Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Trouble getting to the forum. Anyone else? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Trouble getting to the forum. Anyone else? by Raydar
Started on: 03-19-2016 09:51 AM
Replies: 63 (771 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-15-2016 01:57 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seemed to start yesterday, sometime.

Page timeouts and "not responding".
Pings and tracert seem to work okay.
Cleared DNS resolver cache with no change.

Other websites seem to work okay.

Anyone else having issues?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-19-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always found PFF to be slow, compared to other sites. I often have to reload pages. I am getting timeouts. I tried through 2 ISPs on different devices.

It's sortof hit and miss.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-19-2016).]

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup. verrrrry slowwwww.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same here and about the same time.

I have to keep closing it out and going back a little later.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got in it a while ago, and while reading through posts the forum stopped. I left the forum and tried to go back in but it wouldn't load. Restarted the computer and made three more tries to get in before I gave up. I just tried now and got right in.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Issue seems to come and go quite frequently.

Seems alright right now.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was having the same issue last night.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently, there are database rebuilds in progress,
Jungle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JungleSend a Private Message to JungleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Operates fine for me. The speed is good and it doesn't even log me out after a period of inactivity. If this were a car I would be willing to pay a little over Blue Book. It's a good site.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I've always found PFF to be slow...

Always?

Then there's something else going on with your configuration/connection/internet service, as PFF normally opens up very quickly for me every time it's accessed.

Having said that... I've been experiencing problems with PFF the last couple of days as well, but this is highly unusual.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF normally works, for me, about as well as any web page. And much better than some.
These past couple of days have been... different. Happened again just a few minutes ago.
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sadly, PFF has been under a DDoS attack since yesterday...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Hey everybody! We must be more important than we thought!!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lame.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No idea what they hope to gain.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No idea what they hope to gain.

Me neither...
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Always?

Then there's something else going on with your configuration/connection/internet service, as PFF normally opens up very quickly for me every time it's accessed.

Not necessarily. Techno-babble. Blah, blah.

If you test the download speed for a page on PFF, how many milliseconds does it take to load that page? Compare that to your Google Business email account.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-20-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got that...Patrick?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Greaaaaat. Sorry about that.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay......

Being I'm a low tech man in a high tech world, what's a "DDoS"?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Okay......

Being I'm a low tech man in a high tech world, what's a "DDoS"?

Distributed Denial-Of-Service: Form of electronic attack involving multiple computers, which send repeated HTTP requests or pings to a server to load it down and render it inaccessible for a period of time. Often used by freedom fighters on the Internet, usually attacking the systems of greedy corporations who want to sacrifice YOUR freedom for their profits.

Ha Ha!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-19-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
Distributed Denial-Of-Service: Form of electronic attack involving multiple computers, which send repeated HTTP requests or pings to a server to load it down and render it inaccessible for a period of time. Often used by freedom fighters on the Internet, usually attacking the systems of greedy corporations who want to sacrifice YOUR freedom for their profits.

Ha Ha!

Actually, it doesn't have to be HTTP or ICMP packets; it could be any open TCP port. There are many ways to deal with this. The problem is, for every method of prevention Cliff takes, there is a countering move that can be taken, unless the attacker(s) are ended.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ha Ha!

I couldn't agree more.

LMFAO!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody been kicked out of O/T recently?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

got that...Patrick?

Ummm... no.

I guess ignorance is bliss though, as my access to PFF is immediate 99.99% of the time.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anybody been kicked out of O/T recently?

Kicked out? Was there a boot that came through your screen? Or did it show something about database maintenance?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by Patrick:

Ummm... no.

I guess ignorance is bliss though, as my access to PFF is immediate 99.99% of the time.

Sorry, Patrick. I wasn't sure where your abilities were, but I thought I broke it down.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, Patrick. I wasn't sure where your abilities were, but I thought I broke it down.

I know a little about a lot of things. I'm definitely no internet expert. All I was implying is that I don't know how PFF can be criticized for being "slow" to load when there are obviously some of us who generally speaking never have a problem with it.

If you test the download speed for a page on PFF, how many milliseconds does it take to load that page?

If I've got to compare "milliseconds", then I don't see any real problem. The only time I've seen an issue with a thread opening is when a whole lot of YouTube videos are embedded in posts (usually occurs in O/T). Then yes, it can take quite awhile for the thread/page to completely load. But I don't know if that's a PFF or a YouTube issue.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-19-2016).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I doubt there is a 200Mb connection for the PFF servers--but I could be wrong. The only way for me to test wouldn't make Cliff happy, because of the load, and wouldn't be accurate, anyway. I could only say ”at least” xMb.

The page load speed tests always return milliseconds. Well, mine do, anyway. My point was that PFF is noticeably slower than other sites. Yes, some pages take a while to load, but it's easy to strip out the images. I think there's a text-only version of PFF, but not sure where it is.

”Immediately” is subjective. Milliseconds is objective.

I just had an evil thought concerning the DDoS people. Oh Cliff, do you know about reflected TCP traffic? Source-routed packets? Packet editing? I'm sure you have packet floods blocked, but you'll need to set up port mirroring and have some fun.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-20-2016).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The DDos attack is still going on but I've at least been able to make sure (for now) it doesn't bring the server down.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't you figure out who the asshat jackoff jerkwad perpetrator is then have him arrested? They do it on CSI:Cyber in 43 minutes....EVERY time.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Can't you figure out who the asshat jackoff jerkwad perpetrator is then have him arrested? They do it on CSI:Cyber in 43 minutes....EVERY time.

Hahahaha I wish
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

It doesn't work that way, in real life. Maybe 5 or so years ago, there were complaints about spam and the lack of effort by the authorities to stop it. They said they were working hard to stop it, but if we thought we could do better, to go ahead. That was in December. Within 2 months, 2 spammers were caught and arrested, due to the efforts of private individuals.

These 2 individuals were proud of what they'd done. It was ”fun” because they were ”bored”. Despite their guilt, they were let go and given monetary compensation for their brief incarceration. The excuse was that these 2 people were underprivileged. They used a different word, but that was the gist. These individuals paid for an ivy-league education out of their pocket money. The authorities have no current interest in stopping cyber-crime.

If your car is stolen, they don't take fingerprints or make any effort to catch the thief. In today's political climate, you're more likely to be arrested for reporting the theft.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If your car is stolen, they don't take fingerprints or make any effort to catch the thief. In today's political climate, you're more likely to be arrested for reporting the theft.

Where do you live?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
St. Louis
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If your car is stolen, they don't take fingerprints or make any effort to catch the thief.
In today's political climate, you're more likely to be arrested for reporting the theft.

I can see that. After all, Police would look at the owner as their first suspect! (for insurance fraud)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2016 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Police dont care about much crime, thats why theres so much of it. I had a trailer stolen once at midnite. They drug it off not being able to hitch it and no lights. Cops said they had 5 departments looking for it and didnt find any sign of it. From sparks and noise, they should would have seen or heard it for blocks. 2 days later, I myself found the ramps and other parts laying in the middle of a 4 lane street less than 1/2 mile away. Cars were swerving to avoid them. If they were looking, they must have been blindfolded...they were in plain view and if they run over them, theyd have torn up their cruiser.

On topic, I did notice yesterday morning I couldnt get in. Message said page could not be reached and timed out.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Police dont care about much crime, thats why theres so much of it. .

It makes you wonder WTF they think their job is...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-21-2016).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2016 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

It makes you wonder WTF they think their job is...

It gets back to priorities. Want more police coverage? Want more room in the prison? Then support those efforts when it comes up for a vote. Now that may mean your taxes will go up.

I lived in an area where my neighbor would complain about crime (well, encroachment from another city), but said he would never support a tax hike to hire more township officers. So... what do you do at that point? You have limited staff to cover a very large area and if crime increases, they will not be able to handle all the calls.

Where I live now, police coverage is good and crime is managed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock