Started on: 02-12-2016 07:30 PM
Replies: 47 (3131 views)
Last post by: motoracer838 on 01-07-2018 11:22 AM
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread, //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091128.html is where this started, more to the point This is where we wound up, The more "bits" I had Bob (RCR) take off the car the better it look until we got to this.

This was almost two years ago, that's when I decided I needed to build it, needing a starting point, I purchased a Fiero with a 308/328 kit, it's in my post near the bottom of the page. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/091128-5.html (I have no idea how I put the pic up, when I hit quote, it doesn't show up in the text)

Started moving forward recently with the purchase an '06 Porsche Boxster s 6 speed transaxle, a dash out of an '08 Corvette and now for the "killer" donor car.
http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/38452435 What a pain in the azz, I'm done with CoPart...

There won't be much left of the Fiero, basiclly the passenger compartment and the doors, the plan is to build a frame around the tub that will locate all of the Corvette components, engine, suspension, brakes and anything else useful that I can harvest from the Vette, I'm not expecting there to be much left of it as well.

I've had time to dwell on the project, I really can be my own worst enemy, I've had a change of heart in how the car will look and will combine some of the car above with elements from this, of course I expect the body work to take a while, I'm only good at the "creation" stuff when I'm "feeling" it, trying to force it has never ended well for me.

Also posted by Bob, hmmm I'm noticing a theme...

Cheers beers n Gearz, Joe
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Bout time, Joe.

Bob
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This will be fun to watch!
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been following these 288GTO / modern interpretation threads. Nice how ideas came up. I just hope you all (3 different projects?) get them done. And I hope someone gets it done a bit like the Ringbrothers did with their Pantera... Take a classic design, make it better and blend it to a modern version without loosing the original.

I dont have popcorn so I will grab a beer

here is the Pantera for those living under a stone :

http://ringbrothers.com/1971_pantera_adrnln
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG that is the most amazing car I think I have ever seen. I have always been a Pantera fan but that thing is just ridiculous. Just enough custom stuff but not enough to take away from the timeless original design. I must say that I am a purist when it comes to that car but this one is STUNNING. Well done to whoever did that work. Beautiful...

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Maryville, Tennessee
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics for you, Joe.

Bob
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2016 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love these builds! Looking forward to more!
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the work and money that this build will require, why not build a Factory 5 GTM? Probably would you cheaper and easier in the long run, and the result would be a MUCH better car.
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a little bummed that you're beating me to it but I'm excited to watch your progress.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to look amazing!
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2016 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

With the work and money that this build will require, why not build a Factory 5 GTM? Probably would you cheaper and easier in the long run, and the result would be a MUCH better car.

Everybody, thanks, it will be a bit before I really get going on this, still need to get my 88 Northstar up and running, currently spending money like a drunken sailor on it, the good news is that by the end of day tomorrow all the parts will be in.

Napoleon, I'm going to assume you haven't looked at any GTM build threads, the cars are proving to be a much tougher build than FFR would have you believe, never mind that the kit costs 25 large and you still need a Corvette donar and the Porsche transaxle. Also it would be just another GTM, I'll have something one of a kind.

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to take a moment to show what I've gathered for the project so far.

The car I'm starting with.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
The '98 Corvette parts car, Looks like hell, but runs and moves under it's own power.

The Porsche Boxster s 6 speed transaxle. It's amost scary how well the Porsche shifter fits in the Fiero.

The wheels, Replica C4 ZR1 wheels, 9.5x17 front, 11x17 rear.

The C6 dash, some modifications will be needed, looks like once trimmed, the defrost vent will wind up in the right spot.

Major parts still needed, Ride Tech C5 coilover kit, LS to Porsche adapter and tires.

What are the 8 most expensive words in the english language?
While I'm at it, I might as well... Joe
Bozzie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW !!!! Super Impressive box of parts you have there ! This is going to be a AMAZING and IMFORMATIVE build. Thanks for sharing.

Boz

------------------
http://i252.photobucket.com...ec/2007_12240001.jpg

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bozzie:

WOW !!!! Super Impressive box of parts you have there ! This is going to be a AMAZING and IMFORMATIVE build. Thanks for sharing.

Boz

The amazing thing is that with research and careful shopping, I'm only in it for a bit over $7,000 so far. You'd hate me if you knew how cheap the wheels were... Let's just say, I'll have more in the tires.

Joe
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[B]Originally posted by motoracer838:[/

What are the 8 most expensive words in the english language?
While I'm at it, I might as well... Joe

I have said that way to many times, which makes me in turn have stuff lying around waiting to be changed out. I also buy stuff that I think might not be around when ready to when I want to upgrade or repair or mod or ........ I have to remind myself all the time to just step back and stay focused. When I see project like this is when it gets hard because I figure I won't live long enough to build them all.

How much does a corvette in that shape cost?
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2016 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, add another thread to RCR's and dobey's for me to keep an eye on .
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a cool stash, Joe. Now get at it...

Bob

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a fun project!
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I have said that way to many times, which makes me in turn have stuff lying around waiting to be changed out. I also buy stuff that I think might not be around when ready to when I want to upgrade or repair or mod or ........ I have to remind myself all the time to just step back and stay focused. When I see project like this is when it gets hard because I figure I won't live long enough to build them all.

How much does a corvette in that shape cost?

I swear I'm turning into Stacy David of Gearz, he has more unfinished projects than time, some how I'm up to 4(at least I'm driving 2 of them, with 1 more coming on line this summer.) not counting 2 vintage motocross bikes I need to put back together and sell. The upside, the bikes should just about pay for the remaining hard parts.

The Vette is an excellent example of how bad CoPart's fee's are, after about a month of bidding on Vette's I won the auction on this one. (not my first win, or choice, couldn't reach an agreement on price with the seller on a Grand Sport I won the bid on, it was a reserve auction, like this car) My winning bid was $1,300, after some offers and counter offers , ended up at $1,600, after taxes and fees it was $2,400.

Here's a rundown of where the money has gone so far... I'm going to continue to update the list as I add parts also remembered a couple of small things I had to do to get the car off the trailer.
$1,300, 84 Fiero rebody, ebay
$600, delivery
$2,400, 98 Vette, CoPart
$300, to go get it
$100, Replacement chip key, even though CoPart had the car powered up to display the mileage in the listing, they somehow didn't have the key...
$90, Right upper A arm, to replace the broken one.
$1,700, Porsche Transaxle shifter and cables
$100, to go get it
$500, C6 dash
$569, Wheels, Ebay/ with shipping
$512, Tires, Ebay/ with shipping
$68, Mount and balance
$8,239, so far...

Still needed...
$2,000, Ride Tech C5 coilover kit
$1,800, engine to trans adapter, with clutch upgrade, I'm looking at working with a local machinist I do projects with from time time, so this should come in lower
$400 approx for steering rack, to replace the damaged one.
$700 Davies Craig electric water pump, controller and manifold kit.

$250, approx for Sebring windshield, see Bozzie's awesome build for info. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000135.html

That covers most of the "hardparts" I'm not even going to try to estimate what I'm going to spend on the exhaust (including a set of 180 degree set of bundle of snakes headers, interior and materials for creating the body...

While I was in Houston picking up the Vette, I took a little time to do some sight seeing.

You really don't get a feel for how big this thing is until your standing under it...

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 05-27-2016).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Woo hoo, the tires are in. With careful shopping and catching a sale combined with a coupon got all 4 for $511.80

The tires are Nitto NT555 fronts are 255/40/17. The rears are 315/35/17. Can't wait to see them mounted...
LOL, Drifter just had to check them out.

Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 05-05-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice snag.

Bob
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you hitting it hard Joe!

Charlie
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't posted on the forum in a loooooong time, but a build like this is enough for me to come out of hibernation! Good luck with it & post lots of pictures!
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you are still with us Doc! Do you still have your car or have you moved onto something else?

Steve
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2016 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe.

I designed and machined an adapter to go from Northstar to Porsche 901 transaxle. I drew it up in SolidWorks, cut in on the water jet and machined the register in a lathe. Is there an adapter out there to go LS1 to Boxster? If not, perhaps I can give you a hand.

Shayne

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, thanks for the comments, Doc John, I remember your name back when I had just joined, I'm honored that this build could bring you out of "hibernation".

Shane, got your PM, There are parts available, Renegade Hybrids has a "kit" and is very proud of it, They don't have any pics of the parts but do have vids of running cars, I assume they are worried about people cloning their parts, There is another one that I have gotten pics of the adapter and flywheel. very crude machine work and as far as I can tell the adapter is about 2" thick!!! I already have a plan in motion regarding the adapter, it's going to be a modification of some existing parts, more info when the parts arrive.

Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 05-08-2016).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tires and wheels are mounted.

While I would have liked more positive offset, I would have had to spend several times what I did for these wheels, I can live with having to make some spacers to get the track width I need.

Joe
Drewbdo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrewbdoSend a Private Message to DrewbdoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribing
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2016 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any progress?
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2016 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe, you have a PM.
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Any progress?

Needing to clear a couple of other projects out of the shop now that the overtime had died down, (we'll see how long that lasts...)

I got all excited, found out that Kennedy engineered products now has an adapter for the LS-1 to Boxster s trans, then found it was 2.5" thick... I can do better... just don't hold your breath.

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

motoracer838

3751 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

Joe, you have a PM.

Reply sent.

Joe
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Needing to clear a couple of other projects out of the shop now that the overtime had died down, (we'll see how long that lasts...)

I got all excited, found out that Kennedy engineered products now has an adapter for the LS-1 to Boxster s trans, then found it was 2.5" thick... I can do better... just don't hold your breath.

Joe

When you get your adapter built, would you be interested in selling a copy?
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2016 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait to see more
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

When you get your adapter built, would you be interested in selling a copy?

Once I have it worked out, yes, keep in mind that if I use the starter that I'm planning, (LS4) it'll require cutting of the Porsche transaxle case...

Joe

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the look of the red one at the top. It all works great for me. The black one is not bad, but needs to lose all the added on scoops and wing. All just my personal taste.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by motoracer838:

I swear I'm turning into Stacy David of Gearz, he has more unfinished projects than time, some how I'm up to 4(at least I'm driving 2 of them, with 1 more coming on line this summer.) not counting 2 vintage motocross bikes I need to put back together and sell. The upside, the bikes should just about pay for the remaining hard parts.

The Vette is an excellent example of how bad CoPart's fee's are, after about a month of bidding on Vette's I won the auction on this one. (not my first win, or choice, couldn't reach an agreement on price with the seller on a Grand Sport I won the bid on, it was a reserve auction, like this car) My winning bid was $1,300, after some offers and counter offers , ended up at $1,600, after taxes and fees it was $2,400.

Here's a rundown of where the money has gone so far... I'm going to continue to update the list as I add parts also remembered a couple of small things I had to do to get the car off the trailer.
$1,300, 84 Fiero rebody, ebay
$600, delivery
$2,400, 98 Vette, CoPart
$300, to go get it
$100, Replacement chip key, even though CoPart had the car powered up to display the mileage in the listing, they somehow didn't have the key...
$90, Right upper A arm, to replace the broken one.
$1,700, Porsche Transaxle shifter and cables
$100, to go get it
$500, C6 dash
$569, Wheels, Ebay/ with shipping
$512, Tires, Ebay/ with shipping
$68, Mount and balance
$8,239, so far...

Still needed...
$2,000, Ride Tech C5 coilover kit
$1,800, engine to trans adapter, with clutch upgrade, I'm looking at working with a local machinist I do projects with from time time, so this should come in lower
$400 approx for steering rack, to replace the damaged one.
$700 Davies Craig electric water pump, controller and manifold kit.

$250, approx for Sebring windshield, see Bozzie's awesome build for info. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000135.html

That covers most of the "hardparts" I'm not even going to try to estimate what I'm going to spend on the exhaust (including a set of 180 degree set of bundle of snakes headers, interior and materials for creating the body...

While I was in Houston picking up the Vette, I took a little time to do some sight seeing.

You really don't get a feel for how big this thing is until your standing under it...

Joe

You might as well have gotten my old 97 C5.... thing ran like a beast,,,, that is until some dumb woman ran a red light. BTW you done anything with those C6 wheels? the ones on my 05 are looking a lil chewed up.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 11-29-2016).]

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

You might as well have gotten my old 97 C5.... thing ran like a beast,,,, that is until some dumb woman ran a red light. BTW you done anything with those C6 wheels? the ones on my 05 are looking a lil chewed up.

Currently, the plan is t use them on the next phase of the Indy Hauler, but If I had a buyer for the wheels... Could get something different, The wheels, btw look to be replica's in a 17/18 combo, let me know if your interested.

Joe
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so it's a year latter and I still haven't started working on it, doesn't mean I can't upgrade some things along the way, or I really need to stay off Craigslist...

Just scored a set of IForged TE14s wheels in 18X9.5 front and 19X11 rear with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 tires in 275/35/18 front and 325/30/19 rear. the tires have very little milage, there are still signs of the nubs in the tread...

IMG_20171211_203656259 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

IMG_20171211_205310023 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

this gives an idea how the ZR1 wheels would look.

IMG_20171211_205039191 by Joseph Martin, on Flickr

And with the IForged... I like the new wheels... Looks like the ZR1 wheels are going on the Trans Am... Hell, I've got so many wheels and tires these days, I could start a tire store.
Cheers Beers n Gearz. Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 12-11-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay