Started on: 05-06-2016 08:41 PM
Replies: 22 (1153 views)
Last post by: Dsanchez214 on 08-20-2021 05:17 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there are sill plates out there for the Fiero but I wanted something a little less flashy than mirror, so I came up with this textured ABS plastic one.
Monday when I get my pantograph I will play around with carving Fiero GT on it with some flutes that run parallel that I can lay some paint in the letters and flutes which match the color of the car.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those!! Question though, for those of us that have cracked rocker sills, could it be extended a little to cover the cracks? And the matching lettering would be awesome!!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You mean extended out toward the outer edge?
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks good.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

....................I will play around with carving Fiero GT on it with some flutes that run parallel that I can lay some paint in the letters and flutes which match the color of the car.

If the actual door sill is in good enough condition, you could have your machine completely remove the areas for the flutes and logo and let the original sill color show through. It would save you some headache because paint has a hard time adhering to ABS and if you sell these, the last thing you want are people complaining about the paint flaking off. If their existing door sill has scratched paint, they can simply use a spray can touch up paint in the areas of the cutouts and then apply your sill plate over the top.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-08-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

If the actual door sill is in good enough condition, you could have your machine completely remove the areas for the flutes and logo and let the original sill color show through.

I tried that but it leaves the plastic too flimsy. I`m sure a lot of people`s rockers are like mine, they aren`t perfectly flat so with the flutes cut all the way through the middle kind of pushes up. I think the flute and the lettering cut very shallow, filled in with paint will almost be flush with the rest of the surface and look pretty good.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to use an etching primer on that plastic and clean it VERY good before painting.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Make sure to use an etching primer on that plastic and clean it VERY good before painting.

Thanks, will do.
I think the place I get my paint from has a plastic primer in aerosol.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-08-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006

If the actual door sill is in good enough condition, you could have your machine completely remove the areas for the flutes and logo and let the original sill color show through. It would save you some headache because paint has a hard time adhering to ABS and if you sell these, the last thing you want are people complaining about the paint flaking off. If their existing door sill has scratched paint, they can simply use a spray can touch up paint in the areas of the cutouts and then apply your sill plate over the top.

I will probably just sell these and let people paint them whatever color they want.
I was playing around today and what I have found works the best is just tape the whole piece and then take a razor knife and carve out the letters and flutes.
Then just spray it.
When you remove the tape it looks really good.
I don`t think flaking will be much of a problem because since it`s recessed the paint seems to stay down in there pretty well.
My next big challenge is cutting out the patterns for using the pantograph so I don`t have to follow the pattern free-hand every time.
I may check into getting a few graphics cut with a CNC.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-08-2016).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I almost have my pantograph set up.
I cut this one and painted it rather quickly just to see how it would look.
I cut the F too deep so I didn`t paint it.
When I get it set up to do on the sill plate I will route it better and take more time to paint it.

PFF
System Bot
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
warming up brain pan and PayPal
Steepdiver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2016 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteepdiverSend a Private Message to SteepdiverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like these... thought I think I would want it to say "Formula". How much you think they'll go for?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I`m not sure.
I`m going to try a new method of taping and routing that will make it much easier to paint.
I will be able to produce different patterns but I`m not sure at this point whether I will charge extra for that.
I would imagine that "FORMULA" is something I would use more than once so it would not really be specialized.
Steepdiver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteepdiverSend a Private Message to SteepdiverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like these... thought I think I would want it to say "Formula". How much you think they'll go for?
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you do one for a IMSA DGP widebody?
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2016 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad GT:

Could you do one for a IMSA DGP widebody?

I would need to know the size of the part of the rockers that goes there unless it`s the same size as stock.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2016 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to cut the letters all the way through because its a lot easier to paint aluminum flashing the same color as the car and glue it underneath the plate
with it showing through.
This one I just left raw.
I have not decided if I`m going to add flutes yet.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I would need to know the size of the part of the rockers that goes there unless it`s the same size as stock.

For mine and I need Quad to chime in, they are about 6-1/8 inches wide starting from the metal strip that holds the weatherstrip molding out to the outer edge of the sill. The lower panels on the IMSA's door extend past the sill plates so your plates can be as wide as you like.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2016 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks a lot better than the painted one. Nice job.
Quad GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For mine and I need Quad to chime in, they are about 6-1/8 inches wide starting from the metal strip that holds the weatherstrip molding out to the outer edge of the sill. The lower panels on the IMSA's door extend past the sill plates so your plates can be as wide as you like.

Agree
Will post some pictures if you like.

PFF
System Bot
wilberto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2021 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wilbertoSend a Private Message to wilbertoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
Dsanchez214

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dsanchez214Send a Private Message to Dsanchez214Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You selling them any time soon?

If so pm info and paypal.

Dsanchez

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock