Sway bars and Teflon tape? by ICCAMDFIERO
Started on: 02-14-2016 01:06 PM
Replies: 6 (470 views)
Last post by: lorennerol on 02-15-2016 02:52 PM
ICCAMDFIERO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I received a rear sway bar from my gf as a valentine's day present!! One of my friends told me about wrapping your sway bar with Teflon tape under the bushings to stop squeaking. A quick Google search showed this being pretty popular. Has anyone tried this on their fiero? Anyone with a rear sway bar notice much squeaking from there sway bar bushings? Is it worth it or is the lithium grease sufficient?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess you have poly bushings. I never tried Teflon tape but I can see how it would work
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-14-2016 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the grease isn't sufficient, then you probably didn't use enough.
ICCAMDFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ICCAMDFIEROSend a Private Message to ICCAMDFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't installed the swaybar yet. I was just intrigued by the information and wanted to see if anyone had any input or cons?
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2016 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Con would be that the bushing is a moving part with pretty tight tolerances.

If you want to use teflon at all, I'd suggest a spray-on product would be better than tape.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume you're talking about the center bushings, not the end links. I prefer to use heavy grease. The thicker the grease, the longer it will last before needing to be regreased.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the front and added a rear from a TFS kit over the Christmas holiday. We used the supplied lubricant and I've not noticed any noise.

I did, however, completely fail to figure out how the weird captive nut plate for the rear swaybar could possible work on my 87 GT. After fussing with them for a while, and even stewing on it over lunch, we gave up and cut the nuts off the curved plate; it just didn't fit inside or outside the frame rail.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock