromise due to the depth difference of the paint and the original backing.

I plan to install the lights this weekend.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely. Gorgeous!

That is EXACTLY what I want to do with mine!!!! (I know I might get hate mail, but I never liked the "PONTIAC" lettering)

Please post some pics with them installed. I REALLY want to see how it looks on the car. I've been tempted to do this for so long, and yours look so good I might have to just try it myself.

------------------
Tim
Bay City, MI

'87 GT original 2.8
All Poly suspension w/Eibach springs
Aussie Stage 2 side scoops
Deck scoop, Fiero Warehouse lip spoiler

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's amazing how nice these come back with a good paint and clear job.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Samuraijack:

......after discussion with the painter it was agreed that masking the pontiac would be a compromise due to the depth difference of the paint and the original backing.

The translation of that is "that's a hell of a lot of work to do properly and will add significant cost to the project". When I used to restore the lenses for people, I used backlighting and masked just inside the original black laminate to ensure that all of the original black would not be seen from any angle. We're talking fractions of millimeters within the original lines so without a measuring tool, you could never tell the letters were a hair smaller. It took a hell of a long time to hand cut all of the angles properly. In the end, you couldn't tell they were even painted. Now that Napoleon_Tanerite is offering this as a service, he can chime in on how labor intensive the masking process is.

However, I like the idea of what you have done. The lenses look great.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The translation of that is "that's a hell of a lot of work to do properly and will add significant cost to the project". When I used to restore the lenses for people, I used backlighting and masked just inside the original black laminate to ensure that all of the original black would not be seen from any angle. We're talking fractions of millimeters within the original lines so without a measuring tool, you could never tell the letters were a hair smaller. It took a hell of a long time to hand cut all of the angles properly. In the end, you couldn't tell they were even painted. Now that Napoleon_Tanerite is offering this as a service, he can chime in on how labor intensive the masking process is.

Yup. Masking the lettering is tedious, time consuming, and aggravating. Polishing them takes longer though. I take it really slow and look at it from lots of angles.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it prob would not take much effort to create a vinyl stencil that can be put on the lens before painting. I've seen stencils for painting Pontiac Rally II rims and others. It would not have to be high quality or cost much, because its going to be peeled off. Diff part would be getting it right (size, shape).
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrong thread

[This message has been edited by ltlgt88 (edited 09-15-2016).]

Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It cost me $125 for 75 Pontiac vinyl "stencils" when I was doing lenses.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you installed these on your GT yet? I'm eager to see how they look on the car.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

It cost me $125 for 75 Pontiac vinyl "stencils" when I was doing lenses.

It would be nice to have that file for a plotter. I spent many hours editing the font thickness, height, and length just to get something close to the factory lettering.....and I still have to do it by hand.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure what I did with the file but I know the printer still has a copy. I'll hunt around or ask them and post it.

for now maybe you could vectorize this scan

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 09-16-2016).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosails sells these for $10/set

http://fierosails.com/decal.html

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page and they're there. The problem is you're going to have a helluva time getting them PERFECTLY aligned with the OE lettering, and if you screw it up, good luck peeling them up to move them without stretching them. There are a few tricks out there to help, but as easy as masking decals seem, they do bring their own set of challenges.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

Fierosails sells these for $10/set

http://fierosails.com/decal.html

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page and they're there. The problem is you're going to have a helluva time getting them PERFECTLY aligned with the OE lettering, and if you screw it up, good luck peeling them up to move them without stretching them. There are a few tricks out there to help, but as easy as masking decals seem, they do bring their own set of challenges.

The only way to really apply those accurately is to use water to transfer them on and a squeegee. Then you will have an accurate mask once you can slide them around and align them correctly. I'm glad he offers those for those people who want to try this on their own.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2016 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMSA GT

10268 posts
Member since Aug 2007
And just so I don't hijack this thread..........Samuraijack, they look great. I'm curious how they look in the dark with the light shining through the Pontiac. Post a pic when you have a chance.

Slammed, I should have been more clear....I would have loved to have that file WHEN I did these for people. I no longer do these and Napolean is doing a great job with his restore business, but I appreciate the offer. Thank you.
Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put red led bulb replacements from GTR Lighting. Makes them easier to see during the day but still stealthy. No bulbs on the left

So with replacing all 4 bulbs brings the total Cost to $200.00 CAD Tax in.

https://goo.gl/photos/7jLTQXacFho3EH9J7

I'll snap another shot tonight for you.

Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Samuraijack

47 posts
Member since Nov 2010
Or as I tell people it is a bunch of work that isn't even needed well unless you want to read the pontiac with the car in the off position...

Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Samuraijack

47 posts
Member since Nov 2010
OEM bulbs on the left and the Red LED bulbs on the right. This is while it is still raining!

https://goo.gl/photos/CWVeGn4boaAGTvmh6

and the GTR lighting LED reverse lights are AMAZING!

https://goo.gl/photos/gE63eUWQfkCxX6WXA

headlight upgrade this morning.

https://goo.gl/photos/8vfse7jESWVoMawe7

trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2016 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY nice!!!!

You've convinced me this is exactly how I'm going to do mine
Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2016 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

VERY nice!!!!

You've convinced me this is exactly how I'm going to do mine

The nice thing for your preference of not wanting the PONTIAC you just remove those bulbs.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2016 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know how they sprayed them? I assume they masked the clear portion, masked just over the Pontiac with straight tape without actually masking each letter individually, sprayed solid black around the edges to cover the delamination, unmasked the lettering then sprayed a dark candy color such as House Of Kolor Pagan Gold over everything?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-25-2016).]

Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2016 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you know how they sprayed them? I assume they masked the clear portion, masked just over the Pontiac with straight tape without actually masking each letter individually, sprayed solid black around the edges to cover the delamination, unmasked the lettering then sprayed a dark candy color such as House Of Kolor Pagan Gold over everything?

He prepped the exterior, masked just the left and right clear section, painted, clear coated, then polished the inside and the clear coat to a excellent mirror finish. It was done in the paint booth, he just painted over the entire lens not sure what paint he used but he said the paint "should" allow the pontiac to be seen. I Didn't care if the pontiac showed or not it was just a suprise bonus that it did. I decided to go with it and put in the red LEDs. I was originally thinking of removing the bulbs and could care less if the pontiac showed.

[This message has been edited by Samuraijack (edited 09-25-2016).]

Samuraijack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamuraijackSend a Private Message to SamuraijackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
final LED goodness.

https://goo.gl/photos/BnQVKZa4h2ybQS389

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the stealth look, please ask what paint he used, thank you

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock