Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  GT Tail Light Repair/Protect Covers (Page 3)

Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Trash Can.
GT Tail Light Repair/Protect Covers by Slammed
Started on: 02-24-2016 01:13 AM
Replies: 198 (7352 views)
Last post by: ITR SOL on 09-23-2016 12:41 PM
Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Making generalities about all manufacturers in China, or anywhere else, is ridiculous. There are many problems in manufacturing, but to say all manufacturers in China are sub-standard is just ignorant. That said, I would still be interested to know how many owners would be interested in new tail lights.
IP: Logged
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I work in the performance after market. It is very dangerous to claim China is unable to make anything well.

The deal is you get what you pay for and many people want cheap so that is what they want. If all you do is buy from Harbor Freight you will only get sub standard tools unless you buy the most basic tool

We buy and sell there and have no issues with phone lines.

Too often it is difficult to get some items here as just no one makes them as the cost is so high no one buys them anymore.

Most of their factories are as modern or more modern than ours. Their work staffs are very skilled and can assemble anything from a file for Harbor Freight to a I phone for Apple with few issues. This is why it is dangerous to understate their abilities.

The only real issues are business dealings as while come MFG are reputable others there are not. The one electronics MFG we deal with is a good company to deal with. They have a staff of Americans that work there that oversee the MFG of product and that there are no short cuts or quality issues. Their design and oversee production.

Now one of the companies we deal with has Brake Rotors made there. They are as good as anything if they stick to the blueprint. Now if they get off then there are issues. The MFG has no in house staff in China and this is where it can go wrong with some MFG. As the employee told me when it is right it is great when it is wrong no one speaks English and they have to eat it.

Now MFG is not an issue there but the person or MFG knowing how to do business there is what is the game changer for most MFG> On site staff and a good knowledge of how to do business there is key.

As we are all here on computers using mostly parts from China I would warn never under estimate their abilities or you will pay a dear price.

The real reason China makes so many sub standard cheap items is because that is what many Americans want. Few people here want to pay higher prices so they make cheaper items because that is what sells anymore. Everyone complains about Walmart but yet most people still shop there and it is because of price.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slammed:
You talk like an old man with very outdated ideas of how the world works and refuses to wise up

I didn't drink the Kool-aid. P-H-O-N-E. Look it up, if you can. There will be no mention of Gb.

I stand by what I posted. Age is often the voice of experience. I am not swayed by impulses, glitz, or politics. I don't like cheap, disposable junk. As stated by someone else, if people don't ”wise up”, soon we'll have no manufacturing abilities, and everything will be junk made in China, they'll charge whatever they want, and there will be no hope for improvement. I fully understand how we've fallen into this quagmire, and it's because of ignorance, and the desire for glitz at low cost. Perspective gives me very accurate knowledge of how the world works.

To use your words, ”wise up”.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

now we're arguing about "quality" of products made in China?

I guess so.
Not sure why.

ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I guess so.
Not sure why.

Because the interwebz is serious business.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2016 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess so.
Not sure why.

I guess someone decided this thread wasn't already trashed enough, and just had to go at it for round 2.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that we know everyone's thoughts on products made in China, can we get back to the origional question, how many sets of tail lights does everyone think would be wanted by people on the forum and at what aproximate price. I realize that there are still some servicable tail lights out there, but even the really great looking ones are 30 years old. Plastic does deteriorate, so even the good looking ones are getting brittle and discolored.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Now that we know everyone's thoughts on products made in China, can we get back to the origional question, how many sets of tail lights does everyone think would be wanted by people on the forum and at what approximate price. I realize that there are still some serviceable tail lights out there, but even the really great looking ones are 30 years old. Plastic does deteriorate, so even the good looking ones are getting brittle and discolored.

IMO if they are 100% American made; the ideal price point would be $100 /side. Not to bash the Communist Chinese but most ( but not all) of what I have tried or looked at has been garbage. ex: window motors, window washer motors, ignition modules, fuel pumps, and many broken tools-all garbage. Centric stopped making their brake rotors over there as they had too many lawsuits related to brake failure. Now Centric is made here.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
100 per side would be a very good value for the buyer for sure, if it is possible to make at that price.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2016 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

100 per side would be a very good value for the buyer for sure, if it is possible to make at that price.

If TFS couldn't produce the original OEM lens covers at that price, even with having the actual molds from GM to produce them from, I don't see why one would expect an individual doing all the R&D to get them decent enough quality in much lower yield, and creating their own molds, would somehow be able to do it massively cheaper.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I work in the performance after market. It is very dangerous to claim China is unable to make anything well.

I am not underestimating.

Most of their factories are as modern or more modern than ours. Their work staffs are very skilled and can assemble anything from a file for Harbor Freight to a I phone for Apple with few issues. This is why it is dangerous to understate their abilities.

Sure.

The only real issues are business dealings as while come MFG are reputable others there are not. The one electronics MFG we deal with is a good company to deal with. They have a staff of Americans that work there that oversee the MFG of product and that there are no short cuts or quality issues. Their design and oversee production.

No. While having American overseers helps, it does not solve the problem. Either they can do it right (don't need overseers), orthey're doing it wrong. Shortcuts is a cultural thing. Not deliberate, but say there are product or packaging materials that are radioactive or otherwise toxic. They won't hesitate to use them.

Now one of the companies we deal with has Brake Rotors made there. They are as good as anything if they stick to the blueprint. Now if they get off then there are issues. The MFG has no in house staff in China and this is where it can go wrong with some MFG. As the employee told me when it is right it is great when it is wrong no one speaks English and they have to eat it.

Now MFG is not an issue there but the person or MFG knowing how to do business there is what is the game changer for most MFG> On site staff and a good knowledge of how to do business there is key.

The real reason China makes so many sub standard cheap items is because that is what many Americans want. Few people here want to pay higher prices so they make cheaper items because that is what sells anymore. Everyone complains about Walmart but yet most people still shop there and it is because of price.

IF they stick to the blueprint...but they don't. It isn't all about price. Many items made in China retained their price. We did random inspections; if we found radioactivity, flaws, failure to stick to blueprints, etc, we returned everything. No successful batches yet.

Sure, you get what you pay for. Even tissues at Walmart are mostly shreds. I'm sure they must be rejects.

I would say everyone sitting in front of their monitor or tv would disagree with you. I went to Guangzhou to buy my laser cutter and visited several manufacturing facilities. I have a direct number to an American supervisor on site and got an excellent product at a great price. This isn't some piece of crap scooter, it's a 20k precision machine. You said the manufacturer contacted you to sell their product. Someone in the US did not take a spec to China to have it built the way they wanted it, and it turned out to be crap.

Lots of contradictions. You had issues with, I believe, this same ”precision machine”, hence delays making parts with it. Now you're claiming that the problems I had were caused by the fact that someone in the US didn't tell these talented people in China how to do their job. Actually, the Chinese manufacturer was offering a copy of an Italian product. Reverse-engineering is so much easier and cheaper, I'd expect improvements.

As for ”everyone sitting in front of their monitor”, next time they see dead pixels, have erratic volume, have to reboot their computer because it froze up, have a hard drive that fails within a year, have whistling power supplies, etc, they can thank the Chinese. When they buy a toy that requires assemble, but the parts don't fit, they can thank China.

I guess I have higher standards.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-19-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

That'd be great, but it'll never happen. Sure, I'd buy a quality set at that price.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest, I think $100 per side is unrealistic. High production late model cars with tail lights of similar size and complexity, sell online for $300-$500 each side. If new, high quality replacements could be bought for $350-$400 per side, would anyone be interested?
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not worth asking. They'll be on the market before not too long. I have absolutely nothing to do with Fiero stuff anymore but I know they are out there
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went to Guangzhou to buy my laser cutter and visited several manufacturing facilities. I have a direct number to an American supervisor on site and got an excellent product at a great price. This isn't some piece of crap scooter, it's a 20k precision machine.

Hey Slammed, do I recall correctly that one of the delivery delay issues you faced was a breakdown of the laser cutter, and availability of parts? Were you able to get it fixed?

ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2016 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I guess I have higher standards.

I'm sorry, but what I'm reading doesn't come off as you having higher standards. It comes off as something more along the lines of prejudice. A lot of the examples you used aren't really valid. You've blamed the phones for cellular reception, which has more to do with the network they're on, not the phones themselves. That was just one example, you made many, some of which referenced issues that may have existed 20 years ago, not so much today.

I remember an argument on here where a member had the same opinion of Muslims. He even swore that they actively attempted to share their wives with him, which in a Country where women aren't supposed to be touched by any men other than their husband, would actually have been a death sentence to the wife if she had participated. There was no convincing him of anything, and what he kept perpetuating was nothing more than his own ignorance. I'm sorry, but you're coming off in the exact same manner with this. You made your point, others have made theirs. Arguing from either side will not sway the other.

[This message has been edited by ITR SOL (edited 09-19-2016).]

Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Hey Slammed, do I recall correctly that one of the delivery delay issues you faced was a breakdown of the laser cutter, and availability of parts? Were you able to get it fixed?

Yes but it was entirely my fault. I had replaced the power supply with a single phase instead of the 480v that it came with. The edge detection board didn't step down like I thought it would and after a while it was way off. It isn't a common part to fail to say the least so it took about a month to get what I needed
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

To be honest, I think $100 per side is unrealistic. High production late model cars with tail lights of similar size and complexity, sell online for $300-$500 each side. If new, high quality replacements could be bought for $350-$400 per side, would anyone be interested?

There is no way they could be $100 per side. I think a reasonable price point for new production lenses would be 500-700 per pair. If it were simply new clear lenses, it could be done cheaper, but just to get the OEM look you're talking about complex masking and painting, or precision cut and applied vinyl that can take the heat and stress that a tail light takes. And that's just to replicate the LOOK. To match OEM construction is even harder, as you are talking about two independent pieces of different color plastic bonded together in a seamless manner. Not cheap to develop that process, and even once developed won't be cheap to produce.

And there's your problem. Fiero owners are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. By and large they are unwilling to pay for quality and as a result your limited market gets even more limited.

On top of that there are a LOT of tire kickers out there in Fiero land. Anyone who has sold anything here can attest to that. Guys who swear up and down that they are committed buyers only to vanish when it's time to buy the product they begged for in the first place. A vendor is left with two choices, and neither have a good outcome. Choice one is to produce a product based on perceived demand and pray there are enough legitimate buyers to recoup the investment and maybe make a profit, or collect money in advance and constantly be called a thief until they deliver.

Unfortunately there is a reason vendors are abandoning the Fiero market, and the reason is Fiero owners.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropped calls occur regularly. Today (9-19-16) included. Actually, while the networks are often to blame, the issue is exacerbated by sync problems with some chip or other, then compounded by other faulty components. If the components were as designed, they would work much better. Think connecting rods in the Fiero.

I am prejudiced against inferior products. If you know your child--or employee--can do something properly, but does a sloppy job, or cuts corners, or does anything other than their best, and you don't tolerate it, does that make you prejudiced? If faulty products are being produced by your company, wouldn't you narrow the source, and do whatever it took to eliminate the problem? Sure, I'm generalizing by picking on a quarter of the planet, but when I pay for something, I believe that the transaction entitles me to an opinion on the quality of my purchase. Even if I have to return the item due to poor quality, I'm still entitled to my opinion. And yes, I express it. For those who have direct numbers for supervisors there, pass the word. If they don't like my comments about poor quality, fix the quality.

The funny thing is that this discussion is mostly assertions by some that the Chinese can, and statements by me that they don't. It would seem that those who are asserting that the Chinese can are perpetuating the problem. Actions speak louder than words. I have an open mind. When they DO start making quality products, I'll consider them.

I used to be able to buy Klien, Craftsman, Mac, etc tools with confidence. I have some of these tools that have been used and abused for more than 40 years, and are dated and a bit dirty, but will probably be good for another 40 years. Every now and then, I buy a tool because I need something I don't have. The tool breaks, I exchange it, it breaks, and I return it. Then I make my own. Not name brand or pretty, but functional.

Let's see. I'm French, Sioux, and Cherokee, with a few other things for spicd. My wife is Chinese and Kadazan. Her family has us send them products made here. Shoes, clothes, tools, etc. My family spent a month there recently. I have deaf and blind employees. I host a South Korean foreign national. Every ethnicity is represented in my family. You were saying about prejudice?

As for from 20 years ago, what is that saying? Basically, if you buy something from a manufacturer, and it's junk, and you buy something else from the same manufacturer, and it's junk, so you buy these things from different manufacturers, and they're junk, and then you see they're all manufactured in China, how long should you keep doing this? I may be dumb, but not dumb enough to keep doing it for 20 years! Unfortunately, it's hard to get away from Chinese products. You don't have to go to Walmart to get them, either. Last year, my American-made Levis jeans started wearing out. The store I bought them from closed in 1998. I bought more Levis. They lasted less than 2 months. Say, 3 wear/wash cycles each pair. My wife found out that the new jeans are made in China. They cost more than what the old jeans cost. Obviously price doesn't equal quality.

For anyone who has a baby, do those cheap Chinese bibs come anywhere close to fitting around your baby's neck? How about the bottled water bottles. The bottle comes apart when you try to remove the cap. These are relatively new samples from China.

Could China make the tail lights? Certainly. Will they? Probably not. Would any set be reasonably priced? I couldn't guess.
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:
Unfortunately there is a reason vendors are abandoning the Fiero market, and the reason is Fiero owners.

Unfortunately this is the truth of the situation. Just ask InfiniteWill, making parts for the Fiero owners just isn't worth it if the part requires ANY significant R&D or out of pocket expense. You have no way of knowing if you'll ever get your investment back because Fiero owners will try to negotiate "a better price", even if there's no margin for profit in the price you're asking, making their offer downright insulting. People here can be extremely disrespectful in their approach to anyone that even tries. There are too many "experts" and too many people who want to insult people over price, and opinion, saying they know and could do better for cheaper, etc. Nevermind that the people who do this never go out of their way to provide anything other than their "expert" opinions.
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITR SOL

193 posts
Member since Jun 2016

Originally posted by tshark:...

Not sure why you're still carrying this on. What are you expecting to accomplish? I wouldn't think it could be making you feel better to perpetuate this. Maybe just let it be that there are people that don't agree, and neither side really needs to validate why they see it that way...? I have no intention of debating point by point endlessly. Should we focus on an alternative for the lenses maybe?
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some thoughts. Yep its like that, might not change, but it could.
A lot of owners are "cheap", and the reason probably is because the cars are cheap. What will raise the value of parts is when and if the cars were valued more than they go for now. Mainly because the people who would then own them would have more money to spend, hence why they paid so much for the car to begin with. As far as parts prices the only other legitimate reason I can think of is is the quantity of surviving cars may not be as many as other makes/models, so smaller market.
Fieros are severely undervalued IMO. The reason for that can slowly change if the Fiero is exposed to more people, new generations of people, generations of people who are enthusiastic about the car. Not just enthusiastic about having "a two seat sports car" or "because its cheaper than a different one" but want a Fiero.

The chance is approaching, late 70s early 80s cars are picking up in value. The Fiero just has to make the right impressions on the right people at the right times. Most of us have heard hot rodders And muscle car folks talk smack about Fieros, even when its clear they don't have a clue about facts. As the naysayers die off, leave the hobby, their legacy of berating and excluding the Fiero can die with them.

The Minnesota Fiero club is having an inagural show next year inviting all 80s cars and this will expose many fans of 80s in general to Fieros. Quality Fieros owned by enthusiasts. This is something that is needed IMO.

http://www.backtothe80smn.com/

https://www.facebook.com/BackToThe80sMN/

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-20-2016).]

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITR SOL:

Unfortunately this is the truth of the situation. Just ask InfiniteWill, making parts for the Fiero owners just isn't worth it if the part requires ANY significant R&D or out of pocket expense. You have no way of knowing if you'll ever get your investment back because Fiero owners will try to negotiate "a better price", even if there's no margin for profit in the price you're asking, making their offer downright insulting. People here can be extremely disrespectful in their approach to anyone that even tries. There are too many "experts" and too many people who want to insult people over price, and opinion, saying they know and could do better for cheaper, etc. Nevermind that the people who do this never go out of their way to provide anything other than their "expert" opinions.

Bull. There are a LOT of Fiero vendors that produce high quality parts and have never had an issue with naysayers. Because they actually DELIVER the parts as promised, on time, and of high quality.

Off the top of my head:

Russ88ttop - interior upgrades
TXGOOD - armrest/cupholder & glovebox
Rodney Dickman - TONS of high quality parts, most much better than OEM
Mr. Mikes - seat upholstery
DIY STU - dew wipes
seajai - turn signal covers
And DOZENS more!

These are just a FEW of the members here that produce VERY high quality parts (I've purchased from all of them with the exception of the dew wipes) And they are all respected and have not been "treated poorly' (at least I have not witnessed it)
The difference is the way they conduct themselves. Don't lay a blanket statement out about "All Fiero owners are cheap", because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Engine swaps are not cheap - but there are hundreds on this forum
Chop tops are not cheap, there are dozens on this forum
Interior/dash swaps are not cheap....
Custom re-bodies are not cheap....
Complete restorations are not cheap......
New paint is not cheap.....
Custom fiberglass parts are not cheap.....
Keeping a 30 year old car on the road, often as a daily driver, is not cheap......

Shall I go on?

Hell, most of the stuff I've done to MY own car has not been cheap. So you're making accusations and statements about Fiero owners based on what? 3 months on the forum? And YOU want to talk about "expert opinions"? I am fairly certain I know who you are referring to - and yes, they do have an expert opinion. Based on years of knowledge and experience. And I am VERY grateful for their input. Because they share their knowledge, I (and MANY others) have been able to keep our cars on the road. You should listen to them, instead of spouting YOUR opinion - which is based on what again? PFF expert since June 2016?

The problem is not Fiero owners, it's so-called vendors with horrific "business practices" and ZERO communication skills. The vendors that communicate, are HONEST, and are active and contributing members have no such issues. Myself and many others will continue to support them, and are very grateful for them.

Tim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\
It is a mix of both IMO.

Every owner is different, just like anything else. Many people want a swap for speed, nice seat covers and decent interior because that is what they see while driving. Many want a factory restored car. Some may hardly drive it at all, some drive long distance to events all year, some dauly drive to work. Some are retired, some are in high school. True it is an unfair statement to say all Fiero owners are cheap. Its not untrue however to say that many are, and many aren't.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-20-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

People here can be extremely disrespectful in their approach to anyone that even tries. There are too many "experts" and too many people who want to insult people over price, and opinion, saying they know and could do better for cheaper, etc. Nevermind that the people who do this never go out of their way to provide anything other than their "expert" opinions.

This is kind of a separate issue. But its this way all thru life.
There are those that DO and there are thiose that TALK a lot.
Those that talk are always going on about what is wrong with something, how they'd do it different, etc.
But the thing is they don't DO, so its usually just chatter, much of the time just for attention, even if they don't realize that while they are saying it.
Those that DO, need to distinguish the real beneficial critique, from the complainer who just talks, and go forward anyway.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, philosophy now? It's 42, btw.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, philosophy now? .

Isn't everything?
ITR SOL

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

Bull. There are a LOT of Fiero vendors that produce high quality parts and have never had an issue with naysayers. Because they actually DELIVER the parts as promised, on time, and of high quality.

Off the top of my head:

Russ88ttop - interior upgrades
TXGOOD - armrest/cupholder & glovebox
Rodney Dickman - TONS of high quality parts, most much better than OEM
Mr. Mikes - seat upholstery
DIY STU - dew wipes
seajai - turn signal covers
And DOZENS more!

These are just a FEW of the members here that produce VERY high quality parts (I've purchased from all of them with the exception of the dew wipes) And they are all respected and have not been "treated poorly' (at least I have not witnessed it)
The difference is the way they conduct themselves. Don't lay a blanket statement out about "All Fiero owners are cheap", because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Engine swaps are not cheap - but there are hundreds on this forum
Chop tops are not cheap, there are dozens on this forum
Interior/dash swaps are not cheap....
Custom re-bodies are not cheap....
Complete restorations are not cheap......
New paint is not cheap.....
Custom fiberglass parts are not cheap.....
Keeping a 30 year old car on the road, often as a daily driver, is not cheap......

Shall I go on?

Hell, most of the stuff I've done to MY own car has not been cheap. So you're making accusations and statements about Fiero owners based on what? 3 months on the forum? And YOU want to talk about "expert opinions"? I am fairly certain I know who you are referring to - and yes, they do have an expert opinion. Based on years of knowledge and experience. And I am VERY grateful for their input. Because they share their knowledge, I (and MANY others) have been able to keep our cars on the road. You should listen to them, instead of spouting YOUR opinion - which is based on what again? PFF expert since June 2016?

The problem is not Fiero owners, it's so-called vendors with horrific "business practices" and ZERO communication skills. The vendors that communicate, are HONEST, and are active and contributing members have no such issues. Myself and many others will continue to support them, and are very grateful for them.

Tim

Been on and around here longer than you think, but feel free to make more judgments. I can list off more vendors who are no longer here than your list contained, and not all of them were the "Lloyd from Fast Fieros" type either. By the way, Rodney has recently said he makes more money off of other cars, and that he doesn't care if his Fiero business dries up (paraphrasing). In other words, he's probably eventually going to go the way of Archie. Everyone else you listed isn't really producing anything that would be considered high end, and are all more reasonable for the average Fiero owner. Oh, and most of the people on here don't do the full engine swap, body makeover, complete restoration thing. The percentage is very small compared to the other folks, who just tinker with the car and and try to keep it running in decent condition. You think the junkyard searchers are going to pay premium reproduction part prices if they can help it? For the record, I've paid quite a bit more than the average Fiero owner for my what's been done to my cars. There are exceptions, but not very many.

Sorry if you got offended, but that doesn't mean what I said is any less truthful.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In other words, he's probably eventually going to go the way of Archie..

As I understand it V8 Archie retired. But the business continues.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney has recently said he makes more money off of other cars, and that he doesn't care if his Fiero business dries up (paraphrasing). In other words, he's probably eventually going to go the way of Archie.

I never said these things exactly as you write it. You are significantly twisting my words to your advantage. I do not make more off other cars but it is getting closer. But I never said what you said. I never said anything about how much I make off other cars and Fiero's. Before you say these things you should really go back and do your research. I said I was starting to make more parts for other cars.

I did say I am having more satisfaction making parts for other cars and wholesaling them to other retailers. This way I don't have to deal with all the insults on that automotive forum like here. I still am working on some Fiero stuff. A quick check of my webpage would show you that. But you don't seem to want to do any work before you post here. I'm still developing some Fiero parts, just not as passionately for the Fiero as in the years before.

IMO it is just a handful here that usually cause the most harm with their insults etc. IMO if you want a better and more friendly forum take out the trash. IMO this Slammed person really got many here against each other yet here he still is.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:
IMO it is just a handful here that usually cause the most harm with their insults etc. IMO if you want a better and more friendly forum take out the trash. IMO this Slammed person really got many here against each other yet here he still is.

Slammed was just trying to be a vendor. She did not make people on this forum behave the way they did. Your actions are of your own volition. You were a part of the problem in that whole mess. If you want to blame someone, go look in the mirror.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

As I understand it V8 Archie retired. But the business continues.

The retail sale of kits still continues. He no longer operates a shop performing swaps. You can buy the kits, but need to do the swap yourself or find another shop to do it. Likewise for body kits he sells, like the widebody and hatchback.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

This Slammed guy says he went to China to buy a $20,000 laser and uses it in his business. He posts pictures in his lens topics that look like they were taken in a dirty 2 car garage. He showed blank lenses in what might be a bedroom in an apartment. He also shows them on a floor that has tiles you would have seen in the 60's. Google his business name and you find nothing. Google his phone number he gave and you get nothing. No one buys a $20,000 laser and almost never uses it. Who here still believes this guy? Almost 2000 people have viewed my web page on the lenses and $20,000 dies sold to an unnamed gentleman yet no one has contacted me. IMO this Slammed guys nose enters the room about 10 minutes before he does.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This Slammed guy says he went to China to buy a $20,000 laser and uses it in his business. He posts pictures in his lens topics that look like they were taken in a dirty 2 car garage. He showed blank lenses in what might be a bedroom in an apartment. He also shows them on a floor that has tiles you would have seen in the 60's. Google his business name and you find nothing. Google his phone number he gave and you get nothing. No one buys a $20,000 laser and almost never uses it. Who here still believes this guy? Almost 2000 people have viewed my web page on the lenses and $20,000 dies sold to an unnamed gentleman yet no one has contacted me. IMO this Slammed guys nose enters the room about 10 minutes before he does.

AGAIN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, SLAMMED HAS A VAGINA. I know that scares you, being a misogynist and all. But it's true.

And here you go again, trying to start the flinging of faeces.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You were a part of the problem in that whole mess.

IMO the problem was 100% his pathological/compulsive lies. By that is my opinion.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

AGAIN FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, SLAMMED HAS A VAGINA. I know that scares you, being a misogynist and all. But it's true.

And here you go again, trying to start the flinging of faeces.

OK. Prove it.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO the problem was 100% his pathological/compulsive lies. By that is my opinion.

Her. And yes, that is your opinion ignoring your own pathological behavior, continually attacking her (and others) over and over on this forum, exactly as you are doing now.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

OK. Prove it.

Prove she is not a woman, and that you are not a misogynist.

Pro tip: Not attacking her at every possible chance in every thread about tali light lenses, would be a halfway decent start.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2016 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK. Prove it.

How do you have more positive feedback than dobey?

[This message has been edited by Silvertown (edited 09-20-2016).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not attacking her at every possible chance in every thread about tali light lenses, would be a halfway decent start.

A half way decent start would be for him to admit to his lies and tell the whole story and tell only the truth IMO.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

This thread has been moved here: The Trash Can.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock