New 88 GT by Notalented
Started on: 03-22-2016 06:01 AM
Replies: 11 (498 views)
Last post by: Notalented on 03-30-2016 09:40 AM
Notalented

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got what is my second fiero, but it's what would be my dream project car. It turns out posting in the wanted section of craigslist can actually work even for something as odd as a fiero. What I got was the 88 GT with the getrag 5 speed to mount a 3800sc to with the hope of eventually transitioning to the f40 6 speed. Options wise it seems to be loaded with all the goodies to make it not seem as old as it is, power everything and a/c. This whole experience has worked out so well and the condition of the car is quite impeccable and was well maintained. (That is just a bit of moss on the bumpers)

I will be selling my old 86 notchie, but am going to finish up a couple things and let it move on to someone with time for it.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Notalented (edited 03-22-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No wing or sunroof, but congratulations. Oh, and welcome to PFF.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I prefer the clean look of no wing/no sunroof.

Welcome to the forums.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something wrong with the front bumper?
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I definately wasn't all about the sunroof, I think it detracts from theoverall look. As for the spoiler, I have mixed feelings about it.

The front passenger fender has a crack in it and the hood has some sun fade. The plastic or is it fiberglass at the windshield-roof line is deteriorated a little. For the price it was worth it. I'm sure I'll find more worth with it. I do plan on running it as is while I work on it and collect parts for a resto / upgrades.

At the moment it's turning over on starting fluid and dying. My guess it's the fuel pump or the rubber between the pick-up and pump.

[This message has been edited by Notalented (edited 03-22-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

How long did it sit? All the injectors could be stuck.
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2016 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

How long did it sit? All the injectors could be stuck.

From what I was "told" 2 - 3 years, but who knows. That's something I need to look at. It has a weak spark as well which I'm sure is contributing. In time that will need to be gone through as well.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2016 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Judging by the tires, it may sat longer than a couple of years. They haven't made Goodyear Eagle GT+4's in more than 20 years!

Anyway, assuming no rust issues, it looks like a nice base to start with. Good luck and have fun with it!
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to be snapping a few better pictures after giving it a thorough cleaning, hopefully over the weekend. It hasn't been on the road since 2001 but I was told it was running as of 2 - 3 years ago. The underneath of the car is very nice condition. It is clear the owner loved this car.
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is finally up and running strong, with some cooling issues....

It was a wiring issue to the fuel pump, a faulty wiring repair done to the car previously caused a brake in the grey wire running to the pump. While the tank was dropped decided to change out the strainer and pump, they had seem better days.

My current problem resides in the cars cooling. I'm going to start with thermistate. Both the radiator and thermistate cap don't want to budge.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those caps are a pain to remove--especially when the engine is hot. Once cooled, you can remove the thermostat housing to see what's what.

As with any car that's been sitting, it should get its fluids flushed. The coolant may have a leak, the thermostat could be stuck, there could be air in the system, the coolant pipes could be crimped, etc.
PFF
System Bot
Notalented

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotalentedSend a Private Message to NotalentedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One step foward: Two steps back....

I was able to find the source of the coolant leak and seems to be the heater core. I believe the coolate is leaking out a hole ment to release the a/c condensation.

As of last night the car wouldn't start again and believe I may have a faulty fuel pump relay. I plan on switch the fuel pump and a/c relays to see if that solves that issue and get one ordered.

I don't have pictures of them but their are two orange wires near the battery that are outside wiring harness. What do these wires control / go to?

[This message has been edited by Notalented (edited 03-30-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock