Barn Find, new to fieros *pics by George2M6
Started on: 06-25-2016 12:21 AM
Replies: 16 (675 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 06-30-2016 07:27 PM
George2M6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for George2M6Send a Private Message to George2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New to the forum and Fieros in general for that matter. This is my new project, an 86 2.8 auto car, original owner said the engine was shot and started disassembling it and lost interest. So, as far as the engine goes its been sitting partially torn apart puzzle for years. I've been looking around the forum and gathering info so far and I'm learning quite a bit. Also if anyone has or knows someone with a replacement engine reasonably priced within driving distance of me i sure would appricate the help, having trouble finding a fwd 2.8, i have found a couple s10 engines but after searching on here, I believe they are somewhat different, if i got that wrong someone correct me. I really like these cars and thought she'd be worth saving, but anyway here are a few pictures as she sat. I'll continue to post pics as things get cleaned up and repaired. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.

[This message has been edited by George2M6 (edited 06-25-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome to PFF.

Glad to see you got PIP figured out to upload your images... but you've got to rotate them first!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to discourage you, but you have a long road ahead with that Fiero, to get it driveable. Did you check for rust as suggested on this forum?

The interior looks fairly nice.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! With the engine already known to be shot, it might be a good time for a swap. It looks like you should still have all the bits from the old motor to do a 3.4 PR swap with relative ease.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fierosails.com/PartsManual.html Here's a site that might be a lot of help.
George2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for George2M6Send a Private Message to George2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input guys, i'm sure i'll figure pip out after a try or two, I must have overlooked the rotate option haha and yeah I know is probably going to be quite the journey to get her on the road again but as far as rust goes it's very solid underneath and the body doesn't really have any at all, just very dusty seems it was kept pretty dry, the sail panels are cracked though but the interior isn't to bad aside from the torn drivers seat. I have kinda being thinking over the possibility of some kind of swap, the 3.4 seems to be a good option as far as difficulty goes. And thanks for that link looks like a lot of good info there.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by George2M6:

it's very solid underneath and the body doesn't really have any at all,

Careful here.... You do understand that the 'body' is all plastic.....no? And what you are looking for is not necessarily 'underneath'.

George2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George2M6Send a Private Message to George2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm... I see, after searching a few threads on here I know a little better what to look for, thanks. I did think to feel and check under the fender wells when it was lifted and I believe its ok there but i'm very curious now to see what kind of shape the trunk is in, I didn't realize that was an issue with our cars, I will defiantly give that a look this afternoon.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did think to feel and check under the fender wells when it was lifted and I believe its ok...

Ummm... the fender well tubs are also plastic. Hopefully you're not in for a rude awakening when you check the metal rear frame rails.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
George.... If you have the determination, you will find all the information and support you need on this forum. Go for it!

------------------
Paul

George2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George2M6Send a Private Message to George2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all the replies guys. R Runner thanks for the positivity, that's exactly what I plan to do. I defiantly am going to have to a much better examination of said problem areas though and i'll probably take some pictures of what I find.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Ummm... the fender well tubs are also plastic. Hopefully you're not in for a rude awakening when you check the metal rear frame rails.

True, but if you run your hand up the rear suspension you can at least feel some of the rail.
George2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George2M6Send a Private Message to George2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well good news guys, i kinda sorted out the loose parts that were in the trunk and pulled the trunk carpet out. Here is what i found, looks ok i think. Also, I didn't think to take pictures of it at the moment (will add later), but behind the plastic inner fenders look good too, just minor surface rust. I think i got luck this time!

I also was happy to see the tires held air, they are a little dry rotted but they'll due for now just to move it until i can get her running again. The wheels look like they might clean up ok, I sprayed some of the dust and grime off with a pressure washer while i had them off

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't think to take pictures of it at the moment (will add later), but behind the plastic inner fenders look good too, just minor surface rust. I think i got luck this time!

We're all hoping you've been lucky.

I should've posted this earlier, but here's a link to a thread of mine from several years ago. Take a boo... to make sure you've looked in the right area(s).

At what point does frame rail rust become dangerous to the integrity of a Fiero?

George2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2016 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George2M6Send a Private Message to George2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link Patrick, a lot of good information there.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and to Fieros!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard

You can check in anytime you like, But you can NEVER Leave !

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock