Bag gas by Scott88
Started on: 02-22-2016 02:51 PM
Replies: 8 (258 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 02-23-2016 02:59 PM
Scott88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott88Send a Private Message to Scott88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought an 88 gt...absolutely mint.41,000 miles ..but sat in storage for 3 to 4 years. ..running rough and won't idle cause of bad gas...anyone know what I'm in for and what to suggest having done
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
drop tank, clean it out? If it was me, I would connect up a vac source (something like a hand pump extractor) and remove the gas via the fuel filter connection. Pour in new gas and run it. Now... this doesn't mean you are out of the clear, as you may have gunk in the tank, but I have had Fieros sit for a long time without issue. So... worse case, drop tank.... otherwise, pull out old gas and replace with new.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 02-22-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably more than just the gas.

Mine hasn't been driven since 1999. I fired it up last year and it ran fine. But then, I treated it with Sta-Bil.

Now my Pilot Vehicle is another story. That car sat in a barn, in crappy conditions for 15-20 years. It started then quit. Before I try to get it to run on its own, I'm going to drop the tank, clean it and flush the fuel system.

I suggest you do the same.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You ran w/ "bad gas" doesn't mean much... Any damage is likely done.

If low then just add more fresh fuel.
if full then empty most then fill w/ new.
Use a bottle of injector cleaner or "dry gas" can help w/ a full tank of fresh fuel. Run close to empty then repeat. (Fiero tank is small and using both in same fill-up can be bad.)

Replace fuel filter after running awhile. Fiero filters take allow of crap before plugging. Crap can come out of the tank after filling once or a few times.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2016 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott88:
Just bought an 88 gt...absolutely mint.41,000 miles ..but sat in storage for 3 to 4 years.

Out of curious, where did you find this car? In Abington? Where's that?

Scott88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2016 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott88Send a Private Message to Scott88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in abington MA,... I drove to Pennsylvania to check it out and bought it...I just want to say thank you all for chiming in...as long as it's fixable I'm good ...this thing is absolutely mint
Scott88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott88Send a Private Message to Scott88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how to post a pic...I'm a new to this forum...but when I figure it out I'm sure you all will aprreciate the condition of this car...
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott88:

I'm not sure how to post a pic...

If you're running Windows, use PIP which was designed for this site.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2016 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three to 4 years isn't that long. I would probably just top if off with fresh fuel if it's less than half now. If it happens to be full then dropping the tank is your best option. My only advise there is do it from the side. Life the car on one side it will be a whole lot easier than trying to get the whole car up in the air.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock