Kids take Fiero to the Prom... by a_bartle
Started on: 05-20-2016 08:55 AM
Replies: 10 (519 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 05-25-2016 01:34 AM
a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my son has been bugging me for a long time now, asking me if he can take one of my Fiero's to his prom. For some crazy reason I agreed, lol, he's proven to be pretty responsible, but I still worry since it's not like driving a "normal" car (no power steering, low to the ground, less responsive brakes, etc.). He was seeing a girl who he'd planned on taking, however, he found out she was dating another guy behind his back. So late in the game he decided to ask his younger sister to go, so both of my kids went together.

This event went down last Saturday, and I was getting the car out from its “winter nap” that day, checking everything (fluids, tire air pressure, etc, etc) and found out one of the headlights was not “opening” very well (working, but weakly). So the kids were going to be there in about an hour (taking pre-prom photos), and I’ve got the hood open tearing apart/removing the electric motor assembly (luckily I had a spare) trying to get it finished before they had to leave. I made it, and when they arrived the car was sitting in the garage (was raining off and on) looking peaceful and ready to go, like nothing had happened… you’d never know there was working being done "feverishly" only a little while earlier. Hopefully taking the Fiero will add a fond memory to the event, I'm sure more for my son than my daughter, but who knows. Overall they had a good time hanging with their friends, and I don't think anyone cared that "brother & sister" went together (they both have their "tight knit" group of friends).

[This message has been edited by a_bartle (edited 05-20-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least you wont have to worry about too much "After prom" activities going on in the Fiero.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool...thanks for sharing!

We are definitely a Fiero family, so I appreciate a story of a son or daughter that want to use the Fiero.
I have a few Fieros, my Wife drives an 88GT 5speed, My oldest Daughter drives an a modified 87GT 5Speed, and my Son is about to get an 88 Formula 5Speed with T-Tops...a barn find for only $500....SCORE!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXOPIE

2734 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by busa_powered:

At least you wont have to worry about too much "After prom" activities going on in the Fiero.

LMAO...RIGHT!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool that they want to drive it
a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about "activities" after the prom too, lol, and they were home by 11:30. It's funny about that age group, because they don't know anything about the Fiero, or hardly Pontiac for that matter (my kids know because I have a Torrent for my daily driver (besides having the Fieros...), and before that I had an Olds Intrigue, so they "know" about Oldsmobile too...) so his friends think the Fiero is very "exotic", like its a Lamborghini or something, lol. The important thing is, if the kids are also "enjoying" the old cars, then more power to them, and I'm happy to share that passion with them and create some cool memories. Whenever they agree to, I take them along to car shows as well, but the problem is they get bored and it becomes a long day for them (and me, lol). I've found the best thing is taking them to the smaller car shows (like the local A&W Wednesday evening show), in where we'll also go out to eat afterwards as a "package" event... then they are all for it!

[This message has been edited by a_bartle (edited 05-20-2016).]

alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's funny, my son took my Fiero to his prom last week, even though he has a really cool 87 el camino. He never really has shown interest in the Fieros (we have 3), so it made me feel good.

And the best part, there were no new scratches or dents when he returned!
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spent weeks getting my 87 GT perfect in time for last weekend. I was going to surprise my son and let him take the Fiero to prom. He ended up having a fight with his girlfriend and didn't go......

I remember when I was in school - that was one of the times kids showed up in really cool cars they borrowed from dad, uncle, older brother, friend, etc. I was looking forward to letting him have it for the night.

And no back seat to worry about.....
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by a_bartle:

So my son has been bugging me for a long time now, asking me if he can take one of my Fiero's to his prom.

Nice looking kids... but your son looks to be about 30 years of age!

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2016 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by a_bartle:

Yes, I'm glad I didn't have to worry about "activities" after the prom too, lol, and they were home by 11:30. It's funny about that age group, because they don't know anything about the Fiero, or hardly Pontiac for that matter (my kids know because I have a Torrent for my daily driver (besides having the Fieros...), and before that I had an Olds Intrigue, so they "know" about Oldsmobile too...) so his friends think the Fiero is very "exotic", like its a Lamborghini or something, lol. The important thing is, if the kids are also "enjoying" the old cars, then more power to them, and I'm happy to share that passion with them and create some cool memories. Whenever they agree to, I take them along to car shows as well, but the problem is they get bored and it becomes a long day for them (and me, lol). I've found the best thing is taking them to the smaller car shows (like the local A&W Wednesday evening show), in where we'll also go out to eat afterwards as a "package" event... then they are all for it!

Don't buy a Chevy!!! it appears like everything you buy dies like has happened to my Buddy.

He has a Olds, Then he bought a couple Pontiac's and now has a SAAB. I told him others would pay him to stay away.

I have noticed the younger kids to seem puzzled with the Fiero. They see it as a Grand Turismo like car. It is nice they do not have preconceived ideas about them but it is sad so many kids just are not interested in cars anymore unless they are in a video game.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have noticed the younger kids to seem puzzled with the Fiero. They see it as a Grand Turismo like car. It is nice they do not have preconceived ideas about them but it is sad so many kids just are not interested in cars anymore unless they are in a video game.

I can't tell you how many people my age (mid 20s) are shocked the engine is in the back. Always proceeded by "Then what's in the front??" I have had my Fiero since high school and many people late teens up to about 30, are puzzled/fascinated with the car, but the older guys around my dad's age always try to give me "words of wisdom" about how the car is horrible and going to burn haha. The Fiero is one of those cars that seems to spark conversation a lot.

I also took my Fiero to the prom back in Highschool, I think it got more pictures than my girlfriend lol
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock