Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Finally some proof about wheels+tires affecting a dyno.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Finally some proof about wheels+tires affecting a dyno. by lou_dias
Started on: 01-20-2016 01:59 PM
Replies: 7 (293 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 01-20-2016 10:33 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.audizine.com/for...-on-wheel-horsepower

In all 3 cases, the wheel+tire combination overall diameter was kept the same. However, the weight of the wheels caused a measured effect on RWHP.

What's even more interesting is that the weight of the wheels almost linearly affected the torque. I guess this would also relate to lighter flywheels...

...also makes me want to go back to stock brakes/rotors...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 01-20-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2016 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Ford Mustang GT350 R is the first production car to come with carbon fiber wheels. I read the raw numbers, but cannot quote them. Motor Trend mentions that we should invest in carbon fiber.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

The Ford Mustang GT350 R is the first production car to come with carbon fiber wheels. I read the raw numbers, but cannot quote them. Motor Trend mentions that we should invest in carbon fiber.

Yeah but custom carbon fiber wheels cost about $2000 per wheel last time I looked...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2016 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Yeah but custom carbon fiber wheels cost about $2000 per wheel last time I looked...

I did not bring up cost? Just notification. Knowledge. Much like your original post. Sorry if I commented.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

http://www.audizine.com/for...-on-wheel-horsepower

In all 3 cases, the wheel+tire combination overall diameter was kept the same. However, the weight of the wheels caused a measured effect on RWHP.

What's even more interesting is that the weight of the wheels almost linearly affected the torque. I guess this would also relate to lighter flywheels...

...also makes me want to go back to stock brakes/rotors...

I don't think it's a revelation... but maybe I am missing something? That article is from like four years ago - I thought it was widely known that rotating mass disappears power... ?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Imagine the results on a 140 hp Fiero that originally had 14" wheels and is now rocking 20" chrome wheels!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I had my Challenger, many of us (Challenger owners) participated in a "dyno day" at a shop near here.
The cars with the 18" (base R/T) wheels seemed to do incrementally better than the cars with 20" wheels.
Made more of a difference than we noticed between the cars with 3.73 and 3.94 rear axle ratios.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

When I had my Challenger, many of us (Challenger owners) participated in a "dyno day" at a shop near here.
The cars with the 18" (base R/T) wheels seemed to do incrementally better than the cars with 20" wheels.
Made more of a difference than we noticed between the cars with 3.73 and 3.94 rear axle ratios.

That's just it. Gears and tire diameters don't affect a dyno, but weight does.
I originally dyno'd my 3.4 at 187rwhp then I started moving to bigger wheels+tires for traction at the track and lost power. I'm pretty sure the weight difference was more than 10 lbs. I'm currently running 315/35-17x9.5's and dyno'd at about 164 rwhp. My original dyno was with 255/50-16x8's. Last year, I was running 275/40's on the 17's and dyno'd in the low 170's. My weight distribution also move outwards. It would be easier to spin the tires if the weight was centered towards the axis of spin. With the weight moving away from center, the load on the motor is increased.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 01-20-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock