Started on: 04-25-2016 12:16 PM
Replies: 7 (186 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 04-25-2016 07:37 PM
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What software are people using here to do their 3D modeling of parts?

I use AutoCAD and MicroStation but was wondering if anyone is using Solidworks.

Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive copy of Solidworks? hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Let me know the Pros and Cons of the software you are using.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2016 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FreeCAD and Blender

If you want an "inexpensive" copy Solidworks, they have a Student Edition, and a military veteran discount program. Or maybe see if someone is selling a legal copy on craigslist or ebay, or similar. Otherwise just pay the $300 or $600 or whatever it is, for the standard version, if that's what you must have. Downloading an illegal copy off a torrent or from someone else, is likely to end up being infected with malware and will cause you more problems than it's worth, even if you don't realize the problems are there. And yes, I've seen it happen over and over again with people downloading illegal copies of Photoshop, Office, etc…
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks dobey.

I had briefly read their site and thought that the veteran discount only applied if I were to go back to school. In re-reading the information, as a veteran, I can purchase the software at student pricing but if I want to use it for professional or profitable work then I need to buy a normal license.

Student version is $150 and it is a fair price to learn and educate myself on the program.

SolidWorks is sold in three separate versions:
Premium ($7,995.00)
Professional ($5,490.00)
Standard ($3,995.00)
and add to that $1295.00 per year for tech service and support

For what I want to do those prices are out of my R&D pricing range.

I will look into the two programs you mentioned.

Thanks again.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-25-2016 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IwannaIRM:
For what I want to do those prices are out of my R&D pricing range.

I will look into the two programs you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Yeah, I didn't realize the basic version was that much more. Wow.

I would definitely recommend trying open source alternatives like the ones I mentioned, then. Blender isn't really a CAD program, but it is an amazing general 3D tool. I think there's some tools to convert designs in FreeCAD and/or Blender into gcode for machining, and such too.

I haven't really used them much yet, but these are the tools I'll be using to design/make products.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solidworks and Inventor. Autocad is more 2D based. Microstation is a monster of a software, more suited toward plant/factory design.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SCRebeck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCRebeckSend a Private Message to SCRebeckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use AutoCAD and Solidworks, but much prefer solidworks for modeling parts and such.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do all my 3D stuff in Solidworks 2004 and use LibreCAD for quick 2D stuff when I want to mill it on my CNC mill.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock