My New 85 GT by Phirewire
Started on: 01-18-2016 01:02 AM
Replies: 11 (403 views)
Last post by: Phirewire on 02-07-2016 02:16 PM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, it has been about 2 years, I am living a more comfortable life and decided it was time to get back into the unforgettable Fiero lifestyle. I just picked up an 1985 Fiero GT with a 4spd.

I'm no starter to manual transmission cars, I've even driven a 5spd 4cyl fiero before, yet I pulled a rookie movie and stalled it like a king numerous times trying to pull out. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why was feeling the clutch grab, easing into it and stall, and stall, and yet again stall. And then it came to me, this might be 3rd. Lo and behold, 1st gear likes to hide on this car or maybe I am special.

Has anyone else run into this issue? reverse, 1st and 3rd are all very close? if its not just me what is the trick, or does it grow on you?

Now some info on the car, It is a 1985 Fiero GT 2.8 V6 with a 4spd manual trans. It has on the odometer 70,xxx miles but is said to have only truly 40,xxx. Now I'm never one to believe such a story but after inspection of the car, it appears to be possible. The normal inspection of a Fiero for me consist of, Trunk Corners, Battery Tray, Seats & Carpet, Electronics, Sunroof Seal, Paint, and Front Compartment.

So the tour showed me a few things, no rust in trunk or by the battery tray ( A+ ). Seats and Carpet have no tears and are relatively mint condition, but headliner is torn and console pieces are warping ( B- ). Electronics seem to all function though, windows go slow, Aftermarket headlights were installed and there is a drain on the battery ( D ). Sunroof seal appears to be fair but will need replacing window seals are fair ( B ). Paint, this one is amazing to me because the paint on certain parts of car are perfect. Off the show room floor quality and then I am told the rest the previous owner attempted to "Buff" and put burn marks and wear into (Note previous owner also "went to school" for auto body and detailing) sadly this leaves paint with a low grade ( F ). And last the front compartment showed no rust, a perfect spare no dirt or grime, all tire tools in place sadly just missing sunroof bag ( B )

So overall I am happy there is a list of things forming and an order to them progressing. Some aftermarket side scoops will be installed (Fiero Warehouse?), Flushmount headlights, ABS headliner, ABS door panels (Fiero Store), Wheels and tires, led side markers, and Paint.

Pretty set on all the pieces I want just stuck on a color, currently red want something different. Always loved white Fieros, but also love Gun Metal Gray, and Army Green Matte.

Quick run out tomorrow to grab a few things for the car then I will update the thread with some fresh pictures.

Glad to be Back, and hopefully doing this right,
Cody
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

Lo and behold, 1st gear likes to hide on this car or maybe I am special.

Has anyone else run into this issue? reverse, 1st and 3rd are all very close? if its not just me what is the trick, or does it grow on you?

The select (side to side) cable is often a problem with the Getrag 5-spds because of how it mounts on the tranny (pointing straight up) which allows water to get in the end of the cable and promote corrosion. Although it's certainly possible your 4-spd select cable is overly stiff, maybe you're right... perhaps you're just "special".

And welcome back!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-18-2016).]

Tinkrr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the double post

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 01-20-2016).]

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tinkrr

412 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I too have an 85GT. Perhaps fifteen years ago I experienced a vague shifter gate. Reverse, first and third were difficult to find. I found the shifter detent spring and the post it mounts on laying beside the shifter.
As a temporary solution I bent a 15mm wide piece of stainless flat bar to match the contour of the shifter baseplate. In the bar stock I drilled a hole to facilitate mounting on the shifter baseplate by removing the front left mounting nut., slipping the bar stock over the stud and replacing the nut. At the location where the detent support rod spotweld in the baseplate had failed, I drilled a second hole in the bar stock. Then I inserted a 4X50mm aluminum rivet, the detent spring, the detent bar, a suitable sized tap washer, a matching steel flat washer(to act as a bump stop) and peined over the end of the rivet to hold the whole mechanism together. It worked perfectly returning the origonal feel and reverse gate function.

Then I went on ebay and ordered a replacement shifter mechanism.

My plan was to replace the shifter assembly with the one I purchsed on ebay then drill out the broken spot weld and repair the shifter by rewelding the post to the base plate.

I've never gotten arround to it. The temporary fix continues to perform flawlessly. I did clean up the replacement shifter, oiled it to stop it from rusting and stored it in an old Tupperware container on a shelf in my garage where it still awaits the call to duty.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 GT 4 speed (should be the same transmission as yours.)

Reverse is very obvious because it slides in gear further up. 1st and 3rd are 'close' but I haven't encountered issues on selecting the wrong gear. This car is also the same car that I learned to drive a manual on, so I could just be use to it.

As Patrick mentioned, the 4 speed seems to have an issue of being 'stiff'. I haven't tried the selector cable adjustment, but that is mainly due to confusions.

My Haynes, and Chilton manuals both say to put the car in 1st gear. Where as, on the forums people say to put it in 3rd gear. But that is a different story.

Congrats on getting a new ride tho

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2016 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

As Patrick mentioned, the 4 speed seems to have an issue of being 'stiff'.

Ummm... that's not quite what I said.

Originally posted by Patrick:

The select (side to side) cable is often a problem with the Getrag 5-spds...

Tinkrr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinkrrSend a Private Message to TinkrrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I experienced the 85GT 4speed stiffness problem when the car was cold, once up to operating temperafure the problem would go away.

I changed out the transmision fluid with Synchromesh full synthhetic 5W30 manual transmission fluid as recommended all over this forum. The transmission now shifts as smooth as silk, irrespective of temperature, just as promised.

[This message has been edited by Tinkrr (edited 01-20-2016).]

Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So little late to the show but that beautiful 3 ft of snow put a stop to any good photos.

So just as evidence;

It is under there;

Now, I did finally get a chance to tear into the car with the first known issue and that would be the draw on the battery. PO decided best solution was to put a kill switch in instead of finding the drain. Now a few things I know the previous owner installed;

Radio, HID headlights, Gauges, A Led tail light strip, and the kill switch.

I made the assumption he was not a very good installer when i attempted to try the radio that was installed and only one speaker played. So while still snowed in i decided to pull out the radio.

Add to the list I need a new radio bezel.

Beautiful can you find the problems? Other than instead of buying the $10 harness we decided to just cut it and wire it in with there mad wiring skills.

Sadly that was not the source of the draw so I need to continue on to the lights and the gauges. Ugh.

Still positive 70k on odometer and the corners are beautiful.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why did he join the constant and switched battery powers into one common for the stereo? And what's the stripped wires out of focus in the back?
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Why did he join the constant and switched battery powers into one common for the stereo? And what's the stripped wires out of focus in the back?

So, switched and constant are wired together into 1 then seperates them again into 2 wires. (why I have no idea) In the background I found multiple ground wires cut, along with Illumination wire running to a speaker wire. There are a few other things. I got to get a new harness an do some repairs

Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phirewire

1531 posts
Member since May 2012
I assume the rest of the wiring he did is similar so out it all goes.

this is the rats nest i removed for that quality radio install.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I did start my shopping list though, so far I have a Fiero Logo'd shifter being ordered from Rodney, and I can't make up my mind to tackle the interior or the body first on the car before i order the next set of things. Suggestions?

Interior wise I am thinking, ABS door panels and headliner from fierostore, along with a new dark color interior, GT wheel and a few pieces that have warped and damaged over the years.

Or;

New rear imsa scoops, paint, Flush mount headlights and wheels for the outside.

I wanna do this step by step, rather than doing piece by piece.

[This message has been edited by Phirewire (edited 01-31-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2016 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So got a new battery and tracked the draw down to a specific circuit. Still looking into that but new issue. Its been awhile since i've driven stick but Its like riding a bike, the issue I am having is once moving I have issues going into gears. So trying to downshift from 3rd to second it won't let me do, also trying to go into first from a stop at times it won't let me do.

Example drove down the road got all the way threw all 4 gears, came to a stop sign put it in neutral coasted to the stop got ready to go clutch in try to go into first and it will act like there is no gear there, only will let me put it in reverse and third. Obviously can't take off in 3rd and reverse does me no good. Any ideas, tried pumping the clutch no avail. Has a new master cyl.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock