harmonic balancer installer by jim94
Started on: 02-18-2016 11:05 AM
Replies: 11 (207 views)
Last post by: Gwhite18 on 02-19-2016 12:26 PM
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am try to rent or buy an installer to put the balancer back on.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just use the bolt that hold it on to draw it back in place on my V6.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Imnuts:

I just use the bolt that hold it on to draw it back in place on my V6.

The problem with using the original bolt is that very few threads are engaged at the start. I found a much longer bolt which I use along with a nut. The bolt is screwed in until it bottoms out, and then the nut is turned to push the balancer into place on the crank.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to ruin a balancer, try using everything but an installer.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
should be able to use one for free from autozone or napa etc. just have to leave a refundable deposit.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

should be able to use one for free from autozone or napa etc. just have to leave a refundable deposit.

They don't always have them but that's where I would look.

Or do what I did and but one.

EDIT: I just noticed you said NAPA. I didn't know NAPA rents tools? I'm sure they will have it.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-18-2016).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Patrick. Many years ago, when I was doing my first 2.8 V6 rebuild, I tried to get away with just using the damper bolt. I noticed that the threads on the bolt were being deformed. I learned my lesson from that.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

If you want to ruin a balancer, try using everything but an installer.

What's wrong with the method I outlined?

Originally posted by Patrick:

The problem with using the original bolt is that very few threads are engaged at the start. I found a much longer bolt which I use along with a nut. The bolt is screwed in until it bottoms out, and then the nut is turned to push the balancer into place on the crank.

This is very similar to what I use and was describing above. How is this a problem?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-18-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is very similar to what I use and was describing above. How is this a problem?

LOL!

Not fair Patrick!

You didn't mention using a bearing which appears to work like the tool.

But the installer is also a remover and a balancer should never have claws put on the outside of them like a pulley puller.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You didn't mention using a bearing which appears to work like the tool.

Let me clarify... that's an image I found on the 'net. I don't use a bearing, I use the factory heavy washer that is normally located between the head of the crank bolt and the balancer. However, for all intents and purposes, it's the same setup.

But the installer is also a remover and a balancer should never have claws put on the outside of them like a pulley puller.

Well yeah... I agree that a balancer should never be pulled off with "claws". It should never be pounded off with a hammer either. But this thread is about installing a balancer.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-18-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...for all intents and purposes...

You got it right! Most people say it the other way. Drives me batshit...

Sorry for the hijack. Please resume normal programming.
PFF
System Bot
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the same method on the ls1 in the camaro. Start it with a longer bolt from the hdwr store, then torque it down with the old oem bolt, then install a new bolt.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock