Battery relocation by Ryanap333
Started on: 06-20-2016 06:31 PM
Replies: 15 (1948 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 06-25-2016 10:40 PM
Ryanap333

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2016 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats everyone doing to mount the battery up front? Has anyone built a kit?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero has the product you are looking for! They are semi-notorious for taking awhile to ship, but they are a godsend for Fiero mods.

http://westcoastfiero.com/electrical/index.php

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ryanap333

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2016 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryanap333Send a Private Message to Ryanap333Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my mounts and axles from them. Its all good stuff. The axles did take a little while.
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too decided to relocate the battery to the front of the car. I just took some 1/8" aluminum and sheared it, formed it, TIG welded it and installed it underneath the right headlight. Real easy to do.

Note: I'm using the GT fascia. (This battery box will be hidden by this fascia). Non Aero cars might not be able to get away with this mod as the battery may interfere with the plastic.

Passenger side head lamp assembly.

After removal.

Cut the sheet metal and you're left with a hole.

Trim these two studs a little as they interfere with the battery box flange.

Now is a good time to paint the area since it's exposed.

Secure battery box with 1/4" hardware.

Despite not showing the battery in position, here you can see the clearance.

If I remove the curved steel from the bottom of the fascia, I can bolt that area to the battery box. (That should be a good indication of how low my battery box sits).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also mount the dyna batt battery under the passenger head light w/o cutting any of the chassis sheet metal, it fits the GT and notchback fascias, and is lighter. Mine has been installed for 3+ years w/o issue cranking over my LS4/F40 combo.

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I support the headlight idea. That's what I did. Although not as pretty.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V-8 Archie makes a fiberglass battery box that locates the battery under the spare tire, directly above the center of the front cross member.
The mass of the battery is low and centered, well protected from collision and curb damage and is non conductive.
I've used them several times and consider Archie's product to be the best option for relocation of the battery.
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a spare new box never used

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

You can also mount the dyna batt battery under the passenger head light w/o cutting any of the chassis sheet metal, it fits the GT and notchback fascias, and is lighter. Mine has been installed for 3+ years w/o issue cranking over my LS4/F40 combo.

Cool, any particular model number or store, etc?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2016 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2016 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I got

Have a spare one

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Summit Racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-5575a

I don't know a lot about batteries, is 16 ah enough for normal car use? I think more common car batteries are more like 30 ah?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2016 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
I don't know a lot about batteries, is 16 ah enough for normal car use? I think more common car batteries are more like 30 ah?

It ultimately is a personal decision...

I have been using it for 3 years, driven the car nearly 30K miles (3 season daily driver), the car is parked outside every winter with everything hooked up and w/o a battery tender, in the spring I turn the key and it fires right up. So for me, it works like any other battery I have ever had, but is smaller, lighter, and fits in an out of the way position.

Now if I left the lights on, or used accessory power an excessive amount with the engine off... then yes, the battery would run down and potentially need a jump start sooner than a larger battery would.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2016 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2016 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It ultimately is a personal decision...

I have been using it for 3 years, driven the car nearly 30K miles (3 season daily driver), the car is parked outside every winter with everything hooked up and w/o a battery tender, in the spring I turn the key and it fires right up. So for me, it works like any other battery I have ever had, but is smaller, lighter, and fits in an out of the way position.

Now if I left the lights on, or used accessory power an excessive amount with the engine off... then yes, the battery would run down and potentially need a jump start sooner than a larger battery would.

I use the DYNA-BATT batteries and fieroguru summed it up perfectly!

They fit nicely in the trunk as well.

Then in the stock battery position, put in this remote Kill-Switch:

Give you a key chain remote that allows you to remotely turn on & off your battery.
The best part about this kit...it has a separate hot wire that you feed back to your the memory wire of your radio...so you don't loose your time and any of your settings

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-23-2016).]

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2016 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Norm's Fiberglass makes a kit or used to. Both my Fiero's have the front mount battery.
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock