Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Parting out 86 GT - need suggestions/info (limited time and space)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Parting out 86 GT - need suggestions/info (limited time and space) by trivet
Started on: 03-10-2016 01:20 PM
Replies: 8 (180 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 03-14-2016 02:57 PM
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I need some advice.

I have an opportunity to part out an 86 GT. I will only have a few hours to pull what I want before it gets scrapped – the guy wants it out of his yard (where it looks like it’s been sitting for years). We agreed on a price for me to pull off anything I want, so I need to know what I should make sure to grab. I will have 2-3 hours, hand tools only (cordless drill), and limited to what I can fit in my Jeep.

What I know/was told/could see from my brief inspection (car was covered in snow when I looked at it)
Engine is seized and has been sitting for years
Frame is VERY rusted - inside of trunk is split open (rust)
Automatic transmission
Body is good (though very sun bleached and faded)
Interior is ok.
Quarter windows are bad

I know I’ll be pulling the following, please let me know if I’m overlooking a hard to find part that I’ll regret missing later. I want to make a list before I go so – help me build it

Tail lights (worth the price alone)
Interior dash Trim
Visors
Seats (2 sets, another from an 85 w/speakers)
Aero ground effects
Possibly the wheels (if I have room)
Any dash piece that is in good shape
Possibly some body panels - but space will be limited.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm really only looking to build a spare parts collection for myself, but I'm not opposed to grabbing something else if someone REALLY needs it - Remember though, I will be limited to a few hours and hand tools, and what I can fit in my Jeep, so I won’t be pulling the transmission out.

Thank in advance for any help!

------------------
Tim
'87 GT
Med Red Metallic
85K miles
Bay City, MI

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 03-10-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's a 4 speed, the cable brackets on the tranny are quite rare. I'd hate to think any get crushed. Save the headlight relays/motors. A spare heater blower motor is good to have.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

If it's a 4 speed, the cable brackets on the tranny are quite rare. I'd hate to think any get crushed. Save the headlight relays/motors. A spare heater blower motor is good to have.

I forgot to mention it's an automatic - updating my original post. Thanks you for the other suggestions!
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you need short term storage let me know.
trivet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I really appreciate that - but I have no way of transporting it, so I plan on pulling off what I can salvage. I can at least save some of it......
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it will fit, I'd take the front hood at least. Seems to be hard for me to track one down. Plus, they fit every year, so they are very versatile.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2016 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doors especially if the windows are in good shape, I know I need a set and they are over 300 new. Seats and any interior plastic trim in good shape. Intake filter housing so I am told is harder to find in good shape. Overflow radiator tank if mounting tabs not broken.
Curtisk1060

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coolant tubes, (if in good shape) A/C condensor, A/C hose assembly on rear firewall, complete wire harness uncut, headlight motors, wiper module, recall weather strip if it still has one, these are all harder to find in good shape items in addition to input from others. My thoughts..Curtis
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side marker lights if there in very good shape
Erg tube if in very good shape
Deck lid vent butterfly screws
Trunk lid lock assembly if there is a key
Performance Sound System

Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors