Hello and did I just get a GM product? by Pancake
Started on: 01-18-2016 12:50 PM
Replies: 11 (387 views)
Last post by: Australian on 01-19-2016 02:02 AM
Pancake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So first a little info, I loathe 80s GM cars. I grew up around Supras, owned an RX7, a mess of 70-80s BMWs (I still have an E30 and an E34 wagon) and while I'd driven a lot of 80s GM vehicles all of them were... frankly pretty awful. The Celebrities and Luminas I get why, but also a fair number of 3rd gen F-bodies (2.8, 305, and one nice 350) along with many trucks. I picked up the Fiero trading a Montero I never drove and frankly I'm a bit baffled; was this car built by the same GM? The 4 speed Muncie is pretty bad and the interior design isn't that great, but the chassis and engineering is actually pretty good. I guess I'm pleasantly surprised

No, I'm not planning on leaving it stock. My whole interest in the Fiero was the potential of the spaceframe and I'd never owned a mid-engine car. I've been reading the 3800 vs Northstar debate for several weeks and am still torn; a supercharged 3800 engine running a turbo (in the trunk space) intercooled with about 14psi sounds like a lot of fun at it would hit hard low unlike the n* that needs to spin out.

So apparently I own an 80s GM car... and I don't hate it... huh

Also are their any good Fiero resources to chat with around Portland, OR? Doesn't seem to be too much of a following in the NW

[This message has been edited by Pancake (edited 01-18-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to realize that when the Fieros were built was after the gasoline crisis of the 70s and the 55 mph national speed limit. It was sold to GM by the designers as a two seater commuter car and not as a high performance cars like we see today. When the Fiero came out with it 2.8L V6, with 135-140 HP, that was decent HP at that time. I bought my first Fiero new in 1987 and still have it with 154,000 on the odometer and have spent $$ on its upkeep.

I now have three Fieros. http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7056/VbadlM.jpg an 88 GT with a 3.4V6 with a four speed auto and an 88 IMSA built by V8 Archie with a ZZ4 V8, five speed getrag. (too fast for this old guy)

The Fieros are fun as a driver, and I use them any more for car shows, but drive them sanely as it gets pricey to fix them when something breaks.
Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, 80s GM except that Grand National and Regal T-types. I've loved those for a long time

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!
Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

You need to realize that when the Fieros were built was after the gasoline crisis of the 70s and the 55 mph national speed limit. It was sold to GM by the designers as a two seater commuter car and not as a high performance cars like we see today. When the Fiero came out with it 2.8L V6, with 135-140 HP, that was decent HP at that time. I bought my first Fiero new in 1987 and still have it with 154,000 on the odometer and have spent $$ on its upkeep.

I now have three Fieros. http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7056/VbadlM.jpg an 88 GT with a 3.4V6 with a four speed auto and an 88 IMSA built by V8 Archie with a ZZ4 V8, five speed getrag. (too fast for this old guy)

The Fieros are fun as a driver, and I use them any more for car shows, but drive them sanely as it gets pricey to fix them when something breaks.

Ayeaup, I know it well. Most of my list is from the 80s. I tend to compare most cars to my 88 325i, hands down my favorite car to date. Same era of design, though just after the gas crisis/malaize had lifted with the ETA motors. I suppose what really struck me is I've driven C4 corvettes and v8 Camaros, stuff marketed as performance cars in that era I'd take the fiero over that anyday
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pancake, welcome to the forum. There are a number of us from Northwest Oregon on here occasionaly. Many seem to come and go. If you need parts, contact Lucas at fierolucas@gmail.com. He is a constant when it comes to used Fiero parts, since he continues to part Fiero's on occasion. Having had 7 Fiero's over the last 8 years, I find you can give these cars pretty much any personality you would like. Customize and modify to your hearts content, just don't mess with the really good ones! Good luck with your purchase, and again, welcome to Fiero's
Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:
Customize and modify to your hearts content, just don't mess with the really good ones!

No worries, this car wasn't a shining example of a showroom stock. The PO had sprayed the interior a pretty obnoxious red and the car itself has been rattlecanned into an Indy pacecar lookalike. Coming from classic BMWs I really try to leave the nice ones alone and get the basketcase project cars as "projects"

robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome !!
Pancake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this shows my car vice well. I really need to finish the bodywork on the wagon but I've been daily driving it
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes Engineers can get away with all sorts of great things when the managers and bean counters aren't looking Also helps if you have pride in your project. I doubt the guys who designed the Citation worked nearly as hard.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fierostore.com/P...%20%20PAIR&d=273&p=1
The Fiero Store a good source of new parts.
The Vegas club also has alot of used parts. (link in my sig)

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well seems you know about cheap handling cars with mods the e30 and fiero are great handling cars. Restored a Baur couple of years ago.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock