Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I found my first car on craigslist today (1986 SE 2M6)! There's only one problem...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
I found my first car on craigslist today (1986 SE 2M6)! There's only one problem... by Fisher_White
Started on: 05-06-2016 07:04 PM
Replies: 14 (744 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-17-2016 01:20 AM
Fisher_White

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher_WhiteSend a Private Message to Fisher_WhiteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, long time lurker around here.

Back in 2012, my dad and I flew to Chicago and purchased my first car- a 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2M6 with auto trans. Although I didn't choose the car myself, I grew to like the car a lot- and I don't like many GM products! Last summer, my dad decided to sell the car (I wanted to keep it, but it wasn't my decision). Fast forward to today: I decided to browse Fiero listings on Craigslist to find average prices for someone who wanted to buy one to restore when I came across an ad for a Red 1986 notchback.

"Huh, that looks an awful lot like the one I had"

Clicked the ad, and what do you know? It has the same tear in the seat, the same battery I installed, and the same original tires that mine had. The matching license plate, odometer showing about 600 more miles than mine had, and a map showing that it was in the same small town of 10k residents confirmed that it was in fact the same car. Based on the images, it doesn't look like he has actually done any work to it, although mine didn't really need much work anyways.

I promptly texted the seller and explained my story (big mistake) and how I wanted to buy the car. His response:

"I'm sorry to tell you this but I was seeing how much ppl would offer for it... highest offer was 5500"

Yeah right. He then got a bit personal. 40 minutes later, he then sent this:

"To tell you the truth only a eclipse or 350z would have got it"

Out of context this might not mean much, but it should be noted that my sister owned a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse (my dad gave it to my aunt), and my dad owns a 2005 Nissan 350z roadster which I am currently borrowing. This guy basically just wanted to let me know that he knows exactly who me and my family are.

How do I respond to that? I texted the guy telling him that I wanted to buy the car only to get told that it was going to cost a pretty penny... and then got a bit stalker-ish- that last sentence was no coincidence (especially considering how little an older eclipse is worth compared to a 350z)

I want to get the car back, and was even going to make a very reasonable offer, but I honestly have no idea how to reply to that. Any ideas?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fisher_White:

I promptly texted the seller and explained my story (big mistake) and how I wanted to buy the car.

My honest opinion... let it go. Seriously. The guy figures he's now got you by the scrotum. Walk away. When he wants to sell it bad enough, he'll contact you. And that's when you can offer several hundred dollars less than you were going to originally.

Also keep in mind that an '86 Fiero SE 2M6 with an automatic is not all that sought after. Don't let sentimentality destroy your better judgement... any more than it already has!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-06-2016).]

Fisher_White

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher_WhiteSend a Private Message to Fisher_WhiteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree on it not being worth near as much as he is asking- I wouldn't pay $5,500 even if I could.

While price hunting I found a 1986 Fiero with the GT body, manual trans, good tires (the tires on mine are dryrot and not even safe to use on the highway) and only 9k more miles (66k vs 57k) for $3200. That is from a dealership too. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link but its in Houston CL.

I really felt that $2,500 would be a pretty reasonable offer (which I would gladly pay- this car does mean something to me after all), but he seems to think it's worth more than twice that.

Anyways, I haven't replied to him after sending my initial text message. What should I say back, if anything?

Thanks
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, welcome to the forum.

A bit odd he would still have your old tags, maybe old photos from when he bought it. I always take my plates off vehicles I've sold.
To many weirdos out there, hey, I've got car with someone's tags on it, let me go rob this bank, then pitch the tags, let the cops go
after the original owner

Since he knows you have an emotional attachment, he can try to lead you on. Play dumb, tell him you didn't understand his message.
Say just interested in the Fiero, how's 1800 ?. I doubt someone offered 5500. If he didn't take that offer, then he's the fool.
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fisher_White:

I really felt that $2,500 would be a pretty reasonable offer

I would be inclined to agree. I recently paid $2,200 for a rust free (not easy to find around here) '86 SE 2m6. If someone actually offered him $5,500 I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have the car anymore. I'm with Patrick on this one, walk away and he may contact you again once he realizes his made up price is a bit delusional.

I had an '88 coupe with the duke in high school and sold it in this area in the early 2000's and thought about tracking it down as last I heard it was still around here somewhere. Then I remembered even though it would be cool for sentiment sake to redo my first Fiero I had when I was 16, I also remembered it was really rough when I sold it and I'm sure time hasn't been kind to it. I'd be better off finding a nicer specimen to start with. Perhaps your version of a nicer specimen will be something that's priced reasonably and the seller doesn't have you by the dangly bits.

[This message has been edited by Fiero 88 (edited 05-06-2016).]

Fisher_White

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher_WhiteSend a Private Message to Fisher_WhiteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm.. should I go ahead and shoot him an offer or just keep quiet until they (hopefully) send me another message?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd wait at least a week, and then maybe offer him $1500... conditional on an inspection of course. (You can't assume the car is in the same condition as when you owned it.)

However, you don't strike me as someone who's willing to cool their jets on this.

It's not clear why your dad appears to have been arbitrarily buying and selling your car, but it might be pertinent to this discussion to know how much your dad paid for it in 2012 and then how much he sold it for last year.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-09-2016).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'd wait at least a week, and then maybe offer him $1500... conditional on an inspection of course. (You can't assume the car is in the same condition as when you owned it.)

However, you don't strike me as someone who's willing to cool their jets on this.

... it might be pertinent to this discussion to know how much your dad paid for it in 2012 and then how much he sold it for last year.

I agree. Also, if you buy it from him, make sure you change plates, re-title, and keep it such that it can't be stolen.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 05-07-2016).]

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a week, have one of your friends make an offer for what you want to pay and see what he says. If agreeable, have friend buy for you (but don't tell the guy its for you). If he's still asking 5500, get the GT.

------------------
Pat Jones

[This message has been edited by 88FieroGT TTops (edited 05-07-2016).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would have to have some serious sentimental value to want to do business with this guy! I'd be looking for another car.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd tell the guy that I am not at all interested at that price and just end it. Make a final LOW offer and say "if you are interested just call me back but be quick about it as I am looking at several other cars". The car is not worth what he is asking and only a fool would pay that price. Quite frankly I don't see what the attachment is. Its just a material thing and there are many quality Fieros out there to buy. The smart buyer knows when to walk.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

Wait a week, have one of your friends make an offer for what you want to pay and see what he says. If agreeable, have friend buy for you (but don't tell the guy its for you). If he's still asking 5500, get the GT.

This was exactly what I was going to suggest. If nothing else you'd find out if he's trying to squeeze you very every penny.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2016 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
post his number and we can all text him with lowball offers, and yours will be the best he got!

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2016 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First rule of car buying! Never show you actually like the car . Anyways... Just play the game. Have your friends contact him giving him low ball offers, then go get a texting app. Or a burner, and call him again with your knew number. I'm sure if you met him in person he wouldn't recognize you. So for all he knows he keeps getting low offers, and this new kid "you" comes in, and offers a fair price. I doubt he will think your the same kid who used to own the car. Goodluck mate! I'm sorry for your misfortune. But it's kinda funny . for the record I wouldn't pay more than $1500.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So... I wonder what happened?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock