Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Why are Fieros worth so little? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why are Fieros worth so little? by RotrexFiero
Started on: 07-22-2016 08:17 AM
Replies: 51 (1626 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 07-27-2016 09:36 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just seems like after a good 25 years out of production and never again seeing them on the road they would be worth more money. Yet, they still go pretty cheap. Maybe there are many out there, but that, I would think, would be offset by the unique characteristics of the car. I mean mid-engine, two seats, and it lends itself to so many different uses. Easily modified, its a cool race car, or nice weekend cruiser.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't seem fair, does it?.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Just seems like after a good 25 years out of production and never again seeing them on the road they would be worth more money. Yet, they still go pretty cheap. Maybe there are many out there, but that, I would think, would be offset by the unique characteristics of the car. I mean mid-engine, two seats, and it lends itself to so many different uses. Easily modified, its a cool race car, or nice weekend cruiser.

Overall, there's not a huge number of Fieros remaining, but the supply is more than adequate. It is, after all, a niche market. It seems there is no shortage of beater Fieros available for sale and some people want to believe even the nice ones should be priced like the beaters.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They aren't particularly collectible or desirable cars.
Corvairs never really appreciated that much either. With some rare exceptions, you can still find top quality cars under $10k.
http://carsonline-ads.com/c...ting&postingID=78600
http://carsonline-ads.com/c...ting&postingID=85421

This is close to the high water mark for Corvairs, unless you get something like a real Yenko Stinger, and it's still under $20k.
http://carsonline-ads.com/c...ting&postingID=68211

Fieros are in that same arena.
http://carsonline-ads.com/c...ting&postingID=81188

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many people just drone back and forth to work and that's all they do with cars. They know name plates that are over advertised, or have been remarketed..Mustang, Corvette, Charger, Camaro. They don't know Fiero, it doesn't double as a status symbol. If they've heard of it its because of bad media about the 84s.
They are still somewhat too new for colloctor car folks to really get going on them.
Many kids want foreign cars.
Also many collectors don't collect them because they aren't worth a lot, and because they aren't collected much ..they aren't worth a lot. Its a circular market.
Besides that you've got modded cars and stock cars confusing the new enthusiasts.
Mechanics afraid of them.
Anyway, just an overview but I tried to hit a few of what I thought.

For know think of it as a good thing, we can buy them affordably.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-22-2016).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only time there is a desired marked is when someone is selling the car. Part of the reason why I got into Fiero's is because they are inexpensive, & relatively cheap to maintain. As a comparison, how much are 80's/90's Vettes worth? I don't think they are desirable, or have a market. Years ago I had a '77 Corvette & it was worth more to appraise it as a "street rod" than it was a Corvette.

& just to add a little side note, I don't care what they are worth (& actually don't understand the desire for value). There isn't' a dollar amount that I can place on my experience with the car. So for it to hold value doesn't mean anything, as I don't have an intention to sell it. The entire journey has never been an investment for me. Of course, I can only speak for myself.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 07-22-2016).]

MadProfessor8138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadProfessor8138Send a Private Message to MadProfessor8138Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We should consider ourselves lucky in my opinion.
Owning and maintaining a Fiero is relatively cheap compared to most vehicles now days.
Just be glad they haven't become a "collectors" item because the price for cars,parts and insurance would skyrocket.
So,just enjoy living with your Fiero and know that you have a secret the rest of the world doesn't know about...lol

Here's an example of why I love Fiero's compared to my other vehicles when it comes to maintenance costs...
1. Motorcycle.......$ LOL
2. Boat......$ OMG
3. Plane.......$ WTF !!!!!
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because when some one lists a really nice Fiero on here, a few morons reply that the car is a thousand or five hundred dollar car no matter how nice the offered car is. Then people looking for a Fiero look in here to research prices and see the low ball price some crackhead that never saw the car said was only worth $500 and don't want to pay a fair price for any Fiero. When some one offers a car or parts for sale here and you think the asking price is too high keep your stupid opinion to yourself. Almost any Fiero owner knows they will never get rich off a Fiero already.

This opinion may be harsh, but if your not interested in buying the car that you feel is overpriced you have no say at all in the price.

I feel much better now!
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, intelligent posts. I've had 4 Fiero's..learned a lot along the way. Yeah, not expensive to maintain and fun to drive around. Unfortunately, living in a congested big city I should have NEVER sold my perfect 84 T-Top, 4 banger with air and body mods for my current 85GT 4 speed with body mods. The V-6 is a different animal and the constant city shifting is a problem. Oh well, but love Fieros
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally think they are just too forgotten. Which is why we turn so many heads when we drive them. A great example of a car that suffered the same fate is the Oldsmobile Toronado. I would LOVE a '66, 67, or '68. A gentleman's muscle car. People just seem to have forgotten they even existed. And they made them up til what, '92? The few I've seen for sale of the year Range I like have been cheap. Under $2,000. Lastly, those of us that drive fiero's and hoard them, truly appreciate the street legal go-kart they feel like.

Edit for spelling.

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 07-22-2016).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too am glad that it never went up in value because I would never own one. 6,500 is better than 16,500. I did buy a new 1987 gt and the price was affordable back then. I made more money then than now.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnt671:

Because when some one lists a really nice Fiero on here, a few morons reply that the car is a thousand or five hundred dollar car no matter how nice the offered car is. Then people looking for a Fiero look in here to research prices and see the low ball price some crackhead that never saw the car said was only worth $500 and don't want to pay a fair price for any Fiero. When some one offers a car or parts for sale here and you think the asking price is too high keep your stupid opinion to yourself. Almost any Fiero owner knows they will never get rich off a Fiero already.

This opinion may be harsh, but if your not interested in buying the car that you feel is overpriced you have no say at all in the price.

I feel much better now!

True. Also value varies based on location, and all the conditions of some things you can't see in pics too.
Some people even search them out on other places for sale and post here just to deride them.
I don't recommend posting a thread here asking what a car is worth, or how much you should sell it for. If you really don't know, it is probably better to search out others for sale and price similarly.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Something that may begin to change interest, and eventually the values is publicity and notice by the car enthusiast community at events like this:

https://www.facebook.com/BackToThe80sMN/

http://backtothe80smn.com/

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-22-2016).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find it funny that many are happy that our cars are cheap when we are looking to buy one, but complain about how little they are worth when it's time to sell.

Personally, I don't care what they are worth, since I don't plan on selling mine. If they were expensive, I wouldn't have one.

I didn't buy my GT because it was cheap, I bought it because I always wanted one, and luckily, I was able to pick one up for a great price.

I think the issue is while they can be BOUGHT very reasonably, after all the time and money that is put into them is never able to be recovered. Just look at any V8 or SC 3800 conversion car that's for sale - you can buy the completed car MUCH cheaper than you could do the conversion yourself (for most of us anyways).

I know I would certainly never recover what I've spent on my GT (if my wife is reading this - I'm only joking Honey all those UPS deliveries I get are for WORK, really )

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you read the reviews back when the Fiero was new, you would see that most "Enthusiasts" will naturally believe that the car is kind of like a three-legged dog with mange...Car & Drivel was especially hard on the car- First year 4-cyl was one of their ten best, but then each year, with each improvement, they would talk like the car was something made in Russia: "though much improved, we can't believe that GM thinks they can sell this thing!"

One of the few reviews that was good was Peter Egan's review in the R&T Sports and GT special in 1987- Tested a GT and called it a great little car- The next year tho, R&T compared an 88 Formula to the SC MR2- Raved about how perfect the MR2 was, while saying (Approx') "The Fiero is hugely improved- But is a piece of crap!"

After they convinced GM to kill the Fiero, they all suddenly started complaining about the "Perfect" MR2 having to much DTO.....

And then there is the whole fire myth; 260 Fieros caught fire- all first year 4 cylinders...and the final record of the Fiero makes it just as "Un-Safe" as a Pinto......Both cars have a BETTER record than the average for all cars!

If you get around Honda or Miata guys tho, they think the car is a big old pile of smoking, stinky crap...Unless you get on a course and spank them(They expect maybe straight-line, but if you toast them around a road course they tend to freak out).
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off the Fiero in good condition is worth much more than most cars of the same era. Ever price a Cavalier in the same condition?

The Value all comes down to supply and demand mixed with condition. Even a trashed Ferrari is not worth a ton.

Too many have seen the muscle car prices and have mistakenly though the same would apply here. Well they have more demand and plus many of them were worth nothing till demand took off once they hit 30 years old. The Fiero is still pretty young.

Many 4 and 6 cylinder sports cars are not really expensive. They have a limited market as 2 seats attract people as much as repel some people.

What you also will find is not all muscle cars are worth a ton either. Special options and special models demand more value. To be honest the Fiero really has no really rare options as even ones like the T top and some others really have little effect on value since rare is usually 600 or less. The Fieros in most versions were built in much more greater numbers than that.

Special GM build show cars will hold more interest and the Indy may continue to grow. If it has a special engine it really would have taken off but the 4 has hurt it some.

I really don't know what some people expect. Even the TA from the same era really has shown little growth.

If you look at some of the most valuable models today many were 600 or less built like a 69 TA or some Judge Convertibles etc. They also were cars people hated back in the day. The Superbird sold horribly and the Cobra was passed over by many as it was considered rude and crude in the day. Often the oddities are the ones that sold bad then but have become valuable with high demands today.

If you want a collector car from Pontiac that may see much higher values. Buy a Turbo TA Pace car from 1989 low numbers and the best car the Buick Turbo was ever in. Also it is a pace car. Even a 2+2 Pontiac may see some value due to the lower numbers and the fact there is less than 1,000 left today. The lack of a real performance engine has hurt it but that may be over looked for the oddity value today.

As for the Fiero any V6. T top car that is clean will always old a little more demand. To be honest some of the cars with rare aftermarket items today can call for higher prices as well prototype Pontiac parts like Power Steering.

The truth is there are still a ton of Fiero's out there. Just because you may not see one where you live does not make them rare. In my area it was one of the best selling areas and I can still see them weekly on the road summer and winter. Also many of the best cars only come out on weekends anymore too. They are 3rd cars and are limited use.

So the high numbers of cars left and the limited demand along with the fact that 30 years old is not really that old for a car. I sold a Chevelle that was almost 30 years old for $5K before the demand took off and today it is worth $30K. I missed out on added profits but still doubled my money as they were dirt cheap in the 80's.

You have to really have to look at the big picture on this and take in all that matters to collectors. Once in a while there is a wild card that pops up but too many of us read the magazines and watch the auctions that over price the cars in the real world.

Barrett Jackson too often over sells the price of a car and creates the illusion that they are worth that much. Too many times some rich drunk guy bids up a car to impress his buddies. Then he sells it a couple years later for much less than he paid. I recall a Chevelle drag car that went over a Million and later it sold for less than half of that. It was a nice LS6 but not worth that much.

Also look around the Miata, RX7, 300Zx and MR2 are really not worth a ton either.

Every car is not going to be a Shelby and the Fiero is special but not that special when all the factors are considered. It is a neat car but not ever neat car is worth much.

Price a 84 Vette and see how even it is not all that special either.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 07-22-2016).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Many people just drone back and forth to work and that's all they do with cars. They know name plates that are over advertised, or have been remarketed..Mustang, Corvette, Charger, Camaro. They don't know Fiero, it doesn't double as a status symbol. If they've heard of it its because of bad media about the 84s.
They are still somewhat too new for colloctor car folks to really get going on them.
Many kids want foreign cars.
Also many collectors don't collect them because they aren't worth a lot, and because they aren't collected much ..they aren't worth a lot. Its a circular market.
Besides that you've got modded cars and stock cars confusing the new enthusiasts.
Mechanics afraid of them.
Anyway, just an overview but I tried to hit a few of what I thought.

THIS.

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion:

1. Because 330,000 were made in 4.5 years.
2. Because so many of them, at least until recently, were not well kept. Can't tell you how many times I've heard "That's the nicest Fiero I've seen in a long time" in the last year, and my car is far from pristine.
3. Because they have a poor reputation.
4. Because every time someone lists a nice one for sale for anything over $10k at least one dumbass carps about how it's not worth nearly that much.

But I'll also say that interest in them around Seattle seems to be growing, and nice Fieros are commanding higher prices. Good. Higher prices means more interest, which means better or at least sustained parts availability. These cars are entering a critical juncture- on 10-15% are left, more parts are getting hard to find. They will either go the way of the GTO, with ample after-market OEM-style parts, or the Porsche 928, which is cheap to buy because some critical parts are unobtanium.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never expect to get out of it what I put in it, but after twenty years with the same car I would hope to get something!!!

87 GT with 3800SC is about what 5k?

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of valid reasons already listed here. I'd like to add that by the time the 80's arrived, the car market had already determined that the cars to have were anything 1970 or older. The only car from the 80's that has had any real success in the collector market is the Grand National/GNX. The Fiero is destined to be the low cost and fun little car that can be modified into anything you can imagine. Much like old beetles,which also aren't worth very much.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I never expect to get out of it what I put in it, but after twenty years with the same car I would hope to get something!!!

87 GT with 3800SC is about what 5k?

I think you're a bit low, depending on condition. Rough paint and interior, $5k, but nice paint and interior it's 8-10k.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

A lot of valid reasons already listed here. I'd like to add that by the time the 80's arrived, the car market had already determined that the cars to have were anything 1970 or older. The only car from the 80's that has had any real success in the collector market is the Grand National/GNX. The Fiero is destined to be the low cost and fun little car that can be modified into anything you can imagine. Much like old beetles,which also aren't worth very much.

Well I lived throught the 80's and nothing was decided yet. At that time I owned a pristine 1968 Chevelle SS, 72 GMC Sprint SP [El Comino SS one of 600 made} and a 1970 Monte Carlo. All were show quality and cheaper than hell. I bought all for around $2500 at the time and more than doubled my money with each but at the time they were only going for around $5K.

It was the 90's some cars showed movment but even then they were still pretty cheap. All of these cars had to get over 30-35 years old before prices moved in the 90's and even then they were cheap compared to today.

We used to buy 64-65 GTO's numbers matching for $2300 from down south. TRi Power and 4 speed included. My buddy still has one today he got in 1982 for that price and still no rust what so every.

Nothing much from the 80's as moved much. The Turbo TA pace car and the GN have moved some but most F bodies, The Monte SS and Mustangs are all pretty cheap right now. Most C4 Vettes even clean ones are $12-14k or less.

Even in the 60's there are still some cheap cars out there for the market.

Right now a good clean low mile 88 GT can go $12-15k as I have seen it happen more than once. That is good for any car of the era.

One reason so many Fiero's are now worth much is they have too many miles as lower mile cars are out there and if you add up the cost of fixing one up and paint the low mile car is often cheaper and a better value being all original. Many cars may be someone's baby but the quality of the restore is often sub par and often the car is low quality too.

Not trying to offend here but some cars are restored right and many really are just patched up. They may look good but they have a lot of make up on and you wash it off and it will scare you. I have told many to walk away from cars that were patched up for sale and were sub par.

The fact is most cars that are gaining value now are from the 70's like the 10th anniversary TA and other rare TA models. A few others are appreciating today too. The collector market as a whole really has not invaded the 80's much outside the GN and some odd cars here and there. It will be about another ten years before the 80's will see much moment. Even then few will make you rich as there are very few cars of that era that were not produced in great numbers.

Also the era of the rare one of 6 COPO built cars just was not really done much in that era.

There are few cars of this era that will carry the rarity that has carried some big dollar cars. In the next ten years the public will take notice of some of these cars and some you may expect will show up in the collector markets and some you never considered will take of in the collector markets due to what interest the pubic in that era.

It could be the odd ball 2+2 Pontiac no one loved could spark the interest of the collectors since do few were build and remain it could drive prices to where no one saw it coming. Remember it took Chrysler 3 years to sell all the winged cars as no one loved them for nearly 3 decades before prices spiked.

Hell Nick Mason of Pink Floyd I think paid $7,000 or about for his GTO Ferrari. He loved the car but most people saw it as a used up race car that was even more expensive to repair and hard to tune. Today it is reported one may have traded privately for nearly $50 Million Dollars today.

You can not pick a rare car often cheap. These cars are made due to market demands and supply on their own.

You want to make money invest in Gold or a good money market. You want a fun car to play with then buy a collector car. But only buy what you like as if it turns out to be a dud at least you own a car you like.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

I think you're a bit low, depending on condition. Rough paint and interior, $5k, but nice paint and interior it's 8-10k.

The price of a car with an engine swap mostly amounts to the quality of the car and the quality of the swap.

They are like street rods where if it is done poorly you can get a average price. If the quality of the work is great and documented you can get top dollar. The key is documentation. Receipts, photo's and documents of what was done and how all add to the value of a car. This is why some prostreet cars sell for $15K. No documentation and low quality work can hurt the value. Same on street rods. A well documented car can add much to the value.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well they are a bucket of crap until you chop and change every part then you can have a great car. All the labour involved in making them great makes them expensive once you have things like slalom steering, coil overs aframe's, motor swap, drop spindles, machined hubs , new brakes. Then you can make it look good wheels pain panels. The fieros you see for 10k for sale the owners have spent $20k.
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Well I lived throught the 80's and nothing was decided yet. At that time I owned a pristine 1968 Chevelle SS, 72 GMC Sprint SP [El Comino SS one of 600 made} and a 1970 Monte Carlo. All were show quality and cheaper than hell. I bought all for around $2500 at the time and more than doubled my money with each but at the time they were only going for around $5K.

It was the 90's some cars showed movment but even then they were still pretty cheap. All of these cars had to get over 30-35 years old before prices moved in the 90's and even then they were cheap compared to today.

We used to buy 64-65 GTO's numbers matching for $2300 from down south. TRi Power and 4 speed included. My buddy still has one today he got in 1982 for that price and still no rust what so every.

Nothing much from the 80's as moved much. The Turbo TA pace car and the GN have moved some but most F bodies, The Monte SS and Mustangs are all pretty cheap right now. Most C4 Vettes even clean ones are $12-14k or less.

Even in the 60's there are still some cheap cars out there for the market.

Right now a good clean low mile 88 GT can go $12-15k as I have seen it happen more than once. That is good for any car of the era.

One reason so many Fiero's are now worth much is they have too many miles as lower mile cars are out there and if you add up the cost of fixing one up and paint the low mile car is often cheaper and a better value being all original. Many cars may be someone's baby but the quality of the restore is often sub par and often the car is low quality too.

Not trying to offend here but some cars are restored right and many really are just patched up. They may look good but they have a lot of make up on and you wash it off and it will scare you. I have told many to walk away from cars that were patched up for sale and were sub par.

The fact is most cars that are gaining value now are from the 70's like the 10th anniversary TA and other rare TA models. A few others are appreciating today too. The collector market as a whole really has not invaded the 80's much outside the GN and some odd cars here and there. It will be about another ten years before the 80's will see much moment. Even then few will make you rich as there are very few cars of that era that were not produced in great numbers.

Also the era of the rare one of 6 COPO built cars just was not really done much in that era.

There are few cars of this era that will carry the rarity that has carried some big dollar cars. In the next ten years the public will take notice of some of these cars and some you may expect will show up in the collector markets and some you never considered will take of in the collector markets due to what interest the pubic in that era.

It could be the odd ball 2+2 Pontiac no one loved could spark the interest of the collectors since do few were build and remain it could drive prices to where no one saw it coming. Remember it took Chrysler 3 years to sell all the winged cars as no one loved them for nearly 3 decades before prices spiked.

Hell Nick Mason of Pink Floyd I think paid $7,000 or about for his GTO Ferrari. He loved the car but most people saw it as a used up race car that was even more expensive to repair and hard to tune. Today it is reported one may have traded privately for nearly $50 Million Dollars today.

You can not pick a rare car often cheap. These cars are made due to market demands and supply on their own.

You want to make money invest in Gold or a good money market. You want a fun car to play with then buy a collector car. But only buy what you like as if it turns out to be a dud at least you own a car you like.

What your saying is in agreement with what I said; you, people you know and people I know were heading south in the 80's buying up solid examples of muscle cars. That is the generation of cars people wanted then and still do, they were just a lot cheaper at the time. You're right, the Trans Am's have a good following, the GMC Typhoon and Syclone can be thrown in there also. The Fiero just isn't at the same level. I hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see my T-Top Formula be worth something someday but I'm not going to hold my breath.
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Yep! I'm 22 and I have 3 sports cars! None of my friends can say that :P
Some of my friends paid more for a 90s Toyota corolla HAHAHA!

I think part of the reason is that there are so many in horrible condition that are at a very low price that people assume that all Fieros aren't worth much. In my book, the less I spend on something the more enjoyment I get out of it. If I spent 100k on a car I would be afraid to drive it lol
My advice to others: If you want an awesome car that is fun, affordable and really only limited by your skills and imagination, then the Fiero is the best choice. If you want a car that is a collector or to make money, don't buy a Fiero.

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the truth! Drive it, work on it, enjoy it and try not to spend toooooooooo much money on it! LOL! Forget about all the BS. Its a great car and I love it!

------------------
FIEROBUG!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The demand for Fieros is just not there. They sell for a low price because with few exceptions, cars of that era are not worth very much.The 80's were terrible years for performance cars. The 84-88 Vettes are just slightly faster than a Fiero V6 and they too sell for very low prices. The Pontiac Fiero is and will continue to be the low budget collector car. You could add $35K in upgrades and you'll be lucky to get $10 K if you sell.
I own Fieros for the timeless style and with an engine swap and a suspension upgrade, the car has the performance that fits the looks.
True big buck car collectors laugh at Fiero owners but if the truth be known we are probably having more fun than they are.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing I think many forget too is the demand is there but for good cars. I mean really good cars.

A clean lower mile Fiero can easily go $12K-15K with the right options and condition.

Many forget most people who collect are often looking for best examples and better options and the demand is there and those are great prices for cars of that era.

You have to remember not only is there a lot of Fiero's but many are just not in the condition a collector would consider.

I know many of you have nice cars but they are not what collectors outside the Fiero hobby look for, They want original and they want lower prime examples. Not cars with non factory colors, modifications and 100K miles.

They also do not restore cars as often to restore a car even a high dollar GTO is more expensive than buying one that is done or original.

Also keep in mind too a V6 factory car is like a SS Chevelle with a big block. It is the one to have. The 4 cylinder is a Malibu sedan with a 307 in their eyes. Not that they are bad cars but they are not the lower volume prime example of their cars. Even today with so few Chevelle sedans left the prices are not going to move much. Most have become parts cars for other projects and hot rods as original is not what the collector markets want.

Just saying you have a Fiero does not value the car but saying you have an 88 GT or you have prototype power steering is what sets a car apart for the collector.

You can not consider car collectors the same as a Fiero fan. They are different and look for different things and often are the ones willing to pay more to get what they want. They drive the market.

Lets face it many here got into a Fiero because they liked them but many also got into them because we could not afford a Corvette or other more expensive model No shame in that. I got here because of my age in 1985 I could not afford the insurance for a TA but today I have no regrets having chose my Fiero. We came here for many reasons but much of us are here due to price. I still want to get a Corvette and will get one but the Fiero will remain as it has become a part of me after 31 years.

Now with that said if I wanted another I would not buy a $500 fixer upper nor recommend one as for what you could pay for a good example it would be about the same or cheaper to buy it vs. restoration over the long run if you can afford it.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another problem is the same one that the Pantera had; For years- actually decades- The car was seen as a mongrel with no pedigree.....Prices were cheap and that was even for ones in perfect shape. All tho the Fiero is not technically a mongrel, most people look at anything with a 4V engine as GOLDEN, while anything with a PR engine is simply crap(We won't discuss the fact that Corvettes spank lambos, porsches, Ferraris and Mclarens on every track in the world!)

There was 3 guys at the CG air Station where I used to work who owned & raced Miatas- At first they would literally snear at my Fiero- But one of them followed me thru a clover-leaf getting off the freeway one time and then they were willing to talk to me. Of course it doesn't help that a lot of Fieros are owned by people who don't have money to take care of them properly- and some of the mods that I have seen have been......lacking in technical knowledge......
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I can remember my buddy tried to sell me a Pantera back in the 80's for $18K.

The one thing that will help the top end Fiero models is that it is very unique and it is a two seat sports car. This could get some of the better condition V6 and GT's to be seen in a better light. The Corvair has seen this with the Spyder Monza and Yenko models.

But like I said look at all the cars from the 80's and few are worth more than a clean 88 GT from the big three.

Just if you have a coupe 4 cylinder just do not expect much in increases. The demand will never come to them till the V6 cars in good condition are difficult to buy cheap. That will be a while.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really depends upon what someone is looking for.
I looked for quite a few months for an 88 notchback, for a swap. The only requirements were no rust, a manual trans, and factory A/C. Didn't even have to run reliably (although moving under its own power was a plus.) Decent body and paint were also high on the list, although bright red was a big turn-off.
Pretty narrow parameters.

I finally found what I wanted (a white 88 coupe) at an "exotic" dealer in Las Vegas. His asking price was $2999 plus the usual junk fees.
I ended up paying $2500, delivered to my door. From Vegas to West GA.
It purrs like a kitten and shifts like butter. The brakes are decent too. Front pads were about used up. Big deal.
I'm just about finished rebuilding the suspension. I'll do a few cosmetic things to it, and drive it for a while. Until I get ready to do my swap, or until it breaks. Whichever comes first.

The point is, you just have to find the right buyer (or BE the right buyer.) And you can't be in a hurry. Being in a hurry, to buy OR to sell, will end up costing you.
Steel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From my experience the long time niche owners of the Fiero, the people who made it an obsession to collect and take to car shows, have also driven the values down.. at least within the Fiero community that is. They constantly hassle people trying to sell their Fiero's by hounding them about the price being too high.. even insulting and laughing at the advertisements. Sure, there's ridiculous ads with ludicrous prices.. but there's a lot of legit sales as well where the owners didn't deserve the public flogging they received.

I caught onto this quickly and ended sales within the community because it's just not worth the effort... or the headache. I've sold 11 Fiero's from my front yard and my business parking lot now.. at much much higher values than you see here or most places online. I sell a lot of performance parts and such on FB 3800 groups and a few different forums.. where when I tried to sell to the many 3800 owners right on this forum, I was literally bombarded with absolutely ridiculous 1/8th price offers.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here by saying this either but it seems like an overall very depressed group of car owners and their attitudes have impacted the vehicles and their collect-ability/values.. it really seems like many are tired of having to defend the Fiero to the masses and it's just turned into a chore more than it has an actual hobby.. it's not fun and people don't pay for things they don't enjoy. Compared to the other car groups I own cars in and am active in, the Fiero scene is really bone dry, boring and on it's last legs.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you look beyond the rhetoric; the simple basis of Fiero selling prices comes down to supply and demand and they are always inversely proportional. Fieros are just not Hemi-Cudas, Shelby Cobra's, Thunderbird's, Early Mustangs or 57 Chevy's.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the question is, how much does a Fiero cost? Very few are stock, for one reason or another.

Purchase nice Fiero - $5,000
Paint job - $3,000
Tires - $600
Steering wheel recover - $150
Trunk seal - $100
Seat covers - $400
Radio - $70
LED lighting - $1,000
Refinish wheels - $300
Headlight motor rebuild - 80
Headlight upgrade - $600
Exhaust - $700
Motor mounts - $300
Bushings/suspension - $1,500
Sensors, solenoids & filters - $600
Fuel pump - $70
Fuel sending unit - $150
Tail light restore - $300
Interior repair - $60
Control arms, ball joints, tie rods, rack, spindles, trailing arms - $3,000
Battery - $100
Drive accessories, pumps - $2,000
Booster, brake lines, brake hoses, calipers, pins, sliders, rotors, pads - $3,000
Fuel hoses, coolant hoses, AC hoses, tranny cooler hoses - $2,000
Distrubutor, rotor, cap, plugs, wires, o-ring - $400
EGR valve, pipe - $100
Belts - $40
Various nots, bolts, gaskets - $300
Rust treatment - $200
Coolant overflow, washer fluid tank - $60
Spare tire cover - $60
Interior switches - $200
Gauge faces - $100
Power window morors - $300
Lock actuators - $100
Heater core - $60
Rearview mirror - $100
Headliner - $100
Windshield,seal - $150
Shift knob - $50
Repair/recalibrate gauges - $60
Dew wipes, felts - $160
Sunroof tracks & seal - $200
Vacuum lines - $100
Visors - $60

It adds up. That's roughly $26K. I know I've added this all before, somewhere. Anyway, add an engine swap, dash swap, body mods, etc, and the price goes up. Add maintenance to this. Qualified mechanics and parts are hard to find. You may get your purchase price.

By comparison, you could buy a Corvette for, say, $13K, and it's ready to go. Add maintenance to this, but qualified mechanics and parts are readily available. Resale is good.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 07-24-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Maybe the question is, how much does a Fiero cost? Very few are stock, for one reason or another.

Paint job - $3,000
Tires - $600
Trunk seal - $100
Seat covers - $400
Radio - $70
LED lighting - $1,000
Refinish wheels - $300
Headlight upgrade - $600
Exhaust - $700
Motor mounts - $300
Fuel pump - $70
Fuel sending unit - $150
Interior repair - $60
Battery - $100
Booster, brake lines, brake hoses, calipers, pins, sliders, rotors, pads - $3,000
EGR valve, pipe - $100
Belts - $40
Rust treatment - $200
Spare tire cover - $60
Interior switches - $200
Gauge faces - $100
Lock actuators - $100
Heater core - $60
Rearview mirror - $100
Headliner - $100
Windshield,seal - $150
Shift knob - $50
Dew wipes, felts - $160
Vacuum lines - $100
Visors - $60

It adds up. That's roughly $26K. I know I've added this all before, somewhere. Anyway, add an engine swap, dash swap, body mods, etc, and the price goes up. Add maintenance to this. Qualified mechanics and parts are hard to find. You may get your purchase price.

By comparison, you could buy a Corvette for, say, $13K, and it's ready to go. Add maintenance to this, but qualified mechanics and parts are readily available. Resale is good.

This is why people with low mile 88 GT models can get $12K-$15K for their cars as they are a model in demand out of all Fiero's and the fact that you could not restore a old trashed one for that price.

You have to look at this several ways.

Yes it is true on Supply and demand on the price. The Fiero is not rare but goods clean versions with low miles of the most desired models are shrinking.

The Fiero has two sub sets of buyers. The one is the guy trying to have a collector car but can not afford a lot of other cars. They see the Fiero as a opportunity to have a unique car at a bargain price. These are the guys who buy the high mile car and are willing to fix them up over time.

The other group is the more traditional buyer. They are the ones who want the best or most desired models and are willing to pay more for a low mile pristine example. They can afford to pay the money up front and in the end save as it is a cheaper price than the long term fix.

With that said some options and models of the Fiero will be worth more as demand will drive the price. Other models will not ever be worth a lot and also the condition and how it was restored may hold a lot of the future of the value.

You can spend $5K or more for a good paint but many are willing to settle for a Maco which is fine but do not expect it to add to the value of the car as much as a higher quality job. An original paint will always demand more money in prime condition.

The other factor is the outside buyers with money are only going to look to a GT and lower mile cars. This again will drive price. A V6 is a must for most if they are collecting.

The base cars and 4 cylinders will appreciate in time but that will only happen when it becomes difficult to find a V6 car in prime condition. We see this with the 55-57 Chevys. First the Bel Airs went and then the lesser models as time went on. The sedans never saw the big money but they did gain value over time when it became more difficult to by a top line model.

The bottom line is if you want to make money invest in a good stock or gold. If you want to enjoy cars buy what you like and not worry about the money or value. The value is what it is in the end. Some get lucky and some get by.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Paint job - $3,000
Tires - $600
Trunk seal - $100
Seat covers - $400
Radio - $70
LED lighting - $1,000
Refinish wheels - $300
Headlight upgrade - $600
Exhaust - $700
Motor mounts - $300
Fuel pump - $70
Fuel sending unit - $150
Interior repair - $60
Battery - $100
EGR valve, pipe - $100
Belts - $40
Rust treatment - $200
Spare tire cover - $60
Interior switches - $200
Gauge faces - $100
Lock actuators - $100
Heater core - $60
Rearview mirror - $100
Headliner - $100
Windshield,seal - $150
Shift knob - $50
Dew wipes, felts - $160
Vacuum lines - $100
Visors - $60

You can get Fieros ready to go for less than that 5k price.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure you can. You've seen mine over 2 years. I could have done nothing but driven it. In another 30 years, it'd be in the junkyard. Or, I could choose to maintain it, and it may last for another 30 years.

I've seen 2 of your Fieros. I don't know the purchase price, but I'd guess you have more than $5K in each. Yes, there are nice Fieros out there, but they seem to have random issues that result in breakdowns. Breakdowns interrupt the flow of my day, so I avoid them, by replacing suspect parts. I also buy parts I may need, but that may not be available when I do need them.

Cost it over the duration of your ownership. At one time, all Fieros were ready to go. I almost bought a used one recently, that had less than 500 miles. It had been kept in a controlled environment. I figured that, by the time I got all the seals, gaskets, and other rubber things replaced, and got it running properly, I'd have a car I couldn't afford to maintain, for more than one with 50K or fewer miles. I don't have a garage or other storage area, so I do have to keep mine up.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't have a garage ...

That makes a big difference, if I didn't have a garage I wouldnt even own any nice cars. Id be looking for a place and building a garage first. But weather up here can be hard on cars.
Sure very car needs maintenance. Preventative as well, but remember not to make it such a job you cant enjoy it, or afford it.
Fieros are cheap to maintain compared to a lot of cars. IMO

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-25-2016).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2016 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
none of the 80's cars have taken off,

other than some limited model vette and the GNX that was big money from before the day they rolled into showrooms..

The areo coupe SS first year was 200 ish built, and it still hasn't really taken off, nor the Pontiac 2+2, the 3rd gen t/a hamburger built (SLP) firehawks, the 89 turbo t/a
Ford SVO , or t bird super coupe..

80's cars have a problem, the cars after them handle better, are faster, and are still real cheap..

the 79-81 t/a only a few years ago was a 10k car, now they are going up..
the mid to late 80's cars have another 10 years or so.. as there is still to many muscle cars, avail. that are a sure bet, plus no one makes parts for the 80's vehicles.. try to get parts for a CCC q jet that will work with ethanol mix fuel.. or interior parts..etc.. I know It's a fiero forum, but to the hipo buyer looking for an 80's car, 2 seater, you can get a 84-87 vetter for 3-4 grand that is clean , drop a junkyard ls in it, and have 10 times the car as a fiero.. and have less in it than most do that do the 3800 s/c swap.. I like mine, but I know a bone stock c4 vette will out handle it, after dumping $$$ in the underpinning of the fiero..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 07-26-2016).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock