Trying to buy this choptop by Bluwolf
Started on: 01-05-2016 09:39 AM
Replies: 38 (1261 views)
Last post by: joshua riedl on 05-21-2016 09:41 PM
Bluwolf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been trying to buy this fiero ever since it's been listed. I know it was a members fiero at one time and gave seen the build tread...
I live about 13hrs away from him and the communication has been extremely poor to say the least...wondering if anybody else has had dealings with this guy...

http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/5363604450.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool car

Cheap too
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd that he calls it a fastback...
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it fake because why would anyone sell it that cheap.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-05-2016).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Is it fake because why would anyone sell it that cheap.

Says there is a frame issue...who knows what that means!?

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 01-05-2016).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, claims he was cheated, then proved he wouldn't know it if he was.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-05-2016).]

Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2016 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses guys. He doesn't come off as the typical scammer, but as somebody extremely slow in response. However their are the small clues like stated fastback when it's a notchback, I have asked for pictures of the motor and the subframe issue..still waiting for a response...

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you try calling him?
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is going to be your donor body as it needs a new chassis. So buy 2 fieros.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 01-06-2016).]

Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have tried calling him couple of times and I have left a message on his voicemail...

I already have a couple of parts fieros, so If I would need a donor I already have one...this is not my first project car, but thanks for pointing that out...
WickedFieroGTP

Feedback score:    (44)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WickedFieroGTPSend a Private Message to WickedFieroGTPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have watched this car get passed along for the last couple of years. The first time I saw it I want to say it was out in California. It has slowly made its way east. I spoke to one of the owners and from my understanding there is some pretty severe chassis corrosion on this vehicle. That's why I passed on it a while back. The asking price was substantially higher at that time as well. That being said if you can get it as a donor car at that price or maybe a little cheaper, I don't think its a bad deal for what you would get.
PFF
System Bot
Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks wickedfierogtp for the information. ..considering your information and that he has not really been communicating, I will probably consider that a sign that it's not meant to be and keep looking or start from scratch
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a choptop, I think I know where one is for sale, but it's not a finished car, and not that cheap, but it is a fastback, and good chassis, IIRC. And it's on east coast, so quite a distance from MN.
Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might be interested dobey, send me a pm with the details...Thanks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bluwolf, I'm also in South MN, you should check out the Minnesota Fieros forever club if you havent yet.
http://www.fiero.mn.org/
Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link 2.5...it's been many years since I've been on their site...I will have to give it another look tonight when I have more time

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure, they are on facebook too. If you have a Fiero, or even if you dont you could try and get to Frazee Mn the last weekend of July too for a good place to meet some cool Fieroheads.
http://www.tylershipmanmemo...m/2016-car-show.html

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is listed as a fastback.

Bah, strike that. I skimmed the thread & then after I posted I see it's already been pointed out.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 01-06-2016).]

Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
finally after a couple more texts and a phone call, I was able to talk to him today. Sounds like the chassis or frame has seen better days. Rust issues as stated...The alternator of the motor is hitting the chassis when it is running, the motor is flexing alot in the car and it still has axle issues yet also...

He supposed to get me some pictures later today or tomorrow. ...

If I can get a few pictures and work out a deal with him...I hope to use it as a donor....time will tell what happens
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to check if the side windows are some of the Glass ones that have been made or plexiglass. If its the glass ones, it may be a decent buy just to part it out, as I dont think anyone has choptop side windows available right now.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's glass
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Make sure to check if the side windows are some of the Glass ones that have been made or plexiglass. If its the glass ones, it may be a decent buy just to part it out, as I dont think anyone has choptop side windows available right now.

There are folks that have glass chop top windows stashed in their parts room. The right offer might convince them to sell.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the frame is rotted on this choptop, be prepared to start the build process again on a new frame. The roof ,windshield, its frame, rear window , its frame and side glass all must be cut, welded, refitted and re-sized . Point is that its not just a bolt on job. You can't easily build a chop from a parts car chop top.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too bad ^ ^ ^

That really is a tastefully done car.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2016 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
If the frame is rotted on this choptop, be prepared to start the build process again on a new frame. The roof ,windshield, its frame, rear window , its frame and side glass all must be cut, welded, refitted and re-sized . Point is that its not just a bolt on job. You can't easily build a chop from a parts car chop top.

The rear glass on the choptop is probably a sheet of lexan anyway. And if the side windows are glass, it saves trying to find them elsewhere. The windshield I think is just laid back further than on the stock cars, but is the same size. If it's an Archie choptop, then it's just a matter of following the instructions to chop another chassis in the exact same place. Then one can swap the body over without having to do all the cutting on the body and the repair work there. Also, if one wants a widebody notchback choptop, particularly in the color the car already is, then it's going to be cheaper to swap the body than finding another notchback, buying the complete widebody and choptop kits, and doing (or paying someone else to do) all the labor, and getting it painted.

If one knows what they are doing, then it is possible to easily build a chop top using this car for parts, and save money versus buying all the necessary kits and tools and doing all the cutting, welding, and body work.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not an Archie chop and its not a widebody.
Chopping it to fit the Windows is not a big deal.
I'm not sure if the roof was widened on this one or not.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 01-07-2016).]

Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis I appreciate your concern on that it's not an easy project. I have owned many fieros and kit cars. I am we'll aware of what I'm getting into

The reason I am interested in it is for the reasons dobey stated....it has a lot of things that I want on it and I think I can save time and money...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The rear glass on the choptop is probably a sheet of lexan anyway.

Still the metal frame must be resized and fabricated to fit the smaller rear window

And if the side windows are glass it saves trying to find them elsewhere. The windshield I think is just laid back further than on the stock cars, but is the same size.

To set the windshield back requires gutting the interior, cutting and welding

If it's an Archie choptop, then it's just a matter of following the instructions to chop another chassis in the exact same place. Then one can swap the body over without having to do all the cutting on the body and the repair work there.

I see this an a huge task. All body panels must be removed. Your cuts need to be precise and your welds right on the money

Also, if one wants a widebody notchback choptop, particularly in the color the car already is, then it's going to be cheaper to swap the body than finding another notchback, buying the complete widebody and choptop kits, and doing (or paying someone else to do) all the labor, and getting it painted.

Cheaper, yes. Less work no. You still must fanricate the replacement chop top frame just as if you started from the beginning. IMO, this is a job for an expert.

If one knows what they are doing, then it is possible to easily build a chop top using this car for parts, and save money versus buying all the necessary kits and tools and doing all the cutting, welding, and body work.

Easily?
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-07-2016).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that car is one of 2 cars built by Joshua Reidl out of Watertown, WI. He had them at the Dells in 2009. He may have had the Orange car at The Dells in 2008 but I can't find any pictures.

It's not one of my ChopTops, it was a Homebrew build.

I think he built the car in 2005-2006. He visited me at my shop in 2006 & we talked ChopTops & windows.

He was a pretty talanted car guy & fun to visit with.

He was/is a member on this Forum //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum8/HTML/000111.html

You might be able to get more details on the car from him by trying to contact him on PFF.

Here is a couple of pics I took in 2009.

Archie
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I would think it would be easier to just fix the rot on the frame. If the subframe is bad, replace it.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just depends on the rot. If it's too bad it's easier to just cop another car.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regardless of what HE thinks, a rotted out subframe makes this a parts car. For the right price it could be a good deal for the body, interior , drivetrain on a good chassis. Looks like a good buy for the $2000-2500 asking price. Just because he spent $4000+ doesnt make it worth that. I had nearly $20,000 in one I had, that I sold with 4000 miles on it for $5,000. Sounds like hes a not too motivated seller. Anything I advertised for sale, I contacted potential buyers immediately. With all the smart phones out there, theres no reason he cant respond quickly to questions.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-08-2016).]

Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pictures and link Archie...I will maybe try contacting Josh if I get it.

I got some pictures late last night of the engine bay area (all from the top)..the only thing you can tell is the alternator pulley is hitting the passenger side wheelwell ...the rest looks ok...yes, pictures can be deceiving....

He does seem to be extremely busy and, I agree, not motivated enough in selling, but at least I know he is legit. That's what I wanted to know... I am now trying to set up a time/date when it works for both of us to meet...

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

It just depends on the rot. If it's too bad it's easier to just cop another car.

Yes of course it depends, but chopping another car and moving all the good parts over is not a trivial thing either.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yes of course it depends, but chopping another car and moving all the good parts over is not a trivial thing either.

Agreed. The amount of rot or any other damage is unknown so it's hard to say. The good thing about fixing rotted Fieros is it doesn't have to be as pretty as long as all the body mounts are where they belong and its strong.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Agreed. The amount of rot or any other damage is unknown so it's hard to say. The good thing about fixing rotted Fieros is it doesn't have to be as pretty as long as all the body mounts are where they belong and its strong.

Yes this is true. To fix steel bodied cars you have to be a craftsman at welding and metal working tools. On a Fiero you can have monkey sh!t welds and nobody will be the wiser. I have several Fiero carcasses I need to send to the scrap yard and I'm tempted to save the nice and solid frame rails but not sure if anyone is doing frame repair anymore or if they prefer to move all the good parts over to a new frame.
Bluwolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluwolfSend a Private Message to BluwolfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought I would give an update. I was able to buy this choptop at the end of january...it had motor mount issues. With bolts missing, snaped, or loose, causing the motor to lean into the shock tower...for the most part it was a simple fix with the right tolls...with the weather finally getting nice in mn I have drove it a couple times...wow what a fun ride...I'm not exactly thrilled with the getrag 5spd...geared a little high on the rpms and the clutch doesn't always release a 100%...

The body has paint chips here and their, but is in mostly good shape. The only down fall is my mistake not checking the decklid latched before leaving detroit...being hauled backwards it ruined the decklid folding it in two...

The frame is not perfect and has had rust issues on the trunk, and a few other places underneath, but most of those have been treated, sandblasted, and undercoated at one time..nothing hugely concerning, but the car is not in mint shape for anybody wondering...but I consider it a great buy for what it is..

If anybody has joushua contact information, I would be grateful...I'm trying to find out the mods done to it, the ecm work, etc..if I would ever need replacement parts
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2016 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yes this is true. To fix steel bodied cars you have to be a craftsman at welding and metal working tools. On a Fiero you can have monkey sh!t welds and nobody will be the wiser. I have several Fiero carcasses I need to send to the scrap yard and I'm tempted to save the nice and solid frame rails but not sure if anyone is doing frame repair anymore or if they prefer to move all the good parts over to a new frame.

We are always looking for frame rails up here, I replace them for people when they bring me a set.

Far as that car in pics I got a good look at it in the dells too. Sure its rotted? didnt seem that bad a few years back.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a spec 3+ clutch. If you push it in too far it doesn't release. I went through an automatic a 4 speed and then the f23. I couldn't get traction at the track and gave up trying. When I owned it it was the fastest n/a v6 and was hoping for 12's. A pair of slicks may get it there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock