New member saying hi, Interested in this 88 GT by samxerxesn
Started on: 07-26-2016 03:16 PM
Replies: 9 (371 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 08-13-2016 12:36 AM
samxerxesn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samxerxesnSend a Private Message to samxerxesnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy everyone!
I'm new to the Fiero Forum and Just wanted to ask an opinion on this 88 GT that I've been obsessing over for the past couple months. It's a beautifully kept black car with a rear spoiler. It has 138K on the odometer but seems to be working fine. All hoses felt strong and didn't seem brittle. It sounded great. The lights worked perfectly. My only gripes are that the throttle could use some adjustment, the brakes seem a bit hard, and the center console has some minor glue melting issues, and the rear lid spring can't hold up the combined weight of the lid and spoiler. I took it for a test drive on Sunday and it felt incredibly smooth. Not as fast as my 01 MR2, but definitely just as fun to drive. Right now my mechanic, Who used to own a Fiero, is taking a look at it. He's asking 4.2K for it, but I hope to get him down to at least $3900 if nothing serious is wrong. I just wanted to know everyone elses opinions and if the 88 GT needed the aftermarket heat shielding. Thank You!
Pictures of Fiero

[This message has been edited by samxerxesn (edited 07-26-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! Hope you buy it and enjoy it for a long time to come! They are addictive, start looking for your second one now so you get a head start on what usually happens to a Fiero owner!

Looks like a California car from the plates, but I would still check the trunk corners for rust. Big tale tell sign of cancer under the plastic body panels if there is any rust hidden under that carpet. If there is anything there, stay away! Other than that, if it drives nice, and seems to be in good condition, yeah! If it's an 88 GT 5 speed, looks clean too! 138K miles and $3900 sounds like a good price as long as it's in great running condition... I paid 2600 for mine and it was road worthy at the time. I'd start at $3500 and work up from there, it's definitely a buyers market when it comes to Fieros.

Not sure what heat shielding you're talking about...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome!

The decklid spring not holding up the weight of the spoiler is an issue with mine as well. I haven't done it myself, but from what I understand the spring tension can be adjusted. Peeling interior bits are also common. There are threads showing what people have done with removing bits of foam and re-gluing edges down that look pretty good.

I say go for it if your mechanic gives it a clean bill of health.
samxerxesn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samxerxesnSend a Private Message to samxerxesnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turns out that it was just a pretty face. the rear tires needed replacing soon, so did all of the brakes, rotors resurfaced, temp gauge wasn't responding, idle was bouncing when warm, exhaust leak, and the worst of it all was the valve cover gasket and oil pan are leaking. there were other small things like dirty air filter and such, but the car just needed too much work and as a college student I couldn't afford it. If it was a rolling shell that I could LS swap, it would be a different story. All of this being said, I still want a Fiero, and my mechanic defended the car as being in pretty good condition for a Fiero of its age haha. I think I'll stick to my MR2 for now, and keep an eye out for a Fiero GT that I can afford. I think my MR2 got me addicted to mid engine cars

At least for now, I'll be spending most of my time on spyderchat.com . I hope I can talk to you all about another Fiero soon!

[This message has been edited by samxerxesn (edited 07-26-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still sounds like a decent platform to build upon. Nothing that can't be fixed.
With that said, he ought to offer a nice price cut for all the stuff you found that needs doing.

But yeah... if you're going to school and reliable transportation is your top priority, then keep looking. Good luck finding an affordable Fiero - especially an 88 GT - that doesn't need work. That was not meant to be sarcastic. Just the reality of the situation.
samxerxesn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for samxerxesnSend a Private Message to samxerxesnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Still sounds like a decent platform to build upon. Nothing that can't be fixed.
With that said, he ought to offer a nice price cut for all the stuff you found that needs doing.

But yeah... if you're going to school and reliable transportation is your top priority, then keep looking. Good luck finding an affordable Fiero - especially an 88 GT - that doesn't need work. That was not meant to be sarcastic. Just the reality of the situation.

I understand that all fieros always need work, but This one had problems that were indicative of chronic issues. The gasket leaks lead me to believe that the head bolts were over torqued at some point, and that the valve cover could be warped because of this. Same with the oil pan and exhaust. I would have been cool with fixing it all had he been willing to lower his price by about half, but he wasn't. So I had to pass it up. 4K was just too much for a Fiero with that many problems and he wasn't willing to admit it. Oh well. I think he sold it to some idiot because later I saw a black 88 covered in spray paint.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by samxerxesn:

I understand that all fieros always need work, but This one had problems that were indicative of chronic issues. The gasket leaks lead me to believe that the head bolts were over torqued at some point, and that the valve cover could be warped because of this. Same with the oil pan and exhaust. I would have been cool with fixing it all had he been willing to lower his price by about half, but he wasn't. So I had to pass it up. 4K was just too much for a Fiero with that many problems and he wasn't willing to admit it. Oh well. I think he sold it to some idiot because later I saw a black 88 covered in spray paint.

Headbolts over torqued? Doubt it. gasket and exhaust leaks are common enough, on a Fiero. A rust free 88GT would sell in a heart beat here in the midwest

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by samxerxesn:

I understand that all fieros always need work...

Ummm... is there a vehicle (being regularly driven) of any vintage that doesn't require maintenance? If so, we'd all love to hear about it!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A buddy of mine had a 2nd gen MR2 with alot of work done with the turbo control system.
Suffice to say it was stupid fast.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree the price is a little high. Your assessment on its condition is a little stern though.
It's condition is typical of most aftermarket Fiero's. I have seen many used Fiero's and this one is not all that abused as far as Fiero's are concerned. These cars tend to be abused animals. Kind of like the old VW bugs that got no love.
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock