Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  You Know You've Taken Your Fiero to the Wrong Repair Shop When: (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
You Know You've Taken Your Fiero to the Wrong Repair Shop When: by JohnWPB
Started on: 07-17-2016 04:12 PM
Replies: 47 (1160 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 07-28-2016 07:05 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ran across this on THIS WEBSITE that I stumbled across doing some research for some T-Shirts I am making for Frazee next week. I had never seen this posted here before, at least in the past 5 years. Even if it has, there are probably many others that have not seen this, and it is WELL worth reading!

1. They raise the front hood to check the oil.

2. They remove the plastic lug nut covers with an impact wrench.

3. They try to put a magnetic number (in the service area) on the roof of your car and wonder why it doesn't stick.

4. They put your front tires and wheels on the rear. (GTs and Formulas)

5. They don't know how to release the emergency brake.

6. They place a floor jack under the coolant pipes and crush them.

7. You tell them the car is a Fiero and they say "A WHAT?"

8. The mechanic tells you "all of these Japanese cars are just alike".

9. The service manager tells you the clicking sound you hear probably means you need a new speedometer cable.

10. They can't find the battery.

11. The service manager shakes his head and tells you, "'cause these little cars are SO much different from what we usually work on it is going to cost you a whole lot more to fix!"

12. They try to sell you new front struts.

13. They tell you GM doesn't make parts for the car anymore.

14. They do a front brake job on your '88 and charge you for repacking the wheel bearings.

15. They can't find the air filter.(V-6 models)

16. They put five quarts of oil in your Tech-4.

17. They check the coolant level by removing the radiator cap with the back of the car jacked up.

18. Their service manager offers you a tune-up for $69.95 that includes "points, plugs and carb adjustment".

19. The alignment shop tells you rear caster can't be adjusted.

20. Nobody in the shop has the slightest clue on how to change a tail light bulb.

21. The guy at the quick oil change place tells you he topped of your power-steering fluid.

22. They say that you should have that knick on your hood touched up before rust sets in.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

4. They put your front tires and wheels on the rear. ('88 GTs and Formulas)

Fixed.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
19 is wrong for its intended purpose. Rear caster isn't adjustable, but the rear camber and toe are.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An aside to the original post...

You Know You've Called the Wrong Towing Company When:

They pass by your Fiero and keep on going, because they think they're looking for a GMC Sierra. (this actually happened to me once)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-17-2016).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This happened to me at a used parts locator store. Couldn't figure out why the blower motor was a sucker motor. Doh! He thought I said Ciera, of Oldsmobiles. Old timer at the counter and I myself am almost deaf. That was just waiting to happen.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

An aside to the original post...

You Know You've Called the Wrong Towing Company When:

They pass by your Fiero and keep on going, because they think they're looking for a GMC Sierra. (this actually happened to me once)

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw them pop the front hood to check the oil last time I had it in for an inspection (they always check the oil even though have NO intention of letting them strip the sump plug, looking for business I guess).

However it did need a brake light bulb to pass the inspection so I had them do it rather than go home just to do that then have to go back. I watched the guy like a hawk (I trust nobody when it comes to my Fiero) but the guy did actually seem to know what he was doing.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you tell then what kind of car you are working on and they say "a what?"
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When they jack up the car by the plastic ground effects.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

That's ugly when they do that.. The only person that puts my Fiero on our Rotary two post Lift is myself . You know that you have the wrong mechanic when he says what kind of Ferrari is this??

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Pancake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I've seen similar for others. I think my favorite was for valve issues on an RX7 but I actually remember once where a Jiffy Lube (shudder, I didn't have a jack and couldn't change oil at the apartment) wanted to change the serpentine belt on my 85 Supra. You know, the car that had 4 different belts because it predates a Toyota using a serp belt. People looking for the engine in a Fiero could be fun
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled up at one of the local establishments for an E-check.
First thing out of the guy's mouth... "Is this thing front wheel drive?"
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah some of these are funny, but I always have to remind myself these cars were only built for four years so a lot of people don't know anything about them.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:

I always have to remind myself these cars were only built for four years so a lot of people don't know anything about them.

Five years.

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Five years.

88-84= 4, +1= 5 years

my bad
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88-84= 4, +1= 5 years

my bad

Yup. Always double check with a finger count.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Yup. Always double check with a finger count.

Oh god...I just did that before I scrolled down and saw your post....Arrrggggggggggg!

And how about the good ole "I thought all of these cars burned up....I don't want that (Green) fire hazard in my shop!"

Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

I think at some point in the history, someone started to do that to mine. It has a light crease in one of the trim pieces but nothing nearly that bad.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

I think at some point in the history, someone started to do that to mine. It has a light crease in one of the trim pieces but nothing nearly that bad.

I was told I wasn't allowed in work shop when getting tires I ran in shouting as was watching from the door. Saved my ground effects and everything else from behind the door being crushed.
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

I was told I wasn't allowed in work shop when getting tires I ran in shouting as was watching from the door. Saved my ground effects and everything else from behind the door being crushed.

If I'm not allowed in the "work area" then I don't take my car there. (Fiero or otherwise). Too many places have completely clueless morons that know little to nothing about cars and don't give a damn about yours. I watch them like a hawk while standing next to my car. (or at least within sight and shouting distance if I can't be directly next to it). Any decent mechanic who knows what they are doing have no issue with this, as they don't have to try to hide their ignorance. I've saved my coolant pipes more than once as I watched them start to lift my GT.

I am fortunate enough to know a few good shops in the area, and I trust them with my cars. Mainly because they are smart enough to "know what they don't know" and ASK QUESTIONS. I don't expect an average shop to know every detail about a car that was manufactured 30 years ago, but if they don't know enough to ASK when in doubt, I don't go there. Usually a few minutes speaking with the mechanic(s) let's me know if I should be there or just move on.

My favorite is when I (rarely) take it to have someone else change the oil - I always ask if they know the car. "Are you familiar with the Fiero", I'll get "Of course" or "very familiar"... and they walk to the front of the car waiting for me to pop the hood.......
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

... and they walk to the front of the car waiting for me to pop the hood.......

That is just the standard(But still hilarious) joke for getting the Fiero(Or any other mid- or rear engined car...) serviced.

Someone who owns a Fiero had gotten tired of people asking "Where's the engine?" while looking up front, so he installed a squirrel cage with a mouse w/scuba tank painted like a NOS tank up front....."There you go! That's what powers my Fiero!" I carry a pic of his set-up in my front compartment....
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:
Someone who owns a Fiero had gotten tired of people asking "Where's the engine?" while looking up front, so he installed a squirrel cage with a mouse w/scuba tank painted like a NOS tank up front....."There you go! That's what powers my Fiero!" I carry a pic of his set-up in my front compartment....

I plan on relocating my battery to the front eventually - once I do, I'll just tell people it's electric, and that's what powers it. $10 says at least half of the people would say "really?"......
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I plan on relocating my battery to the front eventually - once I do, I'll just tell people it's electric, and that's what powers it. $10 says at least half of the people would say "really?"......

Mount a few amps next to it, it'll look even more legit.
Fastfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years back when I had my first Fiero and I didn't know much about cars, when it needed the clutch replaced I took it to Pep Boys (because I worked there so I figured...Discount!). After doing research I purchased a RAM clutch kit from the Fiero Store and also the updated release arm for the slave cylinder and I verified that my car already had the all steel pedal. I also had Them install a new master and slave cylinder. After they were finished they called me over and said I had diagnosed it wrong and that must have not been the issue. After they replaced everything the car would not go into gear at all when the engine was running. I could feel good engagement from the clutch pedal. Before giving up I had the car towed to a mechanic recomended by the people I purchased it off of and he called me back the next day to tell me that Pep Boys installed the clutch backwards. I'm thinking WTF, it was stamped on the clutch disk in big white letters "Flywheel side"!

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

[This message has been edited by Fastfiero1 (edited 07-20-2016).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Mount a few amps next to it, it'll look even more legit.

I have a giant 'power inverter' up front with meters on it.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I have a giant 'power inverter' up front with meters on it.

Nice.
Carpeted washer fluid too, thats the first time I've seen that.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Park that next to a Tesla. Open only the front. Make sure you get there first.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a friend who managed a pepboys and so I had them install a replacement alternator in my 3.4L DOHC Grand Prix. They forgot to install the air deflector and I had to replace that alternator the following year (second shop said that was most likely the reason the part went bad). I don't use chain shops.

Originally posted by Fastfiero1:

Years back when I had my first Fiero and I didn't know much about cars, when it needed the clutch replaced I took it to Pep Boys (because I worked there so I figured...Discount!). After doing research I purchased a RAM clutch kit from the Fiero Store and also the updated release arm for the slave cylinder and I verified that my car already had the all steel pedal. I also had Them install a new master and slave cylinder. After they were finished they called me over and said I had diagnosed it wrong and that must have not been the issue. After they replaced everything the car would not go into gear at all when the engine was running. I could feel good engagement from the clutch pedal. Before giving up I had the car towed to a mechanic recomended by the people I purchased it off of and he called me back the next day to tell me that Pep Boys installed the clutch backwards. I'm thinking WTF, it was stamped on the clutch disk in big white letters "Flywheel side"!

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 07-20-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastfiero1:

.... it was stamped on the clutch disk in big white letters "Flywheel side"!

First rule of "professional" mechanics is "Don't ever learn to read"......
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

First rule of "professional" mechanics is "Don't ever learn to read"......

Second Rule is : You ALWAYS know more than the car's owner...
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shop I use when I run into something I can no longer do myself has a mechanic that worked at a Pontiac dealership and has Fiero experience. However I don't think he'll be working on mine since it has a Kelmark GT body on it.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88-84= 4, +1= 5 years

my bad

Actually it's 88-83 = 5 years.

The Fiero came out September 22 of 1983 as an 84 model.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-20-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2016 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Actually it's 88-83 = 5 years.

The Fiero came out September 22 of 1983 as an 84 model.

Yup, production ran from August '83 to August '88.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heh...how many years to you see?

http://www.calgaryfieros.com/FIEROintro.htm

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-21-2016).]

trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

The shop I use when I run into something I can no longer do myself has a mechanic that worked at a Pontiac dealership and has Fiero experience. However I don't think he'll be working on mine since it has a Kelmark GT body on it.

Tom - who is that? I can always use another good mechanic. PM me! I still need to swing by to see the Kelmark. Just got my GT back from my body/paint guy, added some "upgrades". Right now I have the dash pulled apart to fix the temp gauge, switch to white gauge faces and LED lights. On vacation next week so I'll some time near the end of the week to finish her up, get her washed and polished and back on the road!

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

We need Pictures!!!
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I've tried everything to post pics here and for some reason they will not go through. I've had a few that made it but it was still hit and miss. I finally just gave up. PIP never has worked on any of my machines.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photobucket.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the shop tells you,

"They don't work on Toyota's"

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Oneredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneredfieroClick Here to visit Oneredfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OneredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Fixed.

86,87gt's had 205 front an 215 rear tire widths. It is still correct in the original post.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oneredfiero:

86,87gt's had 205 front an 215 rear tire widths. It is still correct in the original post.

Are you suggesting that no one with an '86 or '87 GT has ever installed the same size tires all around?

Or maybe they're all still running the factory original tires?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock