Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  aftermarket shift console surround - any interest? Not a scam...just wondering

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
aftermarket shift console surround - any interest? Not a scam...just wondering by lou_dias
Started on: 07-11-2016 12:58 PM
Replies: 18 (986 views)
Last post by: kevin on 03-14-2021 03:28 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm making one for myself out of PLA and I'll probably get it vinyl-wrapped. I also may pleather it instead and that's why I left some gaps....

I'll be able to make 1 or 2 a week once I get the design down incase anyone *might* be interested.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm on board with the idea, but PLA tends to be brittle. I already have brittle. ABS or PET* may be a better choice.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this is a prototype, so to save costs, I'm going to use PLA first since it may still need some tweaking in order to accept the stock shift plate.
ABS will cost $20 more in material costs roughly...but trivial to pick one material vs. another.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you 3D printing it, vacuum forming,...?

Yeah, don't want to break the bank on the prototype. I had no idea PLA was that much less. I know TPU and PVA are expensive, along with TPE.

Actually, those flexible materials may be a better fit. ABS has a but of give. Mix it a bit for TPU or TPE, and no wrapping would be needed, but probably an additional $40. I'm just not sure about the effect of UV. Still, if I were going to make it, I'd make it with an aluminum frame, and mold something like TPU over it. No corrosion, not brittle, and no cover needed. But I know little of such things.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PLA will warp in the hot interior of a car. I've prototyped a few things for the interior with PLA and over time the PLA continues to "flow"

I would recommend ABS even if it costs more.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I would recommend ABS even if it costs more.

Isn't the skeleton ABS? My experience with ABS is that it is brittle. The last thing the Fiero interior needs is more brittle parts. Polyethylene would be tougher, I think.

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2016 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm still prototyping in PLA. Hopefully the next one is perfect, but it may require 1 more. I have to wait about a week to get it shipped to me. The thing about those more exotic materials is the cost.
Also looking into console trays.

Down the road, I'd probably want to make a replacement vent/heater/stereo section that angles from the end of the shift surround to the top of the stock location and make it handle a double-din stereo and use the stock vents and climate controls ... but that's real far down the road.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2016 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2020 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
I’ll purchase one👍! Please provide us the current status.
Cordially,
kevin
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I don't know if you should bother with the add on console tray. The Fiero Store already sells them painted and finished for $29.95. As for the console itself I would believe that there will be buyers for that part.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow this is an old post. and i am working on making one of these in abs......
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2021 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't know if you should bother with the add on console tray. The Fiero Store already sells them painted and finished for $29.95. As for the console itself I would believe that there will be buyers for that part.

Idk id love to have a copy of that model.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let us keep this alive!!!
I want to purchase this surround, Does anybody else market a new shift surround!
kevin
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad to say, but most Fiero people are drifting away by the day. Parts vendors are slowly going away and the whole community has slowed down. Good parts and actual decent parts readily available are in the tank. If the Fierostore or Rodney closed up, a lot of us would be stuck without access to thousand of parts and it would be a hobby of used parts. Sad this is how it is coming. I don't see the Fierostore going away or Rodney but a lot of our vendors are getting older and health starts to become an issue to. I hope people step up soon as some of us that are younger are still going to be doing this hobby 20 years from now.

------------------
88 Formula - 3800SC/4t65eHD
88 Coupe - 3800SC/4t65eHD
87GT - Great Blue Chop Top

dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2021 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turns out there's at least two of these on Thingiverse already, for those wanting to print:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3599517

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3859079

I haven't actually looked at them in detail nor tried printing them, but there are options.

-- A

[This message has been edited by dremu (edited 02-06-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen these a few times sounds like new aftermarket. [url=]https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Accu-Form-Molded-Console-Lid-FOR-1984-1988-PONTIAC-FIERO/311514552822?fits=Model%3AFiero&hash=item4887b6d9f6:g:U7AAAOSwbsta18FR[/url]
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I have seen these a few times sounds like new aftermarket. [url=]https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Accu-Form-Molded-Console-Lid-FOR-1984-1988-PONTIAC-FIERO/311514552822?fits=Model%3AFiero&hash=item4887b6d9f6:g:U7AAAOSwbsta18FR[/url]

Fiero Store sells this one - basically it is just a cap that goes over top what you have already..
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2021 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dear Lou,
I am following up on your PFF post. I am VERY interested in purchasing your Fiero shifter surround!
How do I buy one? Please follow up and keep me posted on your shifter surround. I need one!!!
Cordially,
Kevin Sullivan
Ps. If you like, you can call me 916-600-6482
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2021 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kevin

2722 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Dear Lou,
I am following up on your PFF post. I am VERY interested in purchasing your Fiero shifter surround!
How do I buy one? Please follow up and keep me posted on your shifter surround. I need one!!!
Cordially,
Kevin Sullivan
Ps. If you like, you can call me 916-600-6482

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock