Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Insane amounts of rust in gas tank! please help!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Insane amounts of rust in gas tank! please help! by 2703adam
Started on: 03-03-2016 11:34 AM
Replies: 13 (620 views)
Last post by: mr_corean on 03-04-2016 11:49 PM
2703adam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2703adamSend a Private Message to 2703adamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got my gas tank removed to replace the fuel pump and I found an insane amount of rust in the gas tank. I mean it literally looked like I emptied the fryer at a fast food resturaunt. The "gas" if that's what you could call it, was almost black, and there was so much sludge and rust in the tank, I don't know what to do.

My question is two fold.

One:
Is there a way to clean the tank good enough so that I can still use it?

Two
If not, is there an aftermarket tank that is better than the original, and if not, would I be better off trying to get one from a junk yard or something to replace mine?

I didn't get any pictures inside the tank, but here are a couple of pictures of the fuel pump assembly

Thanks,
Adam

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not the stock fuel sender assembly.....

There are still tanks available, 87 and 88 are slightly different from earlier years.

You will have to decide if your tank is beyond repair.

most likely, It can be repaired.

Looks like the seal was bad and the car was stored long term with very little gas in the tank......much better to store the car with the tank full.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-03-2016).]

2703adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2703adamSend a Private Message to 2703adamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good eye!

I replaced the fuel sending unit when I replaced the pump 3 years ago. I replaced them both, but then didn't do anything with the car, so they've been sitting since. I believe I used a guide from this website to replace it

Also, I didn't plan on just letting it sit, but money, moving to a new house, having another kid, and everything else had priority over the fiero. I'm at a point now where I can work on it again, so I want to finally get it on the road. I've had it a little over three years I think, but it hasn't run since about 1998 according to the previous owner.

[This message has been edited by 2703adam (edited 03-03-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are cleaners you can pour in the tank, let it set, slosh it around and drain. Then its best to also apply the coatings you can buy. You pour it in and turn the tank around in all directions to coat the entire interior and after it cures, your good.

Just one of many available
http://www.amazon.com/KBS-C...Sealer/dp/B000IBEOQ2

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-03-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the world of Ethanol

I strongly suggest you either use this > http://pure-gas.org/

Or this..............

2703adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2703adamSend a Private Message to 2703adamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, I despise ethanol in my gas. I have a gas station right down from me that sells ethanol free gas, which is what I use in all of my outdoor equipment, from my tractor to my chainsaw, but I never used it in my vehicles because I go through it so quick it never sits in the tank. If I had known the fiero was going to sit so long, I would have used ethanol free.
2703adam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2703adamSend a Private Message to 2703adamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2703adam

30 posts
Member since Jan 2016
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking. I've washed out the tank with water to get all of the lose rust and other gunk out of it. Now here's what I'm planning....

I think I'm going to fill it back up with water and muriatic acid to dissolve all the rest of the rust in the tank, then flush it out really good with water, then pour about a gallon of acetone in there to try and displace the remaining water, then empty that and let it dry out. Then order some if that tank coating and coat the inside of the tank.

Does this sounds like a good plan?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends how bad the rust is. I would look for a replacement tank. Some people have luck with sealed tanks some don't, there are a few types of sealers.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A tip for drying the tank after washing:

Use a shop Vac! I put the hose in the exhaust port on my vacume, and then placed the other end in the tank, with a sock over it as a secondary filter. The air is warm, and very low humidity coming out of the exhaust. I let it run like this for a half hour, and not a drop to be seen anywhere afterwords with my endoscope.

spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought the fuel tank was made of plastic. If it is plastic it shouldn't rust. Where is the rust coming from? Somone straighten me out.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spirit:

Someone
straighten me out.

The answer is obvious.....it's a metal tank! You are now straightened.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buying another 25 year old tank could get you one thats worse than what you already have....just sayin.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that damage is not a new problem. Store a car w/ low fuel will pull wet air just from weather heating/cooling even before E10 push by Obama via EPA rules.

Pump says have up to 10% but could be much less.
If you have 1 gallon (128fl oz) then 12.8 fl oz Max could be Ethanol.

Ethanol need 98+% dry to stay in solution w/ gas. Water will pull Ethanol out of gas and sink to bottom as water/Ethanol mix.

Originally posted by 2703adam:
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking. I've washed out the tank with water to get all of the lose rust and other gunk out of it. Now here's what I'm planning....

I think I'm going to fill it back up with water and muriatic acid to dissolve all the rest of the rust in the tank, then flush it out really good with water, then pour about a gallon of acetone in there to try and displace the remaining water, then empty that and let it dry out. Then order some if that tank coating and coat the inside of the tank.
Does this sounds like a good plan?
No. Fiero Tanks have plastic baffles that can damage this way.

Dry out water w/ just enough heat to boil it out. Heat only at the small front end so heat doesn't damage the baffle.

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:
Welcome to the world of Ethanol
I strongly suggest you either use this > http://pure-gas.org/
Problems are:
Gas stations often lie
Gas stations often have no clue what in their tanks.

EPA and State control what gas mix(s) are available and Stations have No Say what fuel they pump.

Again, Pump says have up to 10% but could be much less. Depends how EPA and states say exactly what mix fuel "fixes" local air quality.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-04-2016).]

mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2016 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take the tank to a radiator shop. My tank looked like yours and it's like brand new now. I've never seen a shop that hasn't had the ability to clean them out inside till they are like new. I gave my shop the goop to coat the inside too and they did an excellent job of basically giving me back a brand new gas tank. I think I paid about $75 dollars for it all 2 years ago or so and it took a couple days. With the coated inside I don't expect this tank to ever have another issue for the life of the car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock