Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Stock "Hi-Tech" Alloy Rims - Other Options to Accommodate Wider Tires?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Stock "Hi-Tech" Alloy Rims - Other Options to Accommodate Wider Tires? by Cokeologist
Started on: 07-19-2016 10:16 AM
Replies: 12 (631 views)
Last post by: Carcenomy on 07-23-2016 07:41 AM
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for some guidance regarding rim options. The goal is to retain the look of the stock “hi-tech” alloy rims while allowing for a wider tire on the rear.

I have an 85 Fiero 2M6 and prefer the look of the stock “hi-tech” alloy rims with RWL tires (currently have Goodrich Radial T/A RWL P215 60R 14 all the way around; pic from before new tires):

I would like to move to a wider tire on the rears, but the only option I can find for the Goodrich Radial T/A RWL that will fit the stock 14” x 6” hi-tech alloy rim is a P225 60R 14. This is only 10mm wider than my current tires, which doesn’t seem enough to justify changing (235’s require a 6.5”w rim, and 245’s require a 7”w rim per Goodrich specs).

Are there any other rim options, perhaps from other Pontiacs of the era, that retain the same look of these hi-tech alloy rims and that will direct bolt on to the stock wheel bolts, and also provide appropriate rear wheel well clearance? If there are such rims but not direct bolt on, is there an adapter that would work? I would prefer to change only the rear rims to accommodate the wider tires, and retain the current BFG P215 60R 14s in the front. Thanks in advance for the guidance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a company in the UK that utilizes "Hi-Tech" fiero rims and makes them into a larger sized rim...need to hunt for their site...there was a thread somewhere on the forum a few years ago about them.

Here is a picture of them.

Found the link:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091851.html

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 07-19-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just switch tire brands. I love my fat, white letter Mastercraft avenger g/t's.
The firebird got wheels like this for the third generation (82-92) but only certain ones got this convex facing, and the bolt pattern is 4.75". No clue what difference there is in offset. Wheel adapters are strongly discouraged.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firebird wheels are probably wider, but you'd have to switch bolt patterns.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-20-2016).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there is clearance on the back side, you could look into getting them widened on the back side. I think the cost is around $150 per wheel and here is just one of likely several vendors http://www.ericvaughnmachine.com/Services.html

Here is a sample pic from google:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-19-2016).]

David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new '84 SE in May of '84. I put 235/60 all around the first time it needed tires. They fit and worked fine, but I've been using 225/60 since. (32+ years, 372,000 kilometers and still going.)
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

I'm normally not a fan of this style of wheel, but THOSE are the nicest I've EVER seen. Beautiful!

Cokeologist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

I'm normally not a fan of this style of wheel, but THOSE are the nicest I've EVER seen. Beautiful!

Thanks; my resto shop did an unbelievable job with my restoration all around, including the wheels. As you can see, they added an Indy wheel tape stripe which was a really nice touch.
Cokeologist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cokeologist

462 posts
Member since Nov 2010

Originally posted by 2.5:

Firebird wheels are probably wider, but you'd have to switch bolt patterns.

Thanks 2.5; pls pardon my ignorance but what is involved in switching bolt patterns?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks 2.5; pls pardon my ignorance but what is involved in switching bolt patterns?

I'm not fully up to speed on that myself actually. It would involve either a hub swap, or using adapters, both of those open up their own cans of worms. I hope someone who has done it will comment.
The offset becomes important so the wheel doesn't stick out of your wheel well, it might be that adding to the back of the wheel itself is the best option.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-20-2016).]

Cokeologist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'm not fully up to speed on that myself actually. It would involve either a hub swap, or using adapters, both of those open up their own cans of worms. I hope someone who has done it will comment.

Just a bump in hopes that someone can enlighten me on this. Thanks.
PFF
System Bot
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2016 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'd be better off having your wheels widened, especially if you only want the rears done. The only way to switch wheel patterns without having to mess with hubs and brake rotors is to use spacer/adapters, and between the adapter and the (wider? Offset?) Firebird wheel you'd be sticking the wheels out past the fender.
Carcenomy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

There is a company in the UK that utilizes "Hi-Tech" fiero rims and makes them into a larger sized rim...need to hunt for their site...there was a thread somewhere on the forum a few years ago about them.

Here is a picture of them.

Found the link:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091851.html

Essentially these UK guys just broke out the big lathe and parting tool, cut the Hi-Techs down to centres and bolted on wider and larger diameter barrels. I'd call a wheel builder like HRE or Rotiform and run it by them, they'd likely be able to do something to this effect

[This message has been edited by Carcenomy (edited 07-23-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock