underhood paint what color? by vette7584
Started on: 02-10-2016 08:48 AM
Replies: 16 (464 views)
Last post by: Fiero STS on 02-12-2016 04:27 PM
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what color underhood paint best matches factory black? what does everyone use?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The underside of the hood, or the inner fenders?
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin...play.cgi?model=Fiero

You could find the paint code in the options tag under the hood or with a VIN number decoder, if your car was originally black

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-10-2016).]

vette7584

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe my post was a little misleading. all fiero hoods underneath are painted, I believe the same color. but what color best matches it? this is the front "trunk" hood, and back "engine" hood. it looks like a black color, but not sure what company makes a color that best matches it
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be wrong here but I believe that is an unfinished gel-coat top coating.

It can be replicated in paint by taking a piece to your local automotive paint supply store, have them photograph the color and custom mix it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

It can be replicated in paint by taking a piece to your local automotive paint supply store, have them photograph the color and custom mix it.

Thats what I did with our 86 2m4, came up with quite a lot more than black, even blues and metallic in it, but it does match.
Visibly for the most part they are a dark blueish maybe even greenish gray, compare them to the fenderwells, those are black.
I still have the can, I can see if they printed the mix on it, cant remember.

But i am also not sure all years were the same exact color on the underside of the lids.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

But i am also not sure all years were the same exact color on the underside of the lids.

I've noticed that too. Some are lighter than others.

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the following on all my builds:

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the paint they mixed that matched our 86 2m4, it actually does have a code.
WA7197

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine were not black, although I did them over in semi gloss black. They were very dark, almost black, but gray. They could have been faded, but definitely NOT black to me.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing personal guys but I would never paint an engine compartment Black, not that I am against the color or anything but putting a dark color like black makes finding a leak would be a nightmare with a black interior color. Sorry forget what I said, I am not a fan of Black cars, they are to dam hot in the summer, ever try to sit on a black car that has been sitting in the sun in a parking lot for an hour or more? Or try to keep a black car clean and stay that way.

most cars are painted under the hoods in the Fiero's case the same color as the car, it's just the way they made them at the factory. If I am wrong and anyone knows for sure that they weren't the same color I am sure they will correct me.

Best color for an engine compartment to see what going on is white. oil leaks are easily visible because, hey its white, same with trany fluid and brake fluid as well as antifreeze and any other fluid is more visible on a white engine compartment or hood.

Now the frame rails and other parts that are not body parts are usually black, think the colors of any vehicle ever made, in the Fiero there are a lot of parts that are just plastic, and flat black under the front hood.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-11-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

most cars are painted under the hoods in the Fiero's case the same color as the car, it's just the way they made them at the factory. If I am wrong and anyone knows for sure that they weren't the same color I am sure they will correct me.

Corrected....Not so on the Fiero. The underside of both the trunk lid and front hood are a dark dark grey to black type color, but definitely not the same color as the rest of the Fiero.

Also I can understand what your saying about white for visibility of issues, but it would be a pain to keep clean...especially since the under paint is typically done in a flat paint.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 02-11-2016).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2016 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Mine were not black, although I did them over in semi gloss black. They were very dark, almost black, but gray. They could have been faded, but definitely NOT black to me.

On my 87 GT the underside of the front hood is matte/satin black while the underside of the decklid looks to be out-of-the-mold dark grey gelcoat.
I got this car when it was 2-years old, so I'd assume that's how it came from the factory (no evidence of front end hit).

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are black now looks cleaner.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't remember which build thread but one guy on here painted the front compartment with a can of laquer made by Rustoleum. I assume you could do the under the hood the same way. I'm pretty sure it was a satin finish. What he sprayed with the paint looked really good in the pics. I did find the build thread. It's on page 2 of General Chat named JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog about 3/4 down the first page. He only showed the front compartment but he posted a pic of the spray can.

[This message has been edited by Adjustso3 (edited 02-12-2016).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Rustoleum or Krylon BBQ black. It works for just about anything and looks good, holds up well even to heat.
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The under hood color is the same charcoal grey (dark grey) as the interior. Same as the top of the grey dash or radio surround.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock