86 Prelude rear spoiler on a notchback? by Quad Raider
Started on: 04-13-2016 02:13 PM
Replies: 16 (588 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 04-16-2016 08:03 AM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was browsing at the salvage yard, aka the Happiest Place on Earth, over the weekend when I saw this '86 Prelude. I've always planned on using a factory wing on my notchback, if I ever get the world's slowest engine swap finished.

I did a search on this forum but didn't find any mention of anyone using this spoiler on a Fiero. I measured the deck lid and found it was almost exactly the same width as the Fiero's, 55 inches if I remember correctly.

I'm thinking about getting it and seeing how it would look on my '87. It's in such bad shape I could probably get it cheap.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
before anybody starts hating I say If its cheap ,get it and try it out
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I'm thinking about getting it and seeing how it would look on my '87.

It's difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks to me like you could make the back of the spoiler the top (the top then becomes the back) on a Fiero notchie... if you can follow what I'm saying.

I'm all for trying something different. I transplanted a spoiler from a '92 Chevy Lumina onto my notchie (shown Here). Of course it's not off a Honda , but I quite like it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-13-2016).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, that's exactly what I was thinking. Flip it over and make the bottom the top/front. The down side is it's spongy.

I've seen your Lumina spoiler and I think it looks great. I'm still not sure if I'm going to use any spoiler but I like having options.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The down side is it's spongy.

You mean it's not made of rigid material? That's weird.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I was surprised. I'll try to get back over there tomorrow or Friday to look at it more closely and/or buy it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2016 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll try to get back over there tomorrow or Friday to look at it more closely...

If it's all sort of bumpy and/or irregular, I don't think you'd want to bother with it. Looking forward to your report.

gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had one of those. It was a really nice driving car. Unfortunately, before I ever had a digital camera.
The spoiler is difficult if not impossible to repair. Mine had a crack right where that one does. Once it does that water gets into the sponge. It looked better in black, and I did like the flow at the rear. I could see something that hung back and flatish like that looking good on a fiero.
The sponge design was weird. I remember a few cars throught the years that had that stuff or something similar.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

Mine had a crack right where that one does.

That's probably where everyone (right-handed people anyway) grab the spoiler to slam the trunk closed.
rednotdead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

I had one of those. It was a really nice driving car. Unfortunately, before I ever had a digital camera.

How did it compare to your Fiero? People had always been telling me to pick up a Prelude instead, when they heard I was interested in Fiero's... have always wondered if I missed out on anything.

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went back to the salvage today and bought it. It's pretty far gone, but the yard only charged me 6 bucks for it. I flipped it over and set it on top of the deck lid for these photos.

I was surprised at how heavy it is. It's solid rubber or urethane or whatever, with a smooth vinyl-like covering. Reminds me of the Endura stuff Pontiac used on the late 60s-early 70s GTOs and Firebirds.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks on the Fiero when I get home tonight. This one has so much damage I can't use it as is, but it might be possible to cover it with fiberglass or maybe use it as a form.

I can also tell I need to clean the lens on my phone.
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010
I was thinking it might look cool to mount it on the Fiero in the same way it's mounted on the Prelude, but I don't think the Fiero deck lid is long enough there.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went back to the salvage today and bought it. It's pretty far gone, but the yard only charged me 6 bucks for it.

I was thinking it might look cool to mount it on the Fiero in the same way it's mounted on the Prelude, but I don't think the Fiero deck lid is long enough there.

Well, you've got the Prelude spoiler now... position it on the back of a notchie (both ways) and let's have a look!
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here we go. First up is the spoiler clipped to the Fiero in the same way it was attached to the Prelude. The mounting studs prevent it from fitting flush against the deck lid, but you get the idea.

Mounting it this way would allow the studs to pull the spoiler tight against the deck lid, making the deck lid's curvature a non-issue. On the other hand, it covers the lock and is about 3/4 of an inch too tall.

Next up is with the spoiler flipped over so it's backward from the way it was mounted on the Prelude.

The downside is it would be harder to make the spoiler match the curvature of the deck lid when viewed from above.

So, which way do you prefer? I think both positions look great. I'm amazed at how close to a perfect fit it is. The width is almost perfect, even the ends are pretty close to the right shape.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 04-15-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First up is the spoiler clipped to the Fiero in the same way it was attached to the Prelude. The mounting studs prevent it from fitting flush against the deck lid, but you get the idea.

Mounting it this way would allow the studs to pull the spoiler tight against the deck lid, making the deck lid's curvature a non-issue. On the other hand, it covers the lock and is about 3/4 of an inch too tall.

This might look good, but only IMO if there can be a smooth transition from the top of the decklid to the top of the spoiler. There certainly can't be a ridge sticking up where the spoiler is attached against the back of the decklid (which is where the arrows are indicating). A small portion of the back of the spoiler could be cut away to allow access to the lock.

It'll all be a moot point though unless this spoiler can be refinished to look a whole lot less wavy and bumpy.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On top looks best but mold whole thing and skim whole thing over in putty to make it straight. Lots of work but could pay off.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 04-16-2016).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2016 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really like this look. Now that I know what it looks like, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to carve a form out of polystyrene and cover it with fiberglass.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock