1984 Throttle cable length by bigblockfieropacecar
Started on: 01-22-2016 02:10 AM
Replies: 4 (289 views)
Last post by: Rodney on 01-23-2016 06:14 AM
bigblockfieropacecar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how long is the stock throttle cable on a 1984 Fiero?
I don't want to disable my car just to find out the length and then sit around waiting for the new longer cable to arrive.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2016 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck finding a longer one. Most cars have a cable that is much much shorter.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That job really sucked. You really got to tear the car apart to get in there and work on that.
The cable ended up being 9 feet long. I didn't plan this job well enough and so I ended up stranded just like I hoped would not happen and my girlfriend had to come over and drive me around to get different parts.

I got the braided Spectra 3' cable from AutoZone and left the original sheth in place. Starting from the carburetor side I installed the braided cable then cut the stock sheathing where I wanted and coupled the two Sheaths together.

All done, the answer is 9' for my application.
bigblockfieropacecar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bigblockfieropacecarSend a Private Message to bigblockfieropacecarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bigblockfieropacecar

90 posts
Member since Apr 2014
That job really sucked. You really got to tear the car apart to get in there and work on that.
The cable ended up being 9 feet long. I didn't plan this job well enough and so I ended up stranded just like I hoped would not happen and my girlfriend had to come over and drive me around to get different parts.

I got the braided Spectra 3' cable from AutoZone and left the original sheth in place. Starting from the carburetor side I installed the braided cable then cut the stock sheathing where I wanted and coupled the two Sheaths together.

All done, the answer is 9' for my application.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2016 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One trick that might be helpful to some but too late for you is on my 88 Mera I moved my cruise control unit behind my trunk. The Mera is longer and behind the trunk under a cover is about a foot of unused space save the tail lights and reverse lights housings. I spent a length of time in a local junk yard and found a short cruise cable from some (probably GM) car. I made a bracket and inserted the existing cruise cable into one end and the short cable into the other end. It was steel. I probably drilled the ends and filed the holes to be square. Then I made some kind of clamp to clamp the 2 cables together. Works great for many years now. When I first bought my 88 Mera someone at a car show said that is a GM cruise control unit. So I hid it so no one would ever see it again.

Rodney Dickman
1988 Mera

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock