Started on: 05-15-2016 01:53 PM
Replies: 10 (507 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 06-19-2016 08:31 PM
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am preparing for the HRPT in a few weeks and one of the items I wanted to address is some method to hold my cell phone while I use google maps. It needed to be readily visible, but not in the way of accessing the HVAC controls, radio, or vent flow. I also didn't want to drill any holes in the plastic surrounds... so I ended up taking some 16ga metal and wrapping it around the aux gauge pod and welding it to the metal support bracket underneath.

I might cut the bracket back off for the cell phone and weld a shaft collar and stub shaft to the two parts. This would make the upper section removable and I could rotate it to point more directly towards the driver.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might also consider snaking a micro usb cord through for charging...without the dangling cord...but very cool!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad!!! One recommendation is since phones seem to be upgraded/changed once every two/three years nowadays, having to weld in a completely new bracket every time you change phones could be a hastle; leaving the bracket flat without the bends to secure the phone and using a securing a magnetic style mount like this would be a good idea in the future?

I love seeing what people engineer... Too awesome!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question.
Does the bracket interfer with the GPS signal reception?
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice...
I'm trying to find something to hold an iPad mini for the same purpose.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:
Question.
Does the bracket interfer with the GPS signal reception?
Likely could... Depending phone and area used could be minimal or a big problem. Worse if bracket is grounded to the car. Can cause problems for normal phone operations too.

Other real example is "Antenna Gate" for Apple iPhones.... Humans can block cell, Bluetooth, and GPS when owners don't hold the phone "properly."

Likely can cut off a big chunk of metal over back of phone.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. These Scosche work well in a pinch too.

https://www.google.com/sear...rc=c7a0jcrcR6lLTM%3A
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some more tweaking to the holder. I opened up most of the backside of the cell holder, added a shaft collar and stud so the top portion is removable and can be rotated, and angled the edges and rounded the corners of the wrapped base.

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I painted both parts, then installed the phone in the holder and took it for a drive in the truck. GPS works with the phone in the holder. I then parked and compared the network signal strength between the phone out of the holder and installed. No difference.

I am pretty much finished with this project until I finish a few other ones while the dash it out.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2016 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used this cell phone holder on the HRPT. It works and is easy to read, but with the sun beating down on the cell phone with the display on and battery charging, it over heats and starts shutting programs off to help it cool down.

I really like the location, but will likely add a 2nd mounting location off my laptop stand that will place the phone directly in front of an AC vent. When the phone would get too hot, I would hold it in front of the AC vent to quickly cool it down, so with the AC constantly blowing on it, I don't think it will overheat.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock