Functional side scoops by Napoleon_Tanerite
Started on: 06-11-2016 05:37 PM
Replies: 9 (695 views)
Last post by: George P Wood on 06-21-2016 10:24 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a set of side scoops from Fiero Fiberglass. Obviously the left one feeds the engine air intake, but has anyone done anything with the right side one to make it more functional? I have two ideas.

1. Get another set of intake plumbing, or really just a pipe (air filter is probably unnecessary) and make a fresh air duct that flows into the engine bay for cooling. A small computer fan or something could be put in there on a temp switch as well. I'm planning on moving my battery to the front once I swap in my 3800SC, so this could feed air to the coil packs and PCM located in the former battery location.

2. Is there an intercooler heat exchanger that could fit in that area? I've seen guys run plumbing all the way to the front and back for the intercooler, but what about something on the side?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2016 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan to put an oil cooler on the passenger side of my car.

A heat exchanger for intercooler should work fine, as long as you keep it small enough.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm hopeful to get V8 Archie's rockers with scoops. Had debated red or amber LED strips hidden within them, tied into the turn signals and an alternate color to a toggle switch. Not exactly functional, but the turn signal idea can improve safety. Tough call to say it's legal though. Most officials are bound to feel otherwise.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2016 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is in storage since I moved so I can't take pictures but the drivers side intake is the dual intake in the photo. Half is the intake and the other half is brake cooling. The single unit in the photo is the passenger side just for brake cooling.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Car is in storage since I moved so I can't take pictures but the drivers side intake is the dual intake in the photo. Half is the intake and the other half is brake cooling. The single unit in the photo is the passenger side just for brake cooling.

where did you find those at and how much modding if any was required
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireboss:

where did you find those at and how much modding if any was required

Keep in mind that my car is a widebody so the intake areas are angled outward so air is truly forced into the openings. If you use these for brake cooling on a stock quarter panel, I don't know how well they would work. Here is the link for the ducts:
https://www.pegasusautoraci...asp?GroupID=DUCTBUMP

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-12-2016).]

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2016 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut out a big vent in my drivers side quarter panel. And have my Trans cooler mounted on an angle. Have no idea how it will work. I'm assuming it should be mint!
tampalinc

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tampalincSend a Private Message to tampalincEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car: 3800 turbo
Drivers side I have the air intake. Engine compartment and bottom of the panel is sealed off so the intake only gets fresh air coming in the scoop.
Passenger side I have an oil cooler with fan and temp sensor I will be putting in. I also plan on sealing it off so it only gets fresh air from the scoop.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the open IMSA scoops- the ones that fit the curve of the wheel well; I made aluminum boxes with two holes on each side- The left upper is for the intake- the lower holes on each side are for brake ducts.....The upper right hole is going to be hooked up to a modified trunk blower with the air routed along the firewall(Forward engine compartment wall) and aimed at the ignition...I used some of the hex-cell grating from the base car engine grills to cover the openings in the scoops. I have pics somewhere- They may be on my dead laptop.....
George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an auto transmission oil cooler on the right side. Besides being mounted in the scoop it also has a fan.
B&M unit if I remember correctly. Works great.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock