ever tried borescope and what are your thoughts by freedom0226
Started on: 02-01-2016 01:22 AM
Replies: 18 (397 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 02-27-2016 03:11 PM
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/...291639997388&alt=web

For android. Seems super cheap and very useful.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Domtech

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one from amazon with full size USB and have used it with my phone thru an OTG adapter.
I like with this one that it has micro USB with the adapter for PC.

These cheap USB bore scopes just act like generic USB webcams.
When you plug in a USB webcam to an OTG equipped android device it overrides the secondary camera on the device.

These USB bore scopes have a few nice advantages over the ones with their own screens:
Cheap
Portable
You can save images/record video
freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was nice also and purchased theone in that link. let's see..
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one almost just like the ebay one.....its not as good as I had thought it would be.
But it has its application.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2016 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a cheap one with it's own built in screen....probably about the same resolution. It's ok for what it is. Serves a purpose...but don't expect huge amounts of detail.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one, doesn't work on all phones, it doesn't work on my ZTE.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 02-26-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2016 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Side note:
If USB ____ said works on PC.... Many work only w/ 32bit OS.
I seen Web cams, SD readers, etc, say work w/ Win7 but left out the fact only w/ 32 bit x86, not 64 bit x64.

This is why I keep a copy of WinXP alive as VM to use Devices that don't have 64 bit drivers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:
Serves a purpose...but don't expect huge amounts of detail.

Plenty of detail!

It turns out an update on my phone allowed me to use my borescope. This is a cheap $14 one found all over eBay.

This is what it looks like with the light on, the glare from the light is making the image milky and I had no light to adjust the brightness. Bees are attracted to lights so bringing a flashlight out with me would not have been a good idea. The light on the camera eventually made the bees swarm all over it, blocking the camera.

Bees balled up, 11pm 44° outside.

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats alot of beeeeeeeees
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That cluster of bees is probably only the size of a football.......

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What have readers seen and properly diagnosed ...e.g. in the bore of an engine? Or maybe in the valve gear through the oil fill hole?
PFF
System Bot
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

That cluster of bees is probably only the size of a football.......

ONLY the size of a football?!?!?!?!?!?!

[This message has been edited by trivet (edited 02-26-2016).]

freedom0226

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the exact same eBay one and I was able to put it into the spark plug hole and confirm top dead center when I was having doubts
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used mine to find a leak in a hose running under the supercharger in my XJR. It saved me from having to remove the SC. I also used it find a leak in a hose on a friend's Volvo's turbo, which allowed us to order the right hose the first time and be confident in the repair. I bought it for and initially used it to confirm the diagnosis from a leakdown tester on our race car - leakdown said it was a bottom end problem, boroscope confirmed a dime-sized hole in the piston. Ooops.

I've had it for about five years and rarely use it, but those few times it's really saved a lot of time. For $15, it's certainly worth having around.

Edit: Oh yeah - I also used it to inspect the condition of the cat on a Jetta I flipped. And I snaked it into the door panel of a BMW to find out why the side airbag fault kept setting (answer: someone had removed the airbag!)
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I forgot it may be useful outside also. I might look into one.
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2016 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I look into my oil pan from the timing chain cover to suck out junk from the chain guide with the vacuum cleaner.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never used one on a car, but used them lots of times to inspect blades on fully assembled gas turbine engines back in the late 70s. Tedious and the units were very expensive back then.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use one that is connected to a PC to check my ears. Works great!

Heh
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2016 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, I just saw this thread, after posting a video to my build thread just yesterday. I paid $17 for the Endoscope from Wish.com. Plugs right into my Samsung Note 3, no adapter or OTG cable needed) and can take pictures and record from the camera. No issues with it as of yet.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock