Very Weird Problem! by ICCAMDFIERO
Started on: 05-30-2016 05:16 PM
Replies: 19 (422 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 05-31-2016 08:23 PM
ICCAMDFIERO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally thought my car was ready for its maiden voyage, boy was I wrong. My brake lights and turn signals would not work. My third brake light works, as do my daytime running lights and head lights. As I was trying to diagnose the issue, I flipped my turn signal to the left turn signal position and it powered up my whole interior with the key in the off position! I have no power going to the c500 connector at any of the pins shown to be used for "turn/stop". The left turn arrow on the dash is fully illuminated, and there is continuity from the purple wire at the flasher unit to the ignition wire on the c203 connector. I am assuming there is a short someplace. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something tells me a PO put a kill switch in the left turn signal. car won't start unless the left turn signal is on. Ran into that one a few times working at a corvette resto shop. But I could be wrong, it sounds like what I saw, how it was done I have no idea all I know is some of the high dollar cars had unusual kill switches in them. But in doing so in your case someone may have hacked the job. cut into other wires or maybe nicked one or more.

But then it could be anything, wait for a few more people to post.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-30-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daytime running lights? How much of your electrical system is stock?
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cars been completely gutted and redone. There's no kill switch. Just looking for ideas as to possibilities where it could have shorted from some of the pros and experienced. I'm not sure if the turn signal lever itself could cause this, or anything else?

By daytime running lights I mean front turn signals and tail lights if you flip half the light switch. But it is a 3800sc car. And not very stock, but the interior harness isnt to modified. Ive narrowed it down to somewhere inbetween the flasher module and the c203. But theres still a lot to figure out. Was planning on washing it and posting a thread to thank A LOT of people who have helped create my masterpiece, but instead I'm trying to solve some bugs. That'll come soon though.

Thanks for the input!
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICCAMDFIERO

308 posts
Member since Sep 2009
I'm also finding that the blue wire at the flasher module and the blue wire at the ignition fuse have continuity, and the purple wire at the flasher module and the pink wire at the ignition fuse have continuity. Though the blue and pink have no continuity and the purple and blue don't either. I would thing they would all have continuity??
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen some pretty weird things occur just from a short within a light bulb.

Easy to check... you might get lucky!
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have also found that the blue wire at the flasher module and the blue wire at the ignition fuse have continuity, and the purple wire at the flasher module and the blue wire at the ignition fuse have continuity. Though the blue and pink wires have no continuity and the purple and blue wires don't either. I would think if it was shorted they would all have continuity to each other??
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICCAMDFIERO

308 posts
Member since Sep 2009
I have also found that the blue wire at the flasher module and the blue wire at the ignition fuse have continuity, and the purple wire at the flasher module and the blue wire at the ignition fuse have continuity. Though the blue and pink wires have no continuity and the purple and blue wires don't either. I would think if it was shorted they would all have continuity to each other??
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICCAMDFIERO

308 posts
Member since Sep 2009
Purple wire at flasher module has continuity with pin A,B,F,L,K,J at the c203 conectors the blue wire at the flasher module has no continuitycontinuity at any pin.

Sorry for the loads of potentially useless information. Just trying to give as much info as possible to help eliminate or point out potential issues
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICCAMDFIERO

308 posts
Member since Sep 2009
Purple wire at flasher module has continuity with pin A,B,F,L,K,J at the c203 conectors the blue wire at the flasher module has no continuitycontinuity at any pin.

Sorry for the loads of potentially useless information. Just trying to give as much info as possible to help eliminate or point out potential issues
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can turn on the headlights and the doors raise, do they go back down when you turn off the headlight switch or stay up?
PFF
System Bot
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That I can not tell you. I don't have flip up headlights. Is there a way I could test what you are looking for with a multimeter?
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICCAMDFIERO

308 posts
Member since Sep 2009
I'm thinking the purple wire going tothe flasher module is shorting to the ignition feed? I just don't get why it only triggers when pushing the lever to the left signal position though?

Anyone know where the purple wire goes to from the flasher module? If I cut that wire out and ready ran it do you think it would resolve the issue?

Any ideas are appreciated!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the 20 amp taillight fuse labeled "tail" in the fusebox and see if it is good. It controls a variety of lights.
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input IMSA!

The 20 amp fuse is good and has power. Just triple checked. Is there a separate fuse for brake/turn signal that differs from the running lights or a relay I may be missing?
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ICCAMDFIERO

308 posts
Member since Sep 2009
Thank you Patrick! I missed your response somehow. Then figured it wouldn't hurt to check. In my frustration of my tail lights not working I put a single filament light in the left front socket! My car no longer does the crazy ignition on symptoms when I turn on the left signal. Though the left signal on the dash does still half illuminate and I still have no brake lights or turn signals.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The same thing happened to me when i changed the bulbs on the centre GT Pontiac lights with some LEDs bulbs the bulbs actually didn't work but the symptoms before i changed them back were the same.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 05-31-2016).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ICCAMDFIERO:

Cars been completely gutted and redone. There's no kill switch. Just looking for ideas as to possibilities where it could have shorted from some of the pros and experienced. I'm not sure if the turn signal lever itself could cause this, or anything else?

By daytime running lights I mean front turn signals and tail lights if you flip half the light switch. But it is a 3800sc car. And not very stock, but the interior harness isnt to modified. Ive narrowed it down to somewhere inbetween the flasher module and the c203. But theres still a lot to figure out. Was planning on washing it and posting a thread to thank A LOT of people who have helped create my masterpiece, but instead I'm trying to solve some bugs. That'll come soon though.

Thanks for the input!

Did you pull the steering wheel and check all the wires inside there? because even if you think you are an electrician you haven't looked at all the wiring. The wires going down the column could have been damaged somehow, PO or shade tree mechanic or even just you. I hate electrical problems,

"I would rather pound my balls flat with a sledge hammer than hunt down an electrical problem "

But it sure sounds like your problem is in the turn signal or some of the wires going down the inside of the steering column. Someone may have used a old style test light and pushed the needle end threw the insulation and not repairing that hole before putting everything back together. That is all it could be, that bare wire touching a metal part anywhere inside the column, or even just a defective turn signal switch or ignition switch at the bottom of the column.

Thanks for the input!

Those are called parking lights, are you a student? because that is what they have been called for as long as I can remember. It even has a big P on the switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hea...AOSw~gRVlS~T&vxp=mtr

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-31-2016).]

ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im in the process of pulling everything apart. I have the center console out, and pulled the cover from under the column. So far all the wiring looks good. I will pull the column and wheel of I have to.

Was thinking the issue could possibly be in the "blinker switch assembly"
http://m.ebay.com/itm/PONTI...040132803?nav=SEARCH

I'll have to see if I can find a diagram to test the plug, because it's easily accessible.

I couldn't agree with you more Steve. I don't mind diagnosing minor electricall circuits, but anything with a lot of switches and modules are very unenjoyable! My bad on "parking" lights, I've always just referred to them as running lights. I blame it on the "P" being worn of my switch.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2016 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im in the process of pulling everything apart. I have the center console out, and pulled the cover from under the column. So far all the wiring looks good. I will pull the column and wheel of I have to.

Was thinking the issue could possibly be in the "blinker switch assembly"
http://m.ebay.com/itm/PONTI...040132803?nav=SEARCH

I'll have to see if I can find a diagram to test the plug, because it's easily accessible.

I couldn't agree with you more Steve. I don't mind diagnosing minor electricall circuits, but anything with a lot of switches and modules are very unenjoyable! My bad on "parking" lights, I've always just referred to them as running lights. I blame it on the "P" being worn of my switch.

Could be, but I would call NAPA first and see if they still carry them, I forget, Memory is shot but I think about 5 years ago I got one there for my 86 SE and I thought it was around 20 bucks for the brand new one. Call all the parts stores and dealers local to you, you might be pleasantly surprised. Or you may not, but a phone call costs nothing.

The guys at all the local parts stores know me, because my parts running car is my 86 so they see it and me buying parts for the dam things. I think the car is following my lead, dying one peace at a time from the inside out.

Good luck

Steve

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock