Possible range of prices for 3800SC Auto Fiero around TX area by akncmulch
Started on: 02-03-2016 08:19 PM
Replies: 16 (363 views)
Last post by: darbysan on 02-13-2016 11:15 AM
akncmulch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering how much an 86 GT with a 3800SC swap and an auto tranny might possibly go for? A round about answer is suitable as there is not enough info to give a perfect description. Decent paint, a few minor flaws, about average interior considering what I have seen on CL. All I know is it's been lowered a bit, with 16s on it and adjustable rear struts along with an MSD ignition system. Thank you for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about this one in particular?
http://dallas.craigslist.or.../cto/5418629030.html
akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2016 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, yes, that's the one.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't value that car at much more than $4k after watching years and years of 3800 Fiero ebay sales and one of my own.
akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, thank you. Thats kind of the number that I had in my head. Considering you have one with that swap, is there anything you can tell about the swap itself through the pictures? Series engine maybe, type of trans, what mounting style they went with? I'd rather not buy an engine swapped vehicle and have the drive train drop out of it a week later.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize you're talking Texas and I'm in NY but a buddy of mine bought a pretty decent one that just needed some very minor sorting out for $2200.00 on Ebay.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-04-2016).]

akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And it had the 3800sc swap already done to it?
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that's why he bought it.

'86 GT, Black & Silver, out of NJ area

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 02-04-2016).]

akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jeeze. Ok, thanks. Starting to seem like this 7k is way above normal asking price

[This message has been edited by akncmulch (edited 02-04-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by akncmulch:

Jeeze. Ok, thanks. Starting to seem like this 7k is way above asking price

Everything depends on quality, condition and timing.

My buddy watched that car on Ebay run 2 other times to a NO SALE. If I recall, it also ran durring a holiday. Like I said, "timing", it really is everything. You never try to sell anything durring a holiday.
akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I definitely understand the theory of timing has a huge influence on price of an item. However if its that much higher than the average price...I dint forsee it going to a reasonable amount any time soon.
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at those pics on a PC and not my phone, it looks like a tossed together mess. The fuel lines are a joke, I don't even understand the throttle cable, the wiring is all bunched up under the decklid vents, the dogbone bracket looks hacked up and who knows that else. I would steer clear of it unless you can get it for maybe 5K cheaper than the asking price
akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, you're saying that if I could get it for around 2k that it would be a vehicle worthy of my time and money to make it right? That is a huge difference. I may just have to ditch the idea of getting that one in particular. We'll see what they say, if anything.
Curtisk1060

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2016 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Curtisk1060Send a Private Message to Curtisk1060Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with slammed, I wouldn't pay over 4K for it as it is not professionally done.. plug wires routed through the decklid hinge, etc. Makes you wonder what else is wrong, I would need to inspect it carefully for basic workmanship before buying..
akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everybody. I think that I am just going to let that one go. He said that it is exactly like how he purchased it however long ago that was. But, he believes that it was professionally done. Taking into consideration what you guys said about how the engine bay looks, I really don't trust his judgement on what was done with the car (other than its apparently FAST). The only problem I have is that its a gorgeous color and on the outside I like it quite a lot. But, I seriously doubt he will go down to 2K. Thanks again guys.
akncmulch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2016 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akncmulchSend a Private Message to akncmulchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that every car is different and it seems like every 3800sc swap ive seen on here is done differently. But, I was wondering if anybody that has done the swap themselves could give me a round about guess as to what the swap would cost. Lets say, if you had the technical knowhow to do the swap (mechanic) yet not the means of fabrication for specific or custom parts. If that answer to that question is too broad, its ok. I was told by the owner of this car that the swap plus buying the car would be a lot more than the now 6K that he said he wouldn't take anything less than. Thank you for the help
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2016 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just a rough estimate ( so don't kill me over being a little off!!), based on what I am doing. A lot will depend on what Donor engine you get, and what other items you can get from a donor. I would say a low of $2K to a medium of $4k, to a high of $6-7K if you have it done.

I bought a wrecked Riviera, so I got the engine, trans, wiring harness, ECM and axles. I parted out the balance of the car, and actually made money on the deal. If you have to buy an engine drop out, seems like the going price is $800-$2000, depending on year and what you get.

If you can do your own wiring harness, and you get the donor harness, the wiring is pretty inexpensive- maybe $100. If you buy a ready to install harness, budget $500-$650

Motor , Alternator and Transmission mounts can cost from $100 - $500, depending on how much you can fabricate vs purchase.

If you are staying ( or going) manual, you can add another $700+ for Clutch and Flywheel. If you use the donor trans, it's cheaper. May only need some mounts, and maybe an Axle or 2.

Exhaust will cost about $200-$500 in parts, plus the labor to fabricate and weld.

ECM Programming can cost around $100. You can do it your self if you have HP tuners, but that cost's another $500+

Figure at least $500 more for other stuff, like radiator hoses, Spark Plug Lines, fuel lines, cold air input, etc. That figure can easily double ( or more) depending on how clean you want to make your install ( things like replacing the firewall insulation, replacing engine gaskets, rebuilding supercharger bushing, etc)

One other thing I did was to prepare the vehicle for the increase in power- Better brakes, rebuilt suspension w/ new bushings, new cradle bushings, New radiator, Battery Relocation. This can add another $1000 to the total.

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock