Started on: 07-03-2016 01:07 AM
Replies: 11 (448 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 07-05-2016 11:40 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2016 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New pics added.

Picked this up this weekend at the local yard. It was on the back of a 84 base coupe. Its as wide as a stock fiero, has a lip on the back like the stock spoiler but does not dip down on the ends. Its two pieces molded together and the wing stands are molded it. No makers mark or part number. Its not the look-a-like "JC Whitney" spoiler, and the wing stand spacing is further apart, more close to the Firebird. Because the wing spacing is wider, I don't think it was made for a Fiero, but I can't find any pics of a Firebird with it either. Any one seen it before?

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 07-04-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2016 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Thunderbird and GTO once had a very similar spoiler.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2016 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I am pretty sure it is not an OE wing.

There were so many wings in the 80's in the aftermarket it is hard to tell what one it is. I would say it is just one of the many offered but I do not recall any factory wing like this.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new pics. I've spent a few hours looking over pics of other cars of the 80's-90's that had spoilers. No luck. I cleaned it up and did some measuring, and found out that the spacing for the stands is the exact same as the mid 80's Firebird. So if you put this in place of the Firebird spoiler, it would fit fine. I'm thinking its some kind of 3rd Gen F body wing. When placed next to the stock Fiero and Firebird wing you can see that its more of a "whaletail" design than the others. It has that same "cup" design and the ends don't turn down. Anyway, here are some more pics.

Rob
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are your plans for it? Think it would look great on a fastback.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure. I've got a few other "odd" parts, so for now I'm going to hold on to it. But I do agree, it would look cool on a fastback. I have an extra fastback hood, maybe I'll give it a try.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This altered image may not show what I'm suggesting very well, but if the mount could be modified/cut back to allow the wing to sit further rearward and actually stick out past the back of the decklid... I think it might look rather good on a Fiero.

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
probably could install it with a set of those stealth mounts that someone sells here. You could put them all the way back and then get the 2-3" of offset to add even more. I may look into it.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 07-04-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2016 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

probably could install it with a set of those stealth mounts that someone sells here.

Yeah, I was thinking of those stealth mounts as well... but as a typical Fiero owner I was trying to figure out a way to move the spoiler rearwards without the added expense.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey qwikgta, that's actually the type of spoiler I had in mind when I modded my Fiero spoiler. I'd love to be able to pull a mold off that.

Patrick, all you have to do is learn how to mold fiberglass and you can make your own custom wing stands.

hehe
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Patrick, all you have to do is learn how to mold fiberglass and you can make your own custom wing stands.

Fiberglass/body-work/painting are tasks I've never done myself to any of my cars over the decades. I think I'm getting too old to learn new skillz.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blacktree, nice work. Love the look. It works well because of the mods to the rear decklid/lights.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock