Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How long before bondo needs to be painted?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How long before bondo needs to be painted? by Neils88
Started on: 01-19-2016 11:31 PM
Replies: 4 (2702 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 01-20-2016 04:43 PM
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I casually asked this in my build thread, but not sure if anyone noticed the question (gets lost in the thread).

Simple question....how long can I leave Bondo unpainted?

Of course, if this was on a metal panel, then the answer is...get the panel painted as soon as possible otherwise the moisture in the air will be absorbed by the Bondo promoting rust in the adjacent metal. But in this case, the metal is not a concern since it is all completely encapsulated in fiberglass, well below the Bondo. So in this case, how long can I leave the Bondo (over the fiberglass) exposed? It is kept inside my garage, and the humidity level isn't especially high here.

The main problem is that I don't own a compressor or paint sprayer. It's a big purchase that I'm not quite ready for yet. I don't want to use rattle can paint since that will likely have a detrimental effect later when I paint properly. My friend suggested using Eastwood 2K aerosol, which is essentially similar to painting properly with a compressor...but the cost of the (single use) primer and paint would be $50+. Add shipping, exchange rate, etc, I'm suddenly up around $100+ CDN. For a single part, this seems extreme....I would almost be better off biting the bullet and getting the big compressor/spray equipment.

Can I just leave it for now and then make sure it is heated up later to ensure all moisture comes out? I have no experience in this area...any thoughts would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seal it or trapped moister after paint can/will blister the paint when sun heats the panel.

is a pain but prime and paint w/ spray cans if going to drive because road salt etc get inside any small bondo holes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are not going to drive the car, and your garage is reasonably air-tight, no paint is necessary....especially in low-humidity winter weather. I would cover it with plastic to keep oil and grease off the surface.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just coat it with spray can paint or 2 part catalyzed primer. Bare filler soaks up water like a sponge. So does regular primer. I always laugh at people who spray can primer over rust spots to stop it. It only makes it rust faster. I usually just use any old gloss spray paint. I wouldnt advise putting plastic over it as it traps the moisture in the air underneath promoting more rust...unless your car is outside in the weather. With just a coat of glossy cheap enamel spray paint, when your ready to work on it again, it cleans off with thinner or light sanding.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone. I'll likely go the cheaper route since I already have lots of regular primer/paint on hand. I'll just take extra care when it's time to paint the car fully and make sure I sand it all off. Rust isn't an issue here...just making sure the Bondo doesn't sit and absorb moisture while I complete the rest of the build.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock