Let's talk about the hue of the blue by lorennerol
Started on: 07-11-2016 07:47 PM
Replies: 32 (1446 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 10-17-2016 05:32 AM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had my blue 87 repainted last year I took the painter the actual color chip from the 1987 Pontiac Dealer Product book. The book calls the color "Bright Blue Metallic".

The car came back a perfect match to the chip. But it is a bit darker than it was and than any factory-blue Fiero I've seen. Additionally, I don't recall the factory color, which I'd call gumball blue, having much, if any, metal flake at all.

So...is the chip I have defective, were the cars never painted to match the chip, or was the factory paint highly susceptible to fading?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are correct....there was no metallic (or much less than your picture) in '87 Fiero blue, so my bet is that Pontiac messed up that book.

edit: nice paint job, however..........

This thread shows the color as I recall it...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138229.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-11-2016).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seem to remember seeing an original blue that had metallic visible in it, but as you said, much less. Color chips are printed and are susceptible to press variations. It was difficult in those days to duplicate a spray painted metallic color.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, here is the original color:

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 07-11-2016).]

Chief

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefSend a Private Message to ChiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original blue color was indeed metallic.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't be a Fiero thread without:

Originally posted by Gall757:

You are correct....there was no metallic (or much less than your picture) in '87 Fiero blue

Originally posted by Chief:

The original blue color was indeed metallic.

Appreciate the input- it bugs me a bit that the car sort of came out not stock, even though it matches the 'official' Pontiac dealer book and paint chip.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Wouldn't be a Fiero thread without:

Appreciate the input- it bugs me a bit that the car sort of came out not stock, even though it matches the 'official' Pontiac dealer book and paint chip.

Chief is right. The name of the color was Bright Blue Metallic...so yea..... This would not be the first time a car company messed up a chip book.
Chief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChiefSend a Private Message to ChiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chief is right. The name of the color was Bright Blue Metallic...so yea..... This would not be the first time a car company messed up a chip book.

The paint chips were a sales tool and approximate the color, they are not and have NEVER been the exact color of the vehicle as the paint batches for the chips varied. Color matching in those days was mostly done by eye under vastly different lighting conditions which yields varying results. Not to mention what time, temperature, lighting and climatic changes do to paint. The software and devices that are used for color matching these days is not 100% accurate, nor are our monitors, or screens as tones and hues vary with each device.

You have a beautiful car with a great paint job why sour it for yourself; Just enjoy !!!!

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 07-11-2016).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are correct....there was no metallic (or much less than your picture) in '87 Fiero blue, so my bet is that Pontiac messed up that book.

I wondered if the factory blue cars varied from batch to batch. My initial impression of the factory blue is that its quite noticeably metallic. But maybe some cars are less so.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just want to chime in- The "Ford" Blue they painted the Fieros just didn't look that good to me....And I am originally a Ford guy......The darker metallic blue you have looks fantastic- like the red metallic they painted the 87-88s, it makes the car look ten times more expensive- Not like a plastic toy.

(This is my opinion and any resemblance to anything anyone should take too seriously is purely a coincidence)
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I just want to chime in- The "Ford" Blue they painted the Fieros just didn't look that good to me....And I am originally a Ford guy......The darker metallic blue you have looks fantastic- like the red metallic they painted the 87-88s, it makes the car look ten times more expensive- Not like a plastic toy.

(This is my opinion and any resemblance to anything anyone should take too seriously is purely a coincidence)

The bright red on 88s was not a metallic, and was not the same as used on the 87s. 84-87 used the same bright red and was unique to the Fiero. The bright red on the 88 was the same bright red used on the Corvette that year. Now the burgundy red, that's another story (and it is a metallic finish).

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 07-12-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Now the burgundy red, that's another story (and it is a metallic finish).

The burgundy red you mention was called "Medium Red Metallic" by Pontiac, and is what the previous poster it talking about, I think.

I do like the way my car turned out. It's just that we've gone to some pains to keep it 'stock', or at least stock-looking (it has a 3.4), and this throws a bit of a wrench in the works.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was indeed talking about the "Medium red metallic".....

I fully understand that you want the car to appear stock.....But it looks so good in the color you have- Like it should have looked from the factory.

Back around 1990 I saw a base Fiero that someone had repainted a Blue/green metallic....I thought that was a terrific color for the car.

Oh, and to continue the myth- Sad that all the factory green Fieros burned up!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

GM might have gotten their color chips mixed up. I have seen some Firebirds that were very close to that color.

With that said... your car looks amazing! I like it.

Edit - There was a "Bright Blue" F body color in 1989. They might have gotten them confused.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-12-2016).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I do like the way my car turned out. It's just that we've gone to some pains to keep it 'stock', or at least stock-looking (it has a 3.4), and this throws a bit of a wrench in the works.

I never was a fan of the 87 blue - but yours looks fantastic! MUCH better than the blue that came from the factory.

As far as "stock" goes, this is the way it SHOULD have looked, (but MUCH better) Like the 3.4, a big improvement, and what SHOULD have been installed at the factory....the way I see it, you just corrected a few mistakes the factory made. Slightly different, but a VAST improvement (both engine and paint)
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-18-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Yeah, here is the original color:

This pic is the only factory blue I have ever seen, on multiple cars, lighter, and I haven't noticed visible metallic in it.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-13-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

When I had my blue 87 repainted last year I took the painter the actual color chip from the 1987 Pontiac Dealer Product book. The book calls the color "Bright Blue Metallic".

The car came back a perfect match to the chip. But it is a bit darker than it was and than any factory-blue Fiero I've seen. Additionally, I don't recall the factory color, which I'd call gumball blue, having much, if any, metal flake at all.

It was an 87 Pontiac paint color book, probably meaning all 87 Pontiacs not just Fieros.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

It was an 87 Pontiac paint color book, probably meaning all 87 Pontiacs not just Fieros.

Maybe, but it sure seems Fiero-specific to me, and it's in the Fiero section of the large three-ring binder:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Confuses me, Id have to say what gall said:

...so yea..... This would not be the first time a car company messed up a chip book.

lorennerol your color is better anyway.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original blue had a good bit of metallic in it. One of our club members has an original blue SE that has spend most of its life inside under a cover. It is very close to the color of the OPs car, darker than cars that were not stored inside.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The original blue had a good bit of metallic in it. One of our club members has an original blue SE that has spend most of its life inside under a cover. It is very close to the color of the OPs car, darker than cars that were not stored inside.

What other years was blue available?
Maybe they switched blues halfway thru the year?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-13-2016).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That has been my working theory: That my car ended up with more metallic than OEM, but the hue was very close, and that there was something about the OEM paint that caused it to fade more than is typical.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as fading, '80s paint wasn't the best. Some colors oxidize worse than other colors.

It's always possible that things happened with paint at the factory. I had a '77 Dodge van that came from the factory--with paperwork--that Dodge claims they never built. Engine, body, and paint. Years later, I found the same body on another van. The paint color eventually showed up in some books as original. Fieros exist that were ”destroyed”.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2016 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

About ten years ago I went to look at a blue Fiero GT. The price was really good... but I didn't buy it. I couldn't stand the factory blue.

Your car on the other hand looks great. That's a very nice blue.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What other years was blue available?
Maybe they switched blues halfway thru the year?

1987 color only.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1987 color only.

And only available for part of the year: I ordered an '87 GT in Bright Blue Metallic and received one in Medium Red Metallic.....color changed by the dealer without my knowledge....he offered to undo the deal since he wanted more of them in Medium Red Metallic (this was down in Lancaster, PA) on his lot and explained that Bright Blue Metallic was only offered for a few months.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:
Bright Blue Metallic was only offered for a few months.

Ha! Probably just long enough for GM Designers to find out the factory messed up and the cars did not match the chip book!
(making lorennerol's car the only, or one of the few correct cars!.... )

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-14-2016).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting (if not a bit of a tangent) that white isn't shown as an 87 color. (Nor is it shown in Mark Corbin's Fiero Spotter's Guide.)

I have seen several white 87 coupes and GTs. Never a white 87 SE, though.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the years I've tried to get good photos showing the metallic content in the blue, in different lighting the color always looks different. The video shows it the best.

This is original paint, has about two weeks out in the sun since leaving the factory.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 10-17-2016).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like he has a perfect example of the old saying, "If ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Yes, indeed it looks great.

I just brought a gallon of blue metallic pearl base coat that was marked down from $280 to $80 because it was a miss-match.
Miss match or not, it looks awesome on the can lid and even richer in it. I can't wait to see it on the car.
It looks like we're going to have some great painting temperatures weather-wise the next three days!

Originally posted by trivet:

I never was a fan of the 87 blue - but yours looks fantastic! MUCH better than the blue that came from the factory.

As far as "stock" goes, this is the way it SHOULD have looked, (but MUCH better) Like the 3.4, a big improvement, and what SHOULD have been installed at the factory....the way I see it, you just corrected a few mistakes the factory made. Slightly different, but a VAST improvement (both engine and paint)

PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your blue is a very nice hue
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-17-2016 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The formula and color are most likely correct..
Difference being the original was painted with pre 2k paint and the new paint is k2 paint, and they tend to be more transparent so the metallic shows through more than the original did.
Also, metallic paint "look" depends on the painter and the temp. and reducer used.. if the metallic flakes lay down they look different from the same color from the same can that the flakes stand up.
This is why metallic colors are easy to tiger stripe , and harder to match to the rest of a vehicle , even when the painter "blends" the paint into panels..

The paint on car looks good, enjoy it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock