alternator surging by jim94
Started on: 03-12-2016 05:46 PM
Replies: 15 (450 views)
Last post by: jim94 on 04-05-2016 12:55 AM
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my belt and adjusted it once after running the car for a few miles. Now my guage is surging at speed not at idle. Should I check for a loose connection? I did a water pump with a new belt, hoses. Put the car together took 2 rides to set timing a did not leak a drop anywhere. I washed the car , polished it and covered it for a week. Last night I took the cover off to go for gas. I get back from the gas station and my car is leaking like a siv. and the belt is loose..I adjust the belt and tighten 2 torks head bolts because when you put the car all together you cannot get to any of them because there is other parts in the way. It does not leak, no water in oil but now the alt is doing funny things. Any ideas. This car is really making my back hurt.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe coolant got on the belt and the belt is slipping? If it did get on the belt, anti-freeze does dry too fast.
Seeif the belt is wet
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Belt is nice and dry. The car's water pump after taking a ride this morning to Amelia island cars and coffee car show does not leak anymore. All the wires are on and tight.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jim94

1221 posts
Member since Jan 2010
Belt is nice and dry. The car's water pump after taking a ride this morning to Amelia island cars and coffee car show does not leak anymore. All the wires are on and tight.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the engine surge before you set the timing ? Did you jump the ALDL connector before you set the timing ? Is the distributer tight ? Maybe use a meter and check if your alternator is working properly and clean all connections and maybe wire brush your battery terminals if they are corroded.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2016 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guage looks fine at idle, steady at 15 but as the RPM range goes up the gauge starts to bounce. Friday night Iwent for gas and seen my guage was not charging like it should. I get home to find the belt loose and the bolts Iremoved to do the water pump loose and leaking. I adjusted the belt, tighten the torks head bolts. Started the car in the garage Ihad no leak. I went to tthe car show and the guage is bouncing from 15 up to the end. The guage has never done this. The car idles at 900 rpm, I know how to set idle. ?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94:

The guage looks fine at idle, steady at 15 but as the RPM range goes up the gauge starts to bounce. Friday night Iwent for gas and seen my guage was not charging like it should. I get home to find the belt loose and the bolts Iremoved to do the water pump loose and leaking. I adjusted the belt, tighten the torks head bolts. Started the car in the garage Ihad no leak. I went to tthe car show and the guage is bouncing from 15 up to the end. The guage has never done this. The car idles at 900 rpm, I know how to set idle. ?

Try some loc-tite on those torx and add a belt tensioner if it's a 2.8. / By the way the ECM sets the idle via the IAC on the throttle body.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/039384.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Rodney belt tensioner on the car.when I put it together I put antisease on all the bolts except one that I put permatex sealant on .it does not leak. I know how to set timing and idle is set by the computer in the car. I went over all the grounds today but I will start it tomorrow to see if the alternator is still surging. Friday night when I went for gas my lights where flickering but by belt was loose. I might Jack it up to remover the wires from alt and clean then. I guess it cannot hurt. Or my alternator is bad.?
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to take your alternator to an auto parts store and have it checked out. Maybe the internal regulator or something else inside is on its way out. Does the problem get worse the longer you drive it ? It kinda sounds like a bad alternator to me if all your connections are good and the battery terminals are good on the inside and the outside. If you end up going to a auto parts store, maybe take your battery with you too and have that checked out. If they check out to be good the battery and alternator could be crossed off the list of potential culprits. Just a thought.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It started to surge when it was up to temp. When it was cold it didn't surge at all. I will take to autozone tomorrow.
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It started to surge when it was up to temp. When it was cold it didn't surge at all. I will take to autozone tomorrow.

What'd you find out? I'm having a slightly similar issue and am curious...
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iffy wiring, battery cables, and grounds can cause this.
See my Cave, Alternator Sense

Clean all pulleys w/ brake clean and replace the belt. May look ok to you but belt is likely bad.
Coolant can ruin a belt and can't wash away additives in the coolant. Part of coolant have seal lube etc to save WP seal life and permanently alters the "rubber" of the belt.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is on hold because my back hurts. Thanks for the help. I will reply when I find something out.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My alternator tested good but I replaced it anyway and it was the problem. The new one from O'Reilly auto parts doesn't surge car fixed. Back still hurts but the car works. Now to the air conditioning mechanic to put on a new AC belt . It's starting to get hot in Florida.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2016 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My alternator tested good but I replaced it anyway and it was the problem.

I wonder if a connection was actually just bad (due to corrosion maybe) and swapping out the alternator was enough to make a better circuit?

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2016 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I did clean all the old grease out of the plug and cleaned the contacts. It's workes, now I go to the ac man to have them put a new belt on. I like I have an delco remmy rebuilt alternator on , 94 amp.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock