Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  GT Tail Light Repair/Protect Covers (Page 1)

Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Trash Can.
GT Tail Light Repair/Protect Covers by Slammed
Started on: 02-24-2016 01:13 AM
Replies: 198 (7352 views)
Last post by: ITR SOL on 09-23-2016 12:41 PM
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using the positives I have from the tail light tooling, I am now making lense covers. I will have ten sets ready to be shipped in ONE WEEK as I just received the letter/shading stencils today. These covers are made from 1/8" PETG. They will not break. You could even put them over your existing good tail lights to protect them. I would venture to say they will last as long as the car.

You need an original set but they can be literally in any condition. Smashed, cracked, or delaminated. As long as there is a lense to attach to, these covers will make them look brand new.

The shading is on the inside. If these ever get scratched or marred, you can polish them without worry of cutting into clear and through the lettering.

The paint I previously used on the repro lenses had no flex agent because it was significantly more rigid because of the border and reinforcement, and that the plastic was simply thicker. The flex agent may not even be necessary but I'm not going to chance it. If the lense is delaminated or cracked anywhere, this will completely hide it. Only to a very keen observer or Fiero owner would someone notice there is a layer over the top.

When I am ready to ship I am going to put up a little video of how I would modify the old lens, mount the cover and a clear representation of fit and finish on the car, and as many high resolution pictures as anyone could ask for.

UPDATED PICS:

OLD PICTURES FROM THE ORIGINAL OP:

Excuse the finger prints

Perfect clarity.

If you look at my actual tail light lenses you can get an idea of the kind of fit and finish I am capable of. These covers will be no less than the quality of than the lenses I would have produced.

Although I am not ready just yet I would like to get a running list going of those that want them! I am going to keep a running list in the OP

Right now the pricing for the covers is at $375 shipped to anywhere in the US via FedEx home delivery. I do not yet have a price for shipping to Canada but I will ship there and anywhere else someone may want them.

I am going to be making these on a per order basis and will not be making more than ten sets a week. I don't think that will be a problem but this is a warning that there may be a wait time. I will not take orders in advance and make you wait. If I think it is going to be more than a week, I will tell you to wait. I don't want to get in over my head.

If you have any questions of course feel free to PM or post here

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 03-02-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do they mount as replacement lenses? I don't see any tabs? Are they glued on?
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI: You can sand and buff scratches out of the originals as well.

Kudos to the OP! Nice job! Great alternative to what's available now, which is nothing.

I'm glad you pushed forward on these even after all the flaming you got.

However, l will have my popcorn ready for this thread.

v v v
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a bit confused about the install. I don't want to modify my existing lenses. I guess I'll have to see more. Great pics.
Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested, though I would like more detail on mounting as well.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mounting is simply double sided tape around the black border if they need to be removed

Silicone sealant around the border for broken lenses. Cut away the clear portion of the original, and essentially glue the cover over the lense with silicone. If there is ever an actual lenses made, you can still pop the clips and take the lense off
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slammed

783 posts
Member since Mar 2015

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

FYI: You can sand and buff scratches out of the originals as well.

I was talking about people who are painting the outside to fix the lenses
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

Mounting is simply double sided tape around the black border if they need to be removed

Silicone sealant around the border for broken lenses. Cut away the clear portion of the original, and essentially glue the cover over the lense with silicone. If there is ever an actual lenses made, you can still pop the clips and take the lense off

So, these go over the existing lens, correct? Have you tried fitting these to a Fiero, to make sure there are no issues with the additional material?

I am sure you will provide instruction and pictures, as that may help some better understand, as these are not direct replacement lens, if I understand you correctly.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They do not wrap the bottom or the inner side towards the key because of clearances

They are attached directly to the face of the old lenses

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 02-24-2016).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:

They do not wrap the bottom or the inner side towards the key because of clearances

They are attached directly to the face of the old lenses

Gotcha! (meaning... I understand)

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 02-24-2016).]

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I. AM. IN.

PLEASE PM ME when you are ready. I want to be one of the first! ))))

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what you're saying is that you MUST have a set of original lenses to use these, but the condition of those lenses can be somewhat rough? I like where this is going!
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you need an original set but they can be literally in any condition. Smashed, cracked, or delaminated. As long as there is enough lense to attach to, they will work.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count me in!
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool idea !
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. Are you going to offer them without the PONTIAC lettering?
IOW, completely opaque in the center?
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can make them however you want. Just the light border, totally clear, opaque, custom lettering, etc.

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slammed

783 posts
Member since Mar 2015
I had some changes made

Ready to start! I'll be updating daily until next week
ltlgt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly don't get the idea? Covers to go over you cracked and broken lenses. Won't the cracked and broken pieces just show through?... I am not downing the project, it just doesn't make sense to me... I'm a little lost.

------------------
LETS GO DRIVING!!!
[

Power Tour Long Haul 2009, 10 (muscle car)
Power Tour Long Haul 2011, 12 (Fiero)
Power Tour 3 stops 2013(Fiero)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The picture posted aren't finished. The covers are painted to look like the original lenses. You cut out the broken clear section that would show, and the rest is hidden under the painted portion of the cover
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you cut out the whole clear section of your old ones, put this cover on top of it making the lights shine through your clear portion and the black covers all the delamination and improfections of the black part?...
Is this right?

If this is right... I would be worried about where light songs through for the word Pontiac... It would have to go through 2 lenses basically would think it would destroy the light?
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done it here with brighter bulbs which works just great, or you can cut out that section as well. If the lens is busted already then it won't make any difference. You could cut out the whole thing and just leave a border and it would still look like a brand new lens
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Slammed

783 posts
Member since Mar 2015
I will have much better pictures tomorrow
ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seam noticeable with the trunk closed? Open?... Won't you be able to see both layers in the edge where the black will on top of each other?.

Sorry so many questions just cast picture this in my head exactly.... Guess I will wait did more pictures and tutorials on it...

Any word from the buyer on the other molds? Would rather have full replacements for 125 more if you can tell these are just cover ups
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know for a fact the replacements will not be $500. Nearly double. His investment was considerably more than ours

Wait for the pictures. It will be much more clear. This was meant to get a feeler as I'm getting really close to ship date.

George P Wood

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for George P WoodSend a Private Message to George P WoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are in good shape, but I like where this thread is going.
Hopefully you can show up at a Jet City Fieros meeting one of these days and show off your products.
I will reimburse the club for your meal if you can make it.
As stated before it is pretty much impossible for me to make it, but others can fill me in through their newsletter.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2016 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be around for sure
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work Slammed! I'm glad to see these are being positively received. This is an excellent and cost effective solution that should work for those who just don't have the means for a full replacement.
blacksaleen95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacksaleen95Send a Private Message to blacksaleen95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work!! Any idea on price point yet?
Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the post with the pics she said $375 shipped.
Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2016 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$375 Shipped. It's near the end of the first post

I'm just getting home from work and ready to start painting some covers. Pictures of a complete one here in a bit!

edit: the new paint with flex additive doesn't adhere. I'm going to spray another with the original paint from the lenses and see if it's got enough give

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 02-26-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
blacksaleen95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacksaleen95Send a Private Message to blacksaleen95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

In the post with the pics she said $375 shipped.

Wow, idk how I missed that....thanks.
Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news on how the paint came out Slammed?

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sprayed 5 sets last night and they are in the oven drying right now! I'm making a video today and will have it and more picture up tomorrow with sets ready to ship

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 03-01-2016).]

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woohoo! Tell me when your ready I want one!

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Slammed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm uploading the video to youtube right now. I am sad to say the paint is not flexible enough To be used as covers, they need to be removable without breaking the paint and I couldn't successfully pull a cover off without the paint cracking. The adhesion is great though so I'll figure something out soon.

[This message has been edited by Slammed (edited 03-02-2016).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, great job slammed! The idea is cool, and seems like a 'casing' for the taillights. Even nice finished ones could use these as a reinforcement for the OEM.

Seriously, keep up the good work.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow those look great. Have you tried Bulldog adhesion promoter? I know you said adhesion isn't a problem, but that stuff also helps keep the paint flexible.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume you are breaking off the rest of the lens and keeping the delam portion or have you tried that? One of the pictures shows the cracked lens behind your beautiful new cover and then others don't so I figure they are the same light assembly but maybe not.
Are your lens more flexible than the original?
Nice work!

Shho13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2016 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I assume you are breaking off the rest of the lens and keeping the delam portion or have you tried that? One of the pictures shows the cracked lens behind your beautiful new cover and then others don't so I figure they are the same light assembly but maybe not.
Are your lens more flexible than the original?
Nice work!

I assume by the pictures that you simply cut out the clear parts of the lens and apply the new cover over the old lens with adhesive and sealant to keep water out.

------------------
"Discord"

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This thread has been moved here: The Trash Can.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock